Since this is a gun forum......

Pilgrim said:
Has anyone any experience with the AO 1911a1 pistols that are being offered?

I want a real mil 1911 but with prices as they are, that ain't gonna happen. I am interested in this:

http://www.auto-ordnance.com/ao_1911pkz_f.html

Comments are appeciated.

I wasn't aware that AO was an "Approved" firearm...

I've only had limited experience with Auto-Ordinance - a friend of mine let me shoot his son's Thompson repro.

The magazine (a US GI) did *NOT* fit well in the gun - it fell out twice and did NOT feed the ammo properly. It was essentially a bolt-action gun with a large magazine...

Now, the AO mags fit and fed just fine. Which tells me that the AO stuff isn't necessarily compatible with US GI.

My $0.02, YMMV...

Pilgrim said:
Has anyone any experience with the AO 1911a1 pistols that are being offered?

I want a real mil 1911 but with prices as they are, that ain't gonna happen. I am interested in this:

http://www.auto-ordnance.com/ao_1911pkz_f.html

Comments are appeciated.
Ya, I was checking that out too. They say the "new" ones made in Worcester are good but stay away from the older ones made in West Hurley, NY if you're looking at a used one.
The only thing that I didn't like about the AO was the plastic grips, kinda cheezy but easy changed.

I am told that the newer models with the Worcester Mass markings are a decent pistol. I am also looking for a 1911 and will give them a closer look. Thai is, once I pay off the toys for my AR that I bought this weekend

part of 'the list'

Commonwealth of Massachusetts
Executive Office of Public Safety

APPROVED FIREARMS ROSTER 07-2005

This roster has been compiled in accordance with M.G.L. c.140; §131¾ and 501 CMR 7.00. It contains weapons determined by Massachusetts approved independent testing laboratories to have satisfactorily completed the testing requirements of M.G.L. c. 140; §123; clauses 18th; 19th; 20th; and 21st. The reports resulting from said tests were reviewed by the Gun Control Advisory Board and those makes and models listed herein were subsequently approved by the Executive Office of Public Safety as having complied with the statutory handgun testing provisions of M.G.L. c. 140; §123.

Additions to this roster are likely to occur periodically; and dealers and law enforcement personnel should always utilize the most recent roster for purposes of determining statutory compliance. The Approved Firearms Roster posted on the Executive Office of Public Safety web site - http://www.state.ma.us/eops/gun_roster2002.htm - and on the Firearms Record Bureau web site - http://www.mass.gov/chsb/FRB.html - will contain the most recently approved models.

Pursuant to the requirements of 501 CMR 7.03; firearms dealers should note the following warning:

TRANSFERS OF HANDGUNS ARE ALSO SUBJECT TO THE ATTORNEY GENERAL’S HANDGUN SALES REGULATIONS; 940 C.M.R. 16.00 ET SEQ. FIREARMS ON THIS ROSTER DO NOT NECESSARILY COMPLY WITH THE REQUIREMENTS OF THE ATTORNEY GENERAL’S HANDGUN SALES REGULATIONS. INFORMATION ABOUT THOSE REGULATIONS CAN BE OBTAINED FROM THE OFFICE OF THE ATTORNEY GENERAL AND CAN BE ACCESSED ON THE ATTORNEY GENERAL’S WEBSITE; WWW.AGO.STATE.MA.US.

The Attorney General is providing all licensed gun dealers in Massachusetts with specific information on how this Approved Firearms Roster relates to the Attorney General’s Handgun Sales Regulations (Enforcement Notice). Enforcement Notice; as well as other information regarding the Attorney General’s Handgun Sales Regulations; can be obtained at the Attorney General’s web site – http://www.ago.state.ma.us/con_pro/guns.asp - and from the Office of the Attorney General.

Manufacturer Model Caliber
Armscor Precision Rock Island 1911 A-1 GI .45 ACP
Armscor Precision Rock Island 1911 A-1 GS CS Blue .45 ACP
Armscor Precision Rock Island 1911 A-2 GI FS Blue .45 ACP
Armscor Precision Rock Island 1911 A-2 GI MS Blue .45 ACP
Auto Ordnance 1911-A1 .45 ACP
Beretta 84FS Cheetah .380
Beretta 84FS Cheetah – Nickel .380
Beretta 85FS Cheetah .380
Beretta 85FS Cheetah – Nickel .380
Beretta 92FS 9mm

you can get the whole list here:

http://www.fsguns.com/regulations.html

Pilgrim-
It might be worth looking in gunsamerica and choosing the Massachusetts advanced search for 1911s. I found a Mass-legal (hate that term [evil] ) 1911 for around $600 last year. It's a 1918 Colt frame with a 1943 Colt slide...a 1943 Springfield Arsenal rebuild into an A1. It's a little rough, the parkerizing doesn't match perfectly, and obviously some of the SNs don't match at all, but it's a typical USGI pistol with 87 years of history. And a great shooter.

f634b713.jpg

Well after thinking it over and over and over and.......

I decided to go with the AO. I'll pick it up Saturday.

I'll let everyone know what it's like later.

AllI can say is that after a couple hours of fondling it in the store, I gotta say it looked REAL good.

thanks for the comments and suggestions.

1911a1.jpg

I also picked up a 1911 on sat. from my friends at AFS My very first 1911 or .45 Shoots like a dream. $650 used but the guys threw me some extras with it. The gun looks like it has never been carried (until now). It looks like it was shot only a few times.

SW1911.gif

List is $581. I'm getting it for $530.

The SW is a nice looking piece. I like the color contrasts with the black and stainless. But I wanted a military version to go with the rest of my military collection.

I have an idea this won't be my last 1911.

Pilgrim,
I was talking to a friend just last night, and he has that AO 1911. He has nothing but great things to say about it!

TypeO,
Nice piece... Congrats. Did you get the chance to shoot those rounds I gave you?

Adam

Adam_MA said:
TypeO,
Nice piece... Congrats. Did you get the chance to shoot those rounds I gave you?

Adam

Thanks, I hope I get to, I didn't think I was getting a .45 anytime soon so I told my friend to give them a try, I am going to see him tonight if he still has them I will "native americanly" take them back.

SiameseRat said:
stainless... yum.
SR good news and bad news. Bad news I sold the sar-1 so I cant let you shoot it. Good news I sold it to Adam [wink] . And now you can play with the 1911 if ya want.

Moderator said:
SiameseRat said:
stainless... yum.
SR good news and bad news. Bad news I sold the sar-1 so I cant let you shoot it. Good news I sold it to Adam [wink]

And I finally got it to the range for the first time just yesterday. I shot rather well at 100yds off-hand! I was switching back and forth between that and my .308. I'll tell ya, what a difference in recoil! It was a pleasure to put that against my shoulder after 20rds of .308!

Aside from the expected trigger slap I am happy with it, and I will be sure to bring it to our NES shoot as soon as we have one. So I'll let you shoot it as much as you want then ok SR?

Adam

Pilgrim said:
Well after thinking it over and over and over and.......

I decided to go with the AO. I'll pick it up Saturday.

I'll let everyone know what it's like later.

AllI can say is that after a couple hours of fondling it in the store, I gotta say it looked REAL good.

thanks for the comments and suggestions.
Where ya getting it? Middleboro?

JonJ said:
What shop is that? Big one? Lots of stuff?

Strickland's Rte 79 Berkley -pretty much a one man shop.

Ron works out of a small barn in his back yard. The best way to describe his place is "unassuming".

Lots of 22's, shotguns, used, new, consignment, some milsurp, modern hipower. Most handguns are used but a few new. Maybe 150 long guns, 30-40 handguns on hand at a time. Blackpowder, ammo and reloading stuff. Lots of stuff is crammed into a small place.

Can/will get you about what you want. Good smithy. Always buying stuff.

Good prices, nice guy to deal with, especially after you get to know him.

Tues-Fri 1-8PM

Sat til noon

I kid him that he just bought his new truck with money I've given him.

Pilgrim said:
JonJ said:
What shop is that? Big one? Lots of stuff?

Strickland's Rte 79 Berkley -pretty much a one man shop.

Ron works out of a small barn in his back yard. The best way to describe his place is "unassuming".

Lots of 22's, shotguns, used, new, consignment, some milsurp, modern hipower. Most handguns are used but a few new. Maybe 150 long guns, 30-40 handguns on hand at a time. Blackpowder, ammo and reloading stuff. Lots of stuff is crammed into a small place.

Can/will get you about what you want. Good smithy. Always buying stuff.

Good prices, nice guy to deal with, especially after you get to know him.

Tues-Fri 1-8PM

Sat til noon

I kid him that he just bought his new truck with money I've given him.
Sounds like a road trip my be in order. Thanks!

Wouldn't be run by a tall thin guy by the name of Ron Barros would it?

Ron used to have a shop at his house in Rehobeth. But he became unreachable. I know that the town was giving him a hard time and he was getting divorced, so I lost track of him. Used to sell AR15s at the MA gun shows.

... AO is too pricey down here!

I'll just get myself an Armscor 1911 GI 8+1 for less than $250USD! They are exporting it there... so I presume quality is good enough. Value for money.

...just for a start with a 1911!

Nice piece you've got there pilgrim!

Back
Top Bottom