Sig Mosquito Ammo?

Hey All,

Just picked up a Sig Mosquito .22 at four seasons on saturday.
I took it to the range on monday and had a few problems.

I was using Federal American Eagle 40 Grain High velocity ammo.
I tried swapping springs but kept having problems. Mostly failure to eject the spent casing.
A buddy of mine had some Remmington 36 grain hollow point High velocity and I gave that a try and it seemed to work great using the light recoil spring.

My question is, what ammo have you had good luck with in the mosquito?

Thanks in advance for the replies,

Steve

From what I've heard CCI MiniMags are supposed to be the "unoficially
recommended" ammo by the factory.

-Mike

Stingers work the best, but they can be pricey (for a .22). Try the Federal value pack at Walmart - $9 for 550 rounds, and they cycle very well.

Can anyone tell me if these Sig .22's are honestly worth a look see? I try and filter out internet hype and flaming. I've heard these guns are ammo sensitive. My Ruger Mark II eats anything and everything and that's what I want this to do as well...Should I pass?

Go over to sig forum and search for mosquito ammo a menber has a ammo list on whats what in ammo on that sig. I have one its a p22 on steriods, but I like it fun plinker.

These internet hatchet jobs become urban myth

When the gun first came out it got flamed by a few people which was then picked up by thousands of hear-says. That's what always happens.
The gun is fine. Many rim fires are picky about ammo. The Mosquito is no different. The trick here is to deal with a dealer and a company that backs up what they sell.
My only complaint about it is that it is a little pricey for a plinker

When the gun first came out it got flamed by a few people which was then picked up by thousands of hear-says. That's what always happens.
The gun is fine. Many rim fires are picky about ammo. The Mosquito is no different. The trick here is to deal with a dealer and a company that backs up what they sell.
My only complaint about it is that it is a little pricey for a plinker

I'm not so willing to believe the urban myth part... I've heard of quite a few
owners bitch about theirs, and related tales of woe. Some dumped the
gun some kept it. This was enough to scare me off for the moment, well,
that and that lovely zinc pot metal slide on the thing. The gun is
definitely a "love/hate" thing. I agree that some of it is overblown- eg,
people bitching about the accuracy, or lack thereof... those people should
get a grip, it's a plinker for chrissake... or those bitching about its DA
trigger, as well. Those "features" didn't really bother me.

The other thing is, I know if I buy a P22, even though that it's not fancy
either, that if I blow it up, I will get a brand new gun back in less than a
month from S+W... can't say the same about SIGARMS warranty service
right now, though.

After all that I'd rather just pick up another S+W 22A, maybe with a longer
barrel than the one that I have now. That thing makes a fine plinker and
handles a wide variety of ammo.. and the guns show up on the used
market for cheap money, as well.

-Mike

Can anyone tell me if these Sig .22's are honestly worth a look see? I try and filter out internet hype and flaming. I've heard these guns are ammo sensitive. My Ruger Mark II eats anything and everything and that's what I want this to do as well...Should I pass?

I hear ya. After reading all the all-or-nothing reviews on autos ("The gun works AWESOME all the time"....or "Jams after every shot!!") I bought a 617 10-shot and haven't been happier.

Arrrr

-Weer'd Beard

So I picked up 200 minimags at wal-mart this morning.
They definitely worked better than the American eagle that I started with. I shot about 100 and had 4-5 FTF or FTE's .

I also picked up a brick of Remington golden bullet and put about 100 of those through. 1 FTF and that was it.

It seems I have found the ammo that my mosquito likes...and it is cheap to boot.

Thanks for the input all.
Steve

If you're interested, I'll trade you 200 rounds of CCI Standard Velocity for the 100 of Minimag you have left. Then you'll have one more thing to try out. [smile]

Back
Top Bottom