• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Should you know if your neighbor owns a gun?

I wonder how my possessing a LTC and owning a firearm (or several) presents an inherent danger to my neighbor.
On the other hand, my neighbor is a retired LEO - following the Globe's rationale should I be worried about him?

Do my neighbors know? Don’t ask don’t tell. I suppose anybody who’s been here a few years has seen me mow the lawn in camos. And come out of the garage to put an ammo can or 3 in my truck box. I know exactly which of my neighbors is a firearms owner . Except 1 he might be , but probably I would think a one box chuck with a six shot revolver if any. About 50% of my neighborhood works for the town or the school system, pretty easy to figure where their politics are.

Last edited:
Let me get straight: they want to know who has a license. Privacy law issues aside, this is basically an invitation to all criminals to go "shopping" for guns and ammo: get a list of addresses, stake them, when nobody at home break-in with one of those $100 Home Depot cordless grinders and help yourself to all the arms and ammo you want!

They come close to identifying one of the issues with licenses in MA - that local police chiefs and departments have too much authority in controlling who gets a license. But what's going to happen if they push on this to the courts is that local police will lose their authority to restrict 2A rights because the current state of affairs is hardly constitutional, open to all sorts of corruption.

Legally should you know? No. Should be pretty easy to figure out though. Would have to be blind to miss things like gun cases or giant cardboard boxes with the manufacturer name on it. My neighbor just guessed I own guns and came back from the range because I was wearing a brown Mystery Ranch bag.

I suppose I need to keep the garage door shut all the time then. Couple of steel 3 legged target stands , for the public range, trap launcher on a spare tire stand, lots of Advertising stuff along the walls.Couple open cases of orange trap birds and the coat hooks by the door with the camo clothes on them. Nope no sportsman lives here !! Next house!

As long as they take the bodies away. I'd think you'd have pretty good 'reasonable suspicion' of why someone was breaking into your house, while you were there. They'd need the safe opened, hence the home invasion.

Real life 'bring out your dead' moment.

I don't need to know if my neighbors own guns or not. None of my business what they have in their homes just as it's none of their business to know what I have here.

I do know one of mine does own guns only because we go shooting together. He knows what I have and I know what he has. Others around me may have guns. One is retired from the Navy, other walks around with a AR-15 shirt sometimes. Third is a fire fighter. I think I would be more surprises to know they didn't have something.

If they told everyone where the pedophiles and communists lived then I’m sure they would find out who has guns.

You can find out where all the known pedos in your town walking into any library or police station. They'll even show you a recent photo.

For the unregistered ones, just go down to the clerks office for a voter registration list, and work from the registered "D"s.

They've wanted our info to publish for many years now. They've attempted to get it from various PDs and the FRB. Nothing new here.
Remember the paper in NY (I think it was NY) that pulled that stunt and then shit a brick when the public doxed them back for it?
edit:
My recollection was the paper wound up hiring armed guards and getting sued by some gun owners whose homes were proven to have been burglarized because of the paper's a**h*** map. I think a few domestic violence victims which had guns to protect themselves sued to for having their addresses revealed too.

Last edited:
As someone living in suburban MA with kids I don’t advertise that I have guns and if it was ever leaked out I would be extremely angry, as any gun owner getting publicly identified by the government or the media should be.

Back
Top Bottom