• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sig MCX worth the 2k?

Anyone here have a Sig MCX? Is it a viable rifle for the price? Being in Mass. options are obviously limited... I was really thinking about picking one up but it's a good chunk of change for a rifle that seems to fly a little under the radar, what's your honest opinions?

I recently scored a legacy MCX new in the box for way cheap, and I really like it. Admittedly I only have like 600 rounds through it, but it is a mix of bullet hosing and shooting at range. It has a fast cycling action, but it is super soft shooting. With my scope up at 6x, I was able to watch my vapor trail and hits on steel at 600 on a nice day. Pretty rad for a lightweight carbine.

If you are looking at $2k, I assume you are talking Virtus, which is a good/ehh kind of thing. I personally like the gen 1 guns as they are a bit lighter, but come with keymod instead of MLOK, and the trigger is like 47lbs. The gen 2 guns (Virtus) have a heavier barrel profile, a heavier MLOK hand guard, cerokote colors, and a better trigger. They also changed up the gas system a little, which somewhat limits your ability to cut the factory barrel, if that's something you care about. Gen 1 barrels are getting real hard to find, if you get a gen 1 gun and want to do a barrel swap you will likely need a gen 2 bolt (rounded lugs instead of squared) to go with the new barrels, but the caliber change kits come with bolts, I think.

The handguard is a lot bigger (taller) then an AR15, I am kind of indifferent as I have big hands, but the way the keymod/mlok comes from the factory, it runs down the center of it, so mounting lights can be a little more challenging then an AR depending on what your into. MI makes a pretty good aftermarket handguard that solves this. The collapsible folder is pretty rad, but I like the aluminum skeletonized folding stock just fine.

They are gassy, but that is really only an issue when running suppressed, so we will leave that alone.

SUPER modular. Pulling the barrel is simple and done with a torx wrench. Whicked easy to swap from 556 to 300blk. The handguard slides off by popping the front take down pin which was a selling point for me. I can have a handgaurd with just a front sight and a white light, and one set up for night vision that will let me tuck my suppressor. This way I can go from a light weight, handy package without my can and laser on the front to full larp mode real fast.

I am currently waiting for a stamp for mine, I am having the 556 barrel cut to 12.5" and I have a 9" 300blk barrel waiting at the shop.

I don't think anyone would be disappointed with them, now that sig has worked the kinks out of them for a few years.

I have the Gen 2 MCX Virtus and as a 5.56 semi-auto rifle I really like it. Among other things, the Gen 2 guns have a pinned metal retainer plate for the recoil springs instead of the original removable plastic one, which I think makes it more reliable. See at the 5 minute mark for what I’m talking about. (if you have a Gen 1, sig will “Gen 2” the carriage assembly for free, see SIG SAUER - MCX Mandatory Carriage Assembly Replacement Program | Sig Sauer ). Just remember it is NOT an AR. It’s heavier and has a different recoil impulse than an AR and it will not accept most normal AR enhancements (not even an AR charging handle). Having said that I find it a pleasant shooting, accurate rifle. I’m fussy about the triggers on my guns and I’ve been happy with the stock gen 2 trigger. I think it’s the perfect platform for an ACOG.

However, if you really want an AR, you'd be better off getting a pre-ban (or pre-Healy) AR. Even though in Mass you’ll usually get ripped off on the price, you should be able to get a decent one for considerably less than a new MCX Virtus and then you’ll have the full range of AR doodads to play with.

Here’s what mine looks like:
IMG_2165.jpg

Re-reading this thread, if you are in MA and intend to abide by their stupid laws, get an AR15. The MCX is awesome, but it is awesome because it folds. If you would end up fixing the stock, you remove like 75% of the reason for picking it over a regular gas gun.

Back
Top Bottom