• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Simple but Effective Recipes

Not strictly survival oriented but sometimes being able to make something good without prep is handy. I'll start with meatballs -

• (1) 32 oz. package of frozen Italian meatballs
  • (1) 32 oz. bottle of ketchup
  • (1) 32 oz. bottle of grape jelly

• Dump ketchup & jelly in crock pot and stir to mix.
  • Dump in frozen meatballs, stir to mix.
  • Set crock pot to HIGH and let run for at least 5 hours, stir throughout day.

Eat, rave at how good they are. I was not a believer in these at all. Every year we have a neighborhood Christmas party and one neighbor makes these. They are gone in 10 minutes. I finally asked for the recipe and that's it above. Even I can't screw that up.

I have a few of these and would like to see others.....

I can dig this I will give it a try. Must have a sweet & sour tang to it.
I like to make mac & cheese. I throw in the butter, cheese, and milk I add in a can of tuna and a 1/2 can of sweet corn. I like my meal a little on the soupy side so I put in a little more milk.

That reminds me of my wife's "hot dogs in sauce" recipe:

Start Boiling a couple packages of hot dogs.
Heat up a couple bottles of ketchup, and add brown sugar until the tartness is gone.
Then cut up the dogs into bite sized pieces and dump them into the ketchup sauce.

Quick, easy, and delicious.

1 Can of jellied cranberry sauce.
2 pounds of keilbasa sliced about 1/4".

Cook in a crock pot on low for 5-6 hours.... Mmmm

I can dig this I will give it a try.

After I posted that I made it for dinner, all gone now.

[laugh]

Forgot to add, serve it over egg noodles, about as easy as it gets.

I'll have to try the dogs & kielbasa ones. They both sound great.

The kielbasa especially for the upcoming holidays. I can see that being a real hit.

I was playing in the kitchen and came up with this one which has been a family favorite ever since.

4 Tablespoons Olive Oil (Sometimes I use more depending on size of pan to make sure botton is covered.)
1 can diced tomatoes
1 Tablespoon minced garlic
3 boneless chicken breasts diced
1 Teaspoon sugar
1 Tablespoon mixed italian spices
1 box farfale or other pasta of your choosing
Add a dozen Peperoncini if you like a little kick

Place all ingredients in frying pan and cook thoroughly. prepare Pasta and add pasta once cooked. Serve with grated cheese.

Not strictly survival oriented but sometimes being able to make something good without prep is handy. I'll start with meatballs -

Eat, rave at how good they are. I was not a believer in these at all. Every year we have a neighborhood Christmas party and one neighbor makes these. They are gone in 10 minutes. I finally asked for the recipe and that's it above. Even I can't screw that up.

AS I type this I have the crock pot going in I will let you know what I think in a few hours.
Scouter-Rick that sounds good and easy.

AS I type this I have the crock pot going in I will let you know what I think in a few hours.

Definitely!

One other point, shorter cooking time results in thinner sauce which may be to your liking. Since the meatballs are pre-cooked, they really only need to go until they are fully thawed & hot all the way through. The longer run time boils out the water. Your actual time in the pot is going to vary based on the water content in the meatballs, ketchup, & grape jelly. Start checking it around 3 1/2 hours and see where you are. The longer pot time gets the seasoning out of the meatballs and into the sauce and the sauce flavors more into the meatballs. I let it go until the sauce is about as thick as typical BBQ sauce. Do try it over egg noodles too.

A friend did this at a football party and I couldn't believe that it was just Ketchup and Jelly. He also through in cuts of kielbasa though, and we put it in sub rolls.

EZ Chicken, Rice, & Vegetables

This one is a little more involved but still easy. The extra work is in basic prep. If you need something fast it is hard to beat. At our house there are seldom any leftovers and if there are, they are gone the next day. It is simple and satisfying.

(2) cups water
(1) cup basmati rice
(1) cup chopped carrots
or
(1) cup frozen carrots & peas
(1) cup pre-cooked roasted chicken ("Short Cuts", Tyson or Perdue)
(1) tsp Mrs. Dash regular or spicy salt substitute, your preference

Boil water in medium pan, add rice, Mrs. Dash, stir, allow to boil again, reduce heat to simmer/low, and leave covered, timed for ~14 minutes.

While rice is cooking, chop carrots or take frozen carrots/peas and cook in microwave on high for 4-6 minutes until tender then set aside.

Cut pre-cooked chicken into 1/2" pieces & set aside. (It is already in strips.)

When rice timer goes off at 14 minutes, rice will still be wet. Dump in vegetables and chicken, stir in with fork until well mixed, cover and let simmer for another 6-7 minutes. Rice should be of normal cooked consistency.

Serve & eat.

(I'd like to try it with squirrel or rabbit and carrots from my garden next year.)

Chicken Rice Bake:

Take either a cut up chicken, or chicken thighs, etc. Coat skin side in flour add seasonings as you like.

Heat oven to 400 or so

In a large baking dish, melt some butter (a fair amount) , add chicken, skin side down and pop it in the oven for a bit, until the skin browns some.

Mix 1-2 cups of rice (depending on your appetite) with 2x water or chicken broth (better) , and diced pepper and onion (and / or mushrooms, or whatever you fancy)

remove chicken from baking dish, leaving juices and butter in the dish; add rice, veg and broth mixture, put chicken back, on top of rice, skin side up.

Bake, uncovered, until rice is done, and chicken is browned.

If you're feeling healthy, use brown rice! [laugh]

I deliberately left out the amounts, as I tend to do it on the fly. If you use the brown rice, remember that it takes longer to cook.

That reminds me of my wife's "hot dogs in sauce" recipe:

Start Boiling a couple packages of hot dogs.
Heat up a couple bottles of ketchup, and add brown sugar until the tartness is gone.
Then cut up the dogs into bite sized pieces and dump them into the ketchup sauce.

Quick, easy, and delicious.

I have a similar recipe to this great:
1.5 lbs hot dogs, cut in pieces
1.5 cups ketchup
0.5-1 cup brown sugar
1 cup or can beer
Minced onion as you like

Put everything in a crock pot at low for a few hours, or high for 1/2 to 1 hour.
I've added honey with the extra brown sugar for a nice thick sauce.

We call them beer bogs.

Back
Top Bottom