SKS scopes

Does the scope mounted on the replacement receiver cover work or is it just a waste of money. What is a decent scope and method to mount it to an sks. I have a norinco I picked up from a NES member last year and it's nice but I don't shoot it enough... thinking a scope would make it a little more fun and challenging but I also don't want to break the bank.

DSCF0656.jpg

Thanks Goose, nice picture. Does it inhibit breaking down the rifle for cleaning? Does it need to be removed each time and if so is it difficult to zero it in again?

The price is certainly right!

This mount is extremely solid. The scope and a portion of the mount do need to be removed in order top remove the gas tube etc. I just do not remove mine every time I clean it. In my experience the mount returns to zero when remounted. I tried one of the receiver cover replacement mounts with a short 4X scope that came with it. It was actually pretty high end not one of the cheapies. I could never get it to hold zero. The scout scope mount works quite well.

Here's another one on my bubba'd up Norinco SKS.
BubbaSKS003.jpg

Thanks Goose, nice picture. Does it inhibit breaking down the rifle for cleaning? Does it need to be removed each time and if so is it difficult to zero it in again?

The price is certainly right!

Last edited:
Does the scope mounted on the replacement receiver cover work or is it just a waste of money. What is a decent scope and method to mount it to an sks. I have a norinco I picked up from a NES member last year and it's nice but I don't shoot it enough... thinking a scope would make it a little more fun and challenging but I also don't want to break the bank.

Carguy: I owned a SKS Sporter for several years in NYS and used a 4x 25mm scope on the receiver cover with a tunnel so I could still use the iron sights. It was great. I could pick off clay birds at 25 yards or bowling pins at 200 yrds without adjusting the scope. No shifting of the point of aim and the cover/scope setup was rock solid.

Man, I miss that gun. It took AK mags, too!

mounting scope

I picked up a weaver styl base for rem 600?? and drilled and tapped the cover for it got a 4 X 30 scope for $13 from CDNN.their about $19 now.the scopes are 7" long.never had trouble with scopes.(Norinco brand) now Nstar and other names. [smile][rolleyes][wink]

I picked up a mosin nagant style side mount and put it on my sks. Its rock solid. I have seen the pics of the yugo sniper sks's using the same mount. With different mosin type side mounts that are out there you may need to cut or weld it so the height and centerline are lined up. But with a little work you can make them work. I like them because there very solid when your finished with them. I also mounted it lower on the receiver too about 1/8" so the securing screws are into the more solid area of the receiver.

The only other way i would go is with the ak47 side rail and use the ak47 side mounted scope. There is a site that has all the yugo sniper sks's shown with different mounts.

I had the top cover scopemount which was too loose for any kind of accuracy.(early mount)
They do offer a tighter fitting top cover mount that you have to file to fit, its oversized so it will end up tight.

Last edited:
I feel guilty saying that I started this thread and have done absolutely nothing with my sks. I thought a scope would make it more fun to shoot but I just haven't taken the time, effort or cash to do anything about it. Crap I haven't zero'd in my MAS 36 project that I rebarreled in January!! I still haven't zero'd in a scout mount and scope I put on after I refinished my MN last fall!!! My sks will be my next project...maybe I need to turn it into a black, evil looking rifle!!! Hmmmmmmmm

Back
Top Bottom