SKUNK!!!!!!!

I haven't seen anyone here saying that they enjoy killing them for fun. Or anyone that is purposely baiting them for that reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post # 33 "But it's more fun to lure them in and pop them in the head a few times. "

After reading what I posted about luring them in and popping them in the head, I now realize it was in bad taste. It was meant as a joke.
I am sorry if anyone was offended by my comment.

^With the tone of your previous comment, that is how I took it. I didn't take it that you were trying to decimate your local population.

I guess if you take everyone's posts literally that is what you get. I tend to say a lot tongue-in-cheek, so maybe I recognize it more. Or maybe I am just a murderous cretin when it comes to vermin;->

Why would he do that if they are a nuisance? My dog has been sprayed in my yard more than once and I take a shot at every skunk I see on my property. If they weren't a bother I'd leave them alone, but they're a pain in the ass.

I would think it makes more sense to train your dog not to chase animals instead of eradicating all the critters from your neighborhood.

Unless a dog is really stupid, they usually learn after a couple skunks and porcupines in my experience.

TROLL

I do not understand your desire to kill animals just for fun. Go to the shooting range and become a better marksman.

And I do not understand your desire to troll on a hunting thread and tell others not to hunt. I am not the greatest marksman, and I never will be. I shoot as often as possible and am always looking to improve. This should be the goal of every human being, to constantly and consistently improve themselves through out the entire spectrum of their lives. I also seek to improve the lives of my family and my pets, along with the lives of my neighbors and their pets. The skunks in the area have become a nuisance, and I am willing and able to provide a solution to this problem. I am sorry if you are so narrow minded that you cannot understand, much less appreciate someone else's lifestyle. If you choose to live with a problem that you have the ability to control or resolve then that is your choice, you are entitled to live that way. I am sure that there are many other subjects where our opinions differ, I am ok with that, and am glad that people like you are here. In the end, when all else fails, the simple fact remains that I don't have to be the fastest, just faster than people like you. Please take your anti-hunting opinions elsewhere where they will be happily received, but they are not needed here.

my dog is well trained, which is exactly why he gets sprayed. He is the protector of my family, if it doesn't belong, then his job is to investigate and deter any threat. Perhaps your Chihuahua is best trained to run and hide when an apparent threat, or strange animal is in the presence of you or you family. My German Shepard is trained to stay between me and my family and any uncertainty or threat. And unfortunately, he is also trained to poop in a designated area, which is why he was near the darned skunk in the first place LoL.

I would think it makes more sense to train your dog not to chase animals instead of eradicating all the critters from your neighborhood.

Unless a dog is really stupid, they usually learn after a couple skunks and porcupines in my experience.
Intelligence of an animal cannot be measured by how many times it tangles with a porcupine or skunk. And when the skunk is on the other side of a fence and still sprays him, I cannot say that my mutt was chasing him. The fact that the skunk did not retreat at all from the approaching animal leads me to believe that it is time to dispose of this critter before he does worse to myself or one of the children. I am actually very excited for someone to post that I shouldn't go outside after dark, nor let my dog out to go the bathroom once the sun has set because it isn't fair to the poor skunks.

Shooting a skunk with a pellet gun is not "hunting". Because someone disagrees with your ethics does not make them a "troll" nor an "anti hunter".

Shooting a skunk with a pellet gun is not "hunting". Because someone disagrees with your ethics does not make them a "troll" nor an "anti hunter".
this is true, and to those like yourself that respectfully disagree, or feel there are better ways to resolve my skunk problem, I apologize whole heartedly for the rude responses earlier. I am still a bit peeved by the smell of skunk lingering in my home. I am also irritated by people saying I should not have a bird feeder or compost pile because its not fair to the skunks who just want a free meal. I understand the nature of skunks, but I don't feel that anyone should have to change their lives to accommodate varmint, human or animal.

What is your opinion on dealing with mice in your attic? 10thSFFD hasn't shared his opinion yet.

Traps? Poison? Would you consider either of those ethical? A trap that may or may not be quick and lethal, depending on if it breaks the neck or maybe just a leg. Poison that works my making the animal crave water, but by no means quick or painless.

My couple of extra shots with a pellet gun are more likely to be as quick and painless as either of those options, as I do not enjoy watching an animal suffer, even if my intention is the animal's ultimate death.

Got a semi tame one here,, cats get along fine with it, last yr. it came through the open slider, walked into the living room and hung out for a minute or two,, hit the cat food bowl then went back out on the deck. I don't mess with it and it doesn't mess with me,, so far a good arrangement.

IMG952841.jpg
A good solid shovel swing does the job too. Granted, this one was very sickly and dragging itself around my condo complex by its forepaws. The "helpful" animal control dispatch officer I spoke to said "Yeah, just don't bother it. Should be fine." Even after I told her that many families in the area have small children and pets that frequent the footpaths where Pepe LePew had decided to prepare for Valhalla.

This is not about hunting, a valid sport. This is about eradicating a nuisance animal legally. You and Bt74 have both been very vocal about chastising people here, but neither one of you has answered a direct question in post 72.

I will give you the benefit of the doubt that perhaps you didn't see it before. How you answer will likely show if you are just a hypocrite or if you are a troll.

Thank you for bringing my attention to #72. I missed it.

The most effective way to handle mice in your house:

1. Find the way they get in. Close the entry way first.

2. Set traps which will keep mouse alive. Check those traps daily and free trapped mice outside. This way you will not stink up your place with dead bodies and you will also not create condition for flies and other insects invited by rotting flesh. You will also save your time. Sitting there with BB and waiting for something to show up is not really productive. If you do not want to spend money on traps take a large jar and stick it in the floor in such a way that the top is in the same level as your floor. Drop cheese or fried bacon in it and you are done.

3. Optional: Keep cat in the house.

No, Sir. I am trying to point out that inhumane "hunting" is against my believes. That is all.
If you can't shoot and if you can't understand I have nothing else to say here.

It's not hunting it's vermin control. Probably want to avoid this thread if it upsets you.

Beofore the thread goes full batshit. Dawn the dishwasher soap work the best on things sprayed by skunks. That grease cutter in the soap works wonders. Just an FYI.

Set traps which will keep mouse alive. Check those traps daily and free trapped mice outside.
Set traps which will kill mice. Nut up, pretend you're a frontiers man and git er done. I aim to decimate the population. This is an ongoing war in with my fieldstone foundation, there may be many ways to get in. Check those traps daily and it will not stink up your place. Maybe even leave them there for a day so their friends and family reconsider their potential home.

If you do not want to spend money on traps take a large jar and stick it in the floor in such a way that the top is in the same level as your floor.
You have holes in your floor? Have you considered that they may be getting in in the holes in your floor? And if so, if you seal up the holes in your floor, where do you put these jars that are full of high priced people food?

Drop cheese or fried bacon in it and you are done.

I eat bacon, they get peanut butter.

Nothing upsets me. I just think there are better ways to do this. Or do you think shooting skunk with a BB gun is the only "vermin control"?

I never posted that so try not to put words in my mouth. The OP has a problem with black and white rats. He lives in the burbs so his options on controlling them are limited. I have no problem with how he decides to control them on his property. It's none of my business.

We were talking about attic. There you can put the jar in insolation or you can place it in the box so it will not flip over. Mouse will get in but it will not get up and it will be alive. It will be alive even in 2 days if you forgot to check it. This trap does not kill.
And about your fieldstone foundation? Get few cats.

No, Sir. I am trying to point out that inhumane "hunting" is against my believes. That is all.
If you can't shoot and if you can't understand I have nothing else to say here.

Well if you have a moral objection - so be it. You can call NE pest control and pretend that they will take away the nuisance animal to happier place where they are served ice cream and cotton candy all day. You can likewise pretend that hunting has no benefit on society or to the animals hunted. You can pretend that population control and herd management via hunting doesn't keep forests from becoming over browsed thus leading to starvation of the very animals your good intentions but bad policy seeks to protect. And you can pretend that every expert who works in the area of game management does not disagree with your philosophy. You can pretend that hunting and herd management do not have an impact on the spread of tick born illnesses. You can pretend that overpopulation of game does not lead to them coming into our neighborhoods and causing harm - like car accidents which are often fatal. You can pretend that overpopulation of some species of game leads to overpopulation of other predators which end up in our residential neighborhoods stalking our pets and children. But hey - we're the immoral ones I guess.

Well if you have a moral objection - so be it. You can call NE pest control and pretend that they will take away the nuisance animal to happier place where they are served ice cream and cotton candy all day. You can likewise pretend that hunting has no benefit on society or to the animals hunted. You can pretend that population control and herd management via hunting doesn't keep forests from becoming over browsed thus leading to starvation of the very animals your good intentions but bad policy seeks to protect. And you can pretend that every expert who works in the area of game management does not disagree with your philosophy. You can pretend that hunting and herd management do not have an impact on the spread of tick born illnesses. You can pretend that overpopulation of game does not lead to them coming into our neighborhoods and causing harm - like car accidents which are often fatal. You can pretend that overpopulation of some species of game leads to overpopulation of other predators which end up in our residential neighborhoods stalking our pets and children. But hey - we're the immoral ones I guess.

Never said that. Hunt and eat the meat. Wasting lives, any lives, for no particular reason I will never support.

I never posted that so try not to put words in my mouth. The OP has a problem with black and white rats. He lives in the burbs so his options on controlling them are limited. I have no problem with how he decides to control them on his property. It's none of my business.

You did not answer my direct question. I am talking about shooting skunk with BB gun for no particular reason. Do you support that?

You did not answer my direct question. I am talking about shooting skunk with BB gun for no particular reason. Do you support that?

Did you forget the fact that they keep spraying his dog? He has all the reason in the world to hit them with what ever he can.

You sound like a liberal refusing to allow facts to enter in to your argument.

Back
Top Bottom