Sippican Rod and Gun Club

Not my doing but instead the work of one of the club members. Its much better than the old site and I'll be sending him a bunch of photos from the upcoming shoot.

Great club, great people. I have fond memories of the Sippican IPSC matches in the early days. We were doing drive by shootings in a match before it became popular with the criminal element in the real world. How about a stage scored by numerical score minus penalties divided by time SQUARED? they had a very innovative crew, led by Steve Hall. Their invitational match which included a steak dinner was quite an event.

I love Sippican. Me and my father, the guy who made the new website go shooting there frequently. Its never too crowded and every time Ive gone down I learn something new from the clubs friendly members.

The only problem is its in Rochester, and that's quite a hike for me, (Weymouth) Once I turn 21 and get my LTC I gotta start looking for a place further north. I'll still make the trip though, its a cool place.

Last edited:
I've been looking for a club to join, Sippican being about 15 minutes away is top on my list. I'm new to shooting, will be purchasing my first gun very soon. What can you guys/gals tell me about Sippican? Should I just print out the application and mail it in with a check? Do I need a referral? On the website it says I have to take a "New Member" range and safety orientation, when are they usually held? Thanks for any info you can offer!

Just go in on Sunday morning, with the check made out, and your NRA and GOAL cards in hand. Sippican is really nice because they don't go all crazy with sponsors, voting in, and mandatory volunteer work like some of the other clubs in the area.

They have a covered 100 yard range, covered 50 yard range, covered pistol range, and a 5 position trap field (Sunday's as well). It's quite and relaxed, and only really ever busy on the weekend days. I am very happy I joined last year.

We'll be doing a shoot on 6/5 called Shoot For the Cure with all proceeds going to the American Cancer Society. Anyone is welcome to attend.

We'll be doing a shoot on 6/5 called Shoot For the Cure with all proceeds going to the American Cancer Society. Anyone is welcome to attend.

Oh cool, I will be able to come for this one!

Is this a rifle shoot kind of thing?

There have been some problems with the web site. Maybe I can get more info at the next meeting. Myself or another member will be doing a facebook page soon for the club to keep members up to date with events and info.

The cancer shoot is basically just to raise money for the ACS and the club isn't making anything off it. We're just trying to get people to show up and donate but will be offering shooting contests and mini events that shooters will have to buy tickets to participate in. It'll mostly be 22 cal rifles and pistol events but my friend Matt will be running a few events at the 100 yard line and we'll be using high power rifles. There will also be steel plate shooting with handguns for anyone wanting to get in on that.

Unfortunately full auto won't be allowed because Sippican has a rule that anyone shooting full auto has to have a license to own machine guns. Most of the SRGC members I know that are bringing guns are bringing something different and will be offering guests to try their rifles for a purchase of tickets which will of course go to the donation to the ACS. I'm thinking of bringing a few AK variants and offering shooters to try a 20 round mag for a $5 donation. After all, these days its actually $5 worth of ammo I'll be donating to anyone shooting a mag.

Its all cheap fun but ticket bundles of $5 here, $10 there will provide a donation check for a worthy cause.

Last edited:
There will also be steel plate shooting with handguns for anyone wanting to get in on that.

Did we get a plate rack? Cuz that would be awesome.

Kaisha and I are talking about heading down for this as long as the yard work is done. If not, I will be down. [smile]

There have been some problems with the web site. Maybe I can get more info at the next meeting. Myself or another member will be doing a facebook page soon for the club to keep members up to date with events and info.

The cancer shoot is basically just to raise money for the ACS and the club isn't making anything off it. We're just trying to get people to show up and donate but will be offering shooting contests and mini events that shooters will have to buy tickets to participate in. It'll mostly be 22 cal rifles and pistol events but my friend Matt will be running a few events at the 100 yard line and we'll be using high power rifles. There will also be steel plate shooting with handguns for anyone wanting to get in on that.

Unfortunately full auto won't be allowed because Sippican has a rule that anyone shooting full auto has to have a license to own machine guns. Most of the SRGC members I know that are bringing guns are bringing something different and will be offering guests to try their rifles for a purchase of tickets which will of course go to the donation to the ACS. I'm thinking of bringing a few AK variants and offering shooters to try a 20 round mag for a $5 donation. After all, these days its actually $5 worth of ammo I'll be donating to anyone shooting a mag.

Its all cheap fun but ticket bundles of $5 here, $10 there will provide a donation check for a worthy cause.

This sounds like a great time, maybe I will buy my first gun by then and head down to check the place out!

Last edited:
just joined in mid November...it's a nice range and it's never very crowded...the posts/rope setup to hang targets could be a little higher off the ground but i would imagine that would require higher backstops but other than that it's great...i saw on their site about the 200 yard range being built and saw some drone photos on their page and google maps...does anyone know if that is complete and how do you go about using it?...i read that you have to be approved by the president or his designee...anyway figured i would post the new website address...

http://www.srgc.us/

Last edited:
The 200 yard range is still being built. Shooters will be required to qualify before using it once it's completed.

The web site has been redesigned and is updated here and there. Myself and another NESr will be keeping the Facebook page up to date with info and upcoming shoots.

Reading the club rules I see they only allow paper targets on the 25yd range and the 100yd range, but it says any safe target can be on the 50yd range. Does this include steel targets?

Just go in on Sunday morning, with the check made out, and your NRA and GOAL cards in hand. Sippican is really nice because they don't go all crazy with sponsors, voting in, and mandatory volunteer work like some of the other clubs in the area.
This quote was from 2011. Is this still true?

I was there as a guest today and I liked the relaxed nature of the place. There were some nice people at the 100 yard range that let us shoot an SKS and an AK. Nice of them to let us shoot, but it always has me wanting one of my own. [thumbsup]

This quote was from 2011. Is this still true?

I was there as a guest today and I liked the relaxed nature of the place. There were some nice people at the 100 yard range that let us shoot an SKS and an AK. Nice of them to let us shoot, but it always has me wanting one of my own. [thumbsup]

^^^there was a waiting list when i applied last year...not sure if there is now...check the site... http://www.srgc.us/

also i tried going there on Saturday April 11th...got there at 10am, i saw people working around the building but didn't think anything of it and still went in and must have missed the range closed signs they stuck in the lawn and just before we were getting ready to shoot someone told us the range was closed till noon...not a huge deal since i'm not too far away but there was no posting on the website or email to members (which would suck for members that live farther away)...at least put the range closed signs out in front of the front entrance so people don't even go into the range...i did find it mentioned in the newsletter but that's it...figures though, just my luck, the day i have time to get out there and shoot ended in a wasted a trip

Last edited:
Work party days are rare but do happen every couple of months.

The web site is rarely updated. I used to be an admin on the FB page but removed myself due to a disagreement with the web site's admin. The FB page probably still gets more updates than the web site. The club president is an admin of the FB now and posts info there.

Back
Top Bottom