Show Me Your '03 Springfield!

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
Another snowy weekend, and chores are done. I thought I'd start one of these "Show Me" threads myself.

Show me your '03 Springfield! Here's mine to start the show: My rifle makes the Oddball 10 list of '03 Springfields; web site address, http://m1903.com/odd1903/

A little background, cited from the article...

"Don't believe everything you read....
M1903A1 Rifle Made at Springfield but marked Rock Island

Rock Island Arsenal made Model 1903 rifles from 1906 to 1913, and 1917 to 1919. Later, all unfinished parts were shipped to Springfield. Among these parts were about 2,000 receivers that were nearly finished, and had already been marked " ROCK ISLAND ARSENAL" but not serial numbered or heat treated. About 1928 Springfield finished these parts, and made them into complete rifles, but left the Rock Island markings in place. Clearly marked ROCK ISLAND ARSENAL, but Rock Island only made rifles up into the low 400,000 range". [shocked]

Historical note: After 1919, The Rock Island machinery was put into storage. When contracted by the US Army to make 03 Springfields, Remington asked the Government to give them the Rock Island equipment so they could get the 03A1 into production faster. So if you have an 03A1 or 3 Remington, it was made on Rock Island machinery!

My receiver was marked, #423882, but not barreled at Rock Island.

1931 M1903 U.S. Springfield .306. Rock Island receiver #423882 (1919). Post production assembly variant; barreled at Springfield armory (8/1931), with original finish Springfield transitional Semi-C stock, original sling, blued finish about 95% turning brown. Four well marked cartouches (AA1, AA, S, and P). Superficial crack behind tang through AA cartouche. Based on the finish, this rifle was not rearsenaled during WWII. Barrel bright, no pitting, excellent. Only flaw is that a previous owner peened the front sight in place, forcing me to adjust the rear sight to compensate. Very accurate rifle, better than all my Mausers, as the elevation in an 03 is adjustable while a 98k's battle sight is fixed at 150 meters. My best shooting was 19 of 20 rounds of US 1967 surplus in a 5 inch circle at 100 yards, sitting without a rest.

Left
03L.jpg

Right
03R.jpg

AA1 and S (Springfield) cartouche
03AAS.jpg

P cartouche
03P.jpg

AA Cartouche
03AA.jpg

Rock Island Receiver
03REC.jpg

Receiver again
1931r.jpg

Springfield Barrel
03S31.jpg

MajSpud

Last edited:
03A3

Well, since I have only an 03 (albeit a weird one), I figured I would let others post as many variants as possible.

MajSpud

I AM NOT ALONE

you're not the only one with an RIA/Springfield ! This was assembled just a bit before yours.

COOL! ANOTHER ONE! I AM NOT ALONE! Based on the article and your rifle, my rifle must have been one of the very last to undergo completion at Springfield.

forum

Well, we could use the milsurp forum, but I found all the "Show Me" threads in "gun gallery". I guess the moderator could move this thread if they want to.

MajSpud

My little Christmas gift to myself

Picked this up from FS on Boxing Day. Trying to determine how much, and how, I want to clean-up/restore the stock...

RemingtonM190301.jpg

RemingtonM190304.jpg

RemingtonM190302.jpg

1943 Remington 03-A3. This rifle makes me look like a sharpshooter! The stock was refinished at some point in an (obviously) too light shade, but I think it looks pretty so I'm leaving it alone for now.
standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Pilgrim, you've just given me the most plausible, and concrete answers to that question that I've ever heard, even after months of asking about it on a MilSurp forum! I'm no woodworking expert, but I too didn't think just a lighter stain would make it look like that, but I had never heard of any coming with birch. Thanks.

that stock is beautiful. it looks to be beech or birch because it so light. a lot of the No4 Mk2 enfields have the same kind of deal with the stock being so perfect.

Back
Top Bottom