• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

SHTF Vehicle of Choice?

OK So I know this thread was started a while ago but the perfect vehicle for a get out of town in the SHTF situation is a HORSE. It can go anywhere, only needs food and water to run, can haul heavy loads and is a lot more quiet through the woods than any motorized vehicle. If Horses are not an option I would go with a great Trail Bike. Trucks lose their use once you get deeper in the woods...

I'd suggest a mule before a horse, but yes.

The wife says horses in the garage are out of the question. [laugh]

[laugh] When I was real young we lived in Atkinson, the neighbors across the street had horses, They kept them in the garage before they could afford to build a barn I think....it was an attached garage in a split entry. I cant imagine how it smelled in the house!

OK So I know this thread was started a while ago but the perfect vehicle for a get out of town in the SHTF situation is a HORSE. It can go anywhere, only needs food and water to run, can haul heavy loads and is a lot more quiet through the woods than any motorized vehicle. If Horses are not an option I would go with a great Trail Bike. Trucks lose their use once you get deeper in the woods...

unlike a gas powered vehicle, horses eat a shit ton every day they're not used between now and when you need them to bug out. They also need tack/farrier/vets/boarding/bedding/waste removal and frequent riding as 'upkeep' so they will be 'ready'

Plus, if you get hungry enough...

Actually a great point and I think you're the first to mention horses.

Anyone that has ever been in a blizzard while driving a serious 4x4, properly equipped with aggressive studded snows, full tank, supplies, etc., but stuck on a road absolutely CLOGGED with other cars that can't move, will appreciate something that can simply go around, through fields, between trees... and essentially unlimited gas, consuming vegetation that we can't eat anyway.

plenty of vegetation unless it's late fall, winter or spring before stuff grows

[laugh] When I was real young we lived in Atkinson, the neighbors across the street had horses, They kept them in the garage before they could afford to build a barn I think....it was an attached garage in a split entry. I cant imagine how it smelled in the house!

then, there's the smell [wink]

plus you have to deal with horse people, who are universally batshit freaking crazy. for a single rider, I'd rather have an ATV or an enduro, some Pri_G and a few jerry cans

Yamaha WR250R. Street legal, will do 90mph, gets 70-80 mpg, and has 11" of ground clearance and 10" of suspension. I'll replace the OEM tires with gnarlier models when they wear out. I've added a rear rack and have some saddle bags and tank bag. No scabbard, though!

image-L.jpg

Last edited:
Yamaha WR250R. Street legal, will do 90mph, gets 70-80 mpg, and has 11" of ground clearance and 10" of suspension. I'll replace the OEM tires with gnarlier models when they wear out.

image-L.jpg

Nice ride. I've been wanting one of these since i was a kid. Now that I'm less of a kid I think it's next on my list of excessive expenditures. Two wheels will definitely be useful in SHTF scenarios. Nice hardtail trail bike with beafy front fork would be key too; quiet, versitile, and doesn't need gas.

Will use my Ford Escape AWD. Comfort for 2people, can carry a reasonable amt. of stuff, gets 18 mpg, and, important to me, it's maneuverable,adequately powered, and reliable. Comfortable seats recline for sleeping if necessary. Just don't have any idea where I'd go. . .

anything with a diesel engine why? because almost every house in the northeast uses number 2 heating oil.

Last edited:
My wife and I both have Wrangler JKUs... well she does, TD Bank owns mine for the foreseeable future. I do have a carbed Harley but it has an electronic ignition. Not sure what sort of EMP resistance the wranglers have, but at that point... **** it.

I dont plan on going on any long distamce adventures in a zombie apocalypse. That said, I like having reliable and capable transportation. After that Ill "borrow" some vehicles more suited to a task if need be.

Mike

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...

I'd just use my current truck... 2015 Silverado 1500 double cab with a standard size bed and 5.3L V8. Can seat 6 if needed, inside the cab, and carry a lot in the bed. Plus I got the tow package, so I can haul more gear that way. Body is steel unlike the Furd trucks. Those you can put a hole in with a rock. [rofl2]

Nice ride. I've been wanting one of these since i was a kid. Now that I'm less of a kid I think it's next on my list of excessive expenditures. Two wheels will definitely be useful in SHTF scenarios. Nice hardtail trail bike with beafy front fork would be key too; quiet, versitile, and doesn't need gas.
WR250R is a phenomenal bike: 10" of suspension travel, 10" of ground clearance, averages 60 mpg and will hit close to 90 on the highway.

We have several mountain bikes but the WR is obviously farther, faster and can take 2 in a pinch.

WR250R is a phenomenal bike: 10" of suspension travel, 10" of ground clearance, averages 60 mpg and will hit close to 90 on the highway.

We have several mountain bikes but the WR is obviously farther, faster and can take 2 in a pinch.
But no gear

2003 dodge cummins 2500 quad cab. It will fit all of my preps, camping/bug out gear, And all of my weapons and ammo. It has great range. Can get about 550miles on a single tank. Has a lift and off road tires which will help where I'm headed plus is pretty quick for a 7000lb truck.

Beautiful! But where ya going to get parts the first time it breaks?

When the time comes, you can always just bolt in new parts. I doubt there's many places in the NE that will break that little jeepster. It's not like it has tight tolerances or anything. If things are 'that' bad, nothing will be running anyway. I'm still trying to find someone who will build me a wood gassifier so I can play with it. Build one large enough to power a truck and you don't even have to worry about fuel for the most part.

When the time comes, you can always just bolt in new parts. I doubt there's many places in the NE that will break that little jeepster. It's not like it has tight tolerances or anything. If things are 'that' bad, nothing will be running anyway. I'm still trying to find someone who will build me a wood gassifier so I can play with it. Build one large enough to power a truck and you don't even have to worry about fuel for the most part.
Yep, there is a guy in North Carolina that drives a Toyota pickup on a wood burning engine.

You make a good point about repairs. I think in a SHTF world an arc welder powered by a gas engine would be worth its weight in gold. You could frankenstein together parts from whatever vehicles are laying around to make something that drives. Damn, another prep item I want but won't ever get.[laugh]

Yep, there is a guy in North Carolina that drives a Toyota pickup on a wood burning engine.

This man knows his hip hop. Maybe when I retire I will have the time to build a gassifier. I read an article about a guy who drove cross country on 4 cord of wood. I think that's what he burned anyway.

Been having an absolute blast ripping around AZ with my girl and dog in this 03 Tacoma TRD. I just had a guy weld up a bed rack for it and put my Tepui Sky 3 tent on it. So far its proving to be a super capable overlanding/fun rig that will definitely serve us well if we ever need to GTFO. These trucks have proven themselves bigtime in GWOT, so im sure it can handle anything i toss at it.

GuMy7z1.jpg

ux9IjQs.jpg

4LXwyOD.jpg

Last edited:
What's the deal with the tent up above the truck bed? Looks like a lot of hassle fitting that thing to a truck, when you could just tent anywhere, and make better use of space.

What's the deal with the tent up above the truck bed? Looks like a lot of hassle fitting that thing to a truck, when you could just tent anywhere, and make better use of space.

It stays attached to the truck. It's always dry, off the ground, folds up on itself with a mattress in it, and it looks dope af for the gram.

#overlandlife

I'm just being snarky because I'm poor and would love to have a sick overlanding rig like snacks.

Doesn’t it depend on which side does the coup d etat?

If it’s a military junta, I’m jacking somebody’s SUV. If it’s ANTIFA, I’m taking my wife’s Prius.

Grey man FTW.

I assume I can either learn how to ride horseback or I will be walking. A motor vehicle is a nice idea. I'm not sure the gas or diesel will hold out for very long.
I figure we won't be Mad Max nomads. Get away from the SHTF, settle in and start working on how to survive in whatever the new situation is. If I'm not where I need to be after 500 or 1,000 miles I probably have bigger problems than getting gas.

Back
Top Bottom