Since this is a gun forum......

Pilgrim said:
In Ma, it's probably the cheapest 1911 you can buy. As a matter of fact, I think AO and SW are the only 1911's allowed.

Correction...

There are a couple of Para Ordnance models available too..

Adam

"As a matter of fact, I think AO and SW are the only 1911's allowed."

SO wrong! Each is a "Johnny-come-lately" to the AFR.

SV Infinity pistols have been approved since the 11/02 roster came out.

Pilgrim said:
In Ma, it's probably the cheapest 1911 you can buy. As a matter of fact, I think AO and SW are the only 1911's allowed.

Yeah? Armscor Rock Island 1911 is also available in MA I believe... are those AOs any cheaper than Rock Island from Manila?

I know of one dealer in MA that will sell you a Rock Island 1911.. Anywhere from $500-$600 depending on the model.

Adam

I tried three AO 1911A1s in two different shops and unfortunately was not impressed with the trigger feel in any of them. Hard to explain but they just felt bad.

JonJ,

I just came back from Strickland's in Berkeley where I picked up my new AO 1911a. Haven't had time to shoot it yet. Will tomorrow.

BTW I mentioned to him that I had posted a bit about his place and mentioned that I thought he had about 150 long guns.

He said there was over 300 in the shop.

When you go, tell him Dennis sent you.

Pilgrim said:
JonJ,

I just came back from Strickland's in Berkeley where I picked up my new AO 1911a. Haven't had time to shoot it yet. Will tomorrow.

BTW I mentioned to him that I had posted a bit about his place and mentioned that I thought he had about 150 long guns.

He said there was over 300 in the shop.

When you go, tell him Dennis sent you.

Will do Dennis, thanks!
And can't wait for the range report.

Ok, just got back from the range with my new 1911a1 AO.

The gun is finished flawlessly. Looks like a million bucks. Metal finish, park is as smooth as glass. Park is completely consistant in color and texture. It's as well finished as any weapon could be.

Slide to frame fit is very good, virtually no movement when I tried to wiggle one against the other. The grip safety is fit very well, little or no 'side to side slop', hammer has NO side to side movement.

It is a series 80 type gun , that is it has a firing pin block. I wanted completely military configuration but I guess it wouldn't be able to be sold in Mass if it was. The top of the chamber has a cutout for a loaded chamber indicator.

The safety lever worked a little tough at first but I flipped it back and forth a couple dozen times and the detent smoothed out a bit and works well now.

Due to the pin block mechanism, the trigger feels a little gritty if you pull it in without it being cocked. Cocked (andempty) it fell a little gritty until I dry fired it a few dozen times and it smoothed right out.

I can't measure the trigger pull but it does seem a little heavy but that's probably good for an SA defense weapon.

The trigger face has vertical grooves cut into the face and they're a little sharp and hurt the finger after a few pulls. The edges of the trigger are VERY sharp and I'm going to have to smooth them over QUICK !

The grips have a very 'agressive' checkering. I think I'll see if I can find some that are a little smoother. With these, you don't want to squeeze on them too hard for too long a time.

My purpose today was to function test it. I put 100 rounds of Winchester W Box thru it and it ran perfectly. I'll try some JHP next time.

I didn't fire for accuracy. I just put some clay pigeons on the 30 foot berm and set up a target for 'playing'. First thing I noticed was that I couldn't see the front sight (which is parked) against the black target. It was also hard against the dirt covered berm. I was able to keep either hitting or splashing the clays with dirt but it was really hard to see.

Gonna have to but some white paint n the sights before I can try to 'put it on paper'.

I am impressed with the quality of this gun. Being of basic military configuration, it sure isn't was pretty as some of the new shiny, fancy ones, but for $500 it's a heck of a gun.

I'm gonna try making the sights white tomorrow and gonna try to hit some circles with it.

1911a1.jpg

Pilgrim said:
The grips have a very 'agressive' checkering. I think I'll see if I can find some that are a little smoother. With these, you don't want to squeeze on them too hard for too long a time.

Try here or here for some nice grips for the 1911.

Ross

Sounds like a winner, Dennis! Congrats.
Maybe some nice stock wood grips would do it? The plastic grips were the only turn-off for me when I checked it out at the shop.

Almost forgot, thanks for the report.

Pilgrim said:
You checked out an Ao? Where? What was it selling for?

Me?
At M&M's beginning of last month. $480 brand new. I think Carl at FS Guns quoted me $450 last month too but he was out, expecting more.

Quick question: Will the AO 1911 take USGI magazines?

I put my name in at Four Seasons to get one of the AO 1911s. I then checked out the AO webpage, and the magazines are selling for $32!!!

A friend of a friend has the Thompson repro M1, and it won't work with USGI magazines. If the 1911 has the same problems, I might have to re-think the AO 1911...

Thanks for any input. The price on the AO is EXCELLENT, and it's EXACTLY what I'm looking for (A USGI 1911 that I can shoot regularly). Taking USGI and common 1911 magazines (IOW, not the proprietary AO ones) would be the icing on the cake...

Adam,

Nice meeting you as well. Interesting to see we share a barber... :)

The only reason I ask about the AO1911 is because I've shot their Thompson repro, which did NOT like the USGI Thompson mags at all - it was essentially a single-shot.

The other question I need to ask Four Seasons is which AO model it was, whether it was the standard, deluxe, or parkerized version...

I've put 200+ rounds thru my new AO and it's perfect in all ways.

It is the 'parkerized' model:

http://www.auto-ordnance.com/ao_1911pkz.html

I have two older slightly rusted GI mags that I need to clean up before using, but they are identical to the mag that came with the gun.

The only thing that I can see that's not exactly GI is the series 80 slide with the firing pin block, required in Ma. I will almost guarentee that even a GI slide would work on it, if you swapped one out.

It is a very nicely done gun. You won't be disappointed with the AO.

Pilgrim said:
I've put 200+ rounds thru my new AO and it's perfect in all ways.

It is the 'parkerized' model:

http://www.auto-ordnance.com/ao_1911pkz.html

I have two older slightly rusted GI mags that I need to clean up before using, but they are identical to the mag that came with the gun.

The only thing that I can see that's not exactly GI is the series 80 slide with the firing pin block, required in Ma. I will almost guarentee that even a GI slide would work on it, if you swapped one out.

It is a very nicely done gun. You won't be disappointed with the AO.

Thanks for the report, Pilgrim. I am VERY excited about this gun - I *REALLY* wanted something as close to the USGI issue as possible. If I didn't live in MA, I'd be looking for one of the Colt re-issues if they weren't A. impossible to find; and B. ridiculously expensive... I had my eye on the low-end Smith & Wesson SW1911, when I mentioned that I was looking for something close to USGI. The guy at Four Seasons mentioned the AO 1911, even though it's almost $300 LESS than the SW1911 (have I mentioned lately that I love Four Seasons???).

A good report from a NES poster goes a LONG way in my book towards alleviating any misgivings I might have. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom