small concern about pocket carry

MXD

I picked up a Nemesis holster for my M&P340 a while back and I am now completely sold on pocket carry. I find it to be so easy, I don't even know my firearm is there anymore. It's a more natural draw, it's easy to conceal, it's convenient and I can even carry in my back pocket with certain pants on. My only problem is that I am constantly aware of what direction the barrel is facing when it's in my front pocket. Whenever I am sitting, the barrel is pointing straight across the room so I find myself constantly adjusting it's position. Do any of you feel the same concern or am I just over analyzing it? I just keep thinking "always make sure it's pointed in a safe direction".

Last edited:
I used to be the same way with pocky carry. Eventually it will settle, first concerns are a bit nerve racking, but like moto said, no trigger...no bang.

don't pull the trigger and it won't go off

I agree 100% that if I never pull the trigger it will not go off but does that mean that's it's 100% IMpossible for the trigger to get snagged or something like that. Even if the answer is yes, it's 100% impossible for it to ever go off, shouldn't I still live by the rules of gun safety? Namely, "always point the gun in a safe direction".

I'm not arguing with you, I'm just wondering if I am being too paranoid. With a 3 and 1 year old in my wife and I are beyond overboard when it comes to safety (if there is such a thing).

BTW, none of this would be as big of a concern if the holster had a "rigid" trigger guard. The semi rigid thing is what has me a bit concerned.

Its a new situation for you. I've pocket carried for more than 30 years and never worried about an AD in my pocket. The gun/holster should be the only items there and you can subtly correct it when ever you feel the need.

However, you should always check the condition of the gun before putting it in the holster and in your pocket.

I have never heard of an instance of a properly holstered firearm going off randomly. Obviously, you need to be careful un- and re- holstering, but if it's a quality gun in a quality holster, once it's in there, it won't be an issue.

Do you ever get concerned that a firearm in a belt holster occasionally points at parts of your own body?

Use a pocket holster -- a holster covers the trigger guard and prevents the gun from being fired. A holstered gun is a safe gun.

Good advice above. I agree. Use a good holster covering the trigger. Don't put anything else in that pocket.

In time you will get use to the gun pointing at/near you. You will build more faith that the gun will not discharge.

Ever since I started pocket carrying, that has never once crossed my mind.

Not because I don't follow the 4 basic rules, but because I feel it's a non-issue. I would relax and not worry about it.

I pocket carry too and I'm much more concerned about being seated (like driving) and having to draw (visions of being carjacked) than where my holstered gun is pointed

In my truck, I put my pocket holster right behind my seatbelt clip. It firmly snugs in, right next to my armrest. Basically puts it in a perfect hip-draw position. Very natural feeling.

Good advice above. I agree. Use a good holster covering the trigger. Don't put anything else in that pocket.

In time you will get use to the gun pointing at/near you. You will build more faith that the gun will not discharge.

Yup, that too.

Umm, I have a 442 that I can pocket carry. Good Holster...and I keep TONS of crap in my pockets. Keys in one side..and the carry side is all my change, my knife, chapstick, and sometimes a micro leatherman. The holster keeps it all from getting into the trigger guard.

Maybe I'm more lax than I should be...but it never crossed my mind to keep my pockets empty...as it's said that if you have a good pocket holster, it should keep things away from the trigger guard.

I've yet to do any trigger work...but the damn thing pulls 14 pounds on my scale...so I don't think that my chapstick in my pocket is going to push the trigger through the holster.

But, as it's said here many many times. YMMV.

I've yet to do any trigger work...but the damn thing pulls 14 pounds on my scale...so I don't think that my chapstick in my pocket is going to push the trigger through the holster.

Get thyself to Greg Derr!! I had him do a trigger job on my 642 and now it is a crisp 8-9# pull (don't recall the actual number) and there is a world of difference. You're welcome to try it out when we're both at MFG.

To the OP: Not to add to any paranoia, but even with a holstered gun on a belt, if you are on the 2nd floor of a building you could be pointing at someone's head thru that floor. If you wear a horizontal shoulder holster, you are pointing at people behind you. Some things are just not worth worrying about with a properly holstered gun, shoulder holster, in a pocket holster or in a belt holster.

I agree 100% that if I never pull the trigger it will not go off but does that mean that's it's 100% IMpossible for the trigger to get snagged or something like that.
If the trigger is covered by the holster, and the pistol does not leave the holster unless you pull it out, how is the trigger going to get snagged on anything?

Even if the answer is yes, it's 100% impossible for it to ever go off, shouldn't I still live by the rules of gun safety? Namely, "always point the gun in a safe direction".
See my previous post about inflexibility

I'm just wondering if I am being too paranoid.
You are being too paranoid

BTW, none of this would be as big of a concern if the holster had a "rigid" trigger guard. The semi rigid thing is what has me a bit concerned.
Then take your revolver, unload it, slide it in its holster, and try any way possible to activate a double action revolver trigger all the way through its travel while it's in the holster. Use your fingers, use pencils, screwdrivers, coins, flashlights, car keys, whatever you want.

My money is on you not being able to make the hammer drop.

I pocket carry most of the time that I can carry. I've never had a concern. It seems to me that worrying about this is almost like worrying about which way all one's guns are pointed when they are stored.

I wish I could pocket carry. My J frame prints like a brick no matter whose holster I try or which trousers I wear.

It's just as well since I can better conceal a full-size service pistol with 17 rounds in it and 17 more on the belt.

The typical S+W J frame trigger is like 9 million pounds. That gun is not going to fire unless you want it to. Even if you've had the trigger done up nice it's still going to be 8 million pounds. [laugh]

Even while holstered consider the fact that invariably wherever you go that muzzle is not always going to be pointing somewhere you don't want it to be. Do you get the willies if you are on the 2nd floor of someone's house, knowing the muzzle is pointed at a wood floor? I don't... because I know the gun will not fire unless the trigger is pulled.

-Mike

As said, whe it is holstered and you are out in public you will sweep people. There is just no way to avoid it.

A while back I was carrying behind the hip, not small of back, but pretty much above my right cheek. Had a guy tell me how I was going to blow my butt off one day. Funny thing was he apendix carried and when I asked if he was worried about putting a round straight through his leg, especially if he had to draw while sitting, he said no, why would I worry about that?

Get thyself to Greg Derr!! I had him do a trigger job on my 642 and now it is a crisp 8-9# pull (don't recall the actual number) and there is a world of difference. You're welcome to try it out when we're both at MFG.

Len,

I was considering having that done to my 642 but an article by Maasad Ayoob in a recent gun magazine gave me something to think about. Any gun that you have to use in self defense is going to be confiscated and torn apart by the crime labs looking for "something wrong" with it. I can hear the prosecutor now "Ladies and Gentleman, this individual is so reckless that he had the safe 14 pound trigger lightened so the gun would go off easier." He also discussed mag disconnects and manual safeties that people sometimes alter.Will this happen for sure if god forbid the gun has to be used in defense? Who knows, but in this state nothing would ever surprise me.

Len,

I was considering having that done to my 642 but an article by Maasad Ayoob in a recent gun magazine gave me something to think about. Any gun that you have to use in self defense is going to be confiscated and torn apart by the crime labs looking for "something wrong" with it. I can hear the prosecutor now "Ladies and Gentleman, this individual is so reckless that he had the safe 14 pound trigger lightened so the gun would go off easier." He also discussed mag disconnects and manual safeties that people sometimes alter.Will this happen for sure if god forbid the gun has to be used in defense? Who knows, but in this state nothing would ever surprise me.

AGNTSA.... Step away... step away from the Ayoob Glue Jar!!!! It's FOR THE CHILDREN!!!!

I think I am gonna open up a clinic, like "Ayoob glue fume sniffers recovery group" or something. [rofl]

-Mike

I know, like and respect Mas. On the other hand, a gun has to be "shootable" to be useful, at least to me. My Wife couldn't even dry-fire my 642 before Greg did his magic, now she can easily dry-fire it. She has carpal tunnel and DA revolvers are impossible for her in stock condition.

The S&W spec is rather broad and it does smooth out somewhat after a lot of rounds, so while a DA will throw the kitchen sink at you in court, I'm not convinced that smoothing some surfaces will show up in court as making an evil baby-killer of the gun. It's a risk that I'm willing to take.

TA77, I've taken LFI-1 and LFI-2. Mas does not say you shouldn't get a trigger job. He does say that if you get a trigger job that you make sure the trigger weight is defensible. 1) a DA revolver with an 8 lb trigger is defensible. 2) if you think the state police forensics lab is going to realize that 8 lb trigger is the result of a trigger job then you are giving them one heck of a lot more credit than I would.

AGNTSA.... Step away... step away from the Ayoob Glue Jar!!!! It's FOR THE CHILDREN!!!!

I think I am gonna open up a clinic, like "Ayoob glue fume sniffers recovery group" or something.
The problem with Ayoob is not his advice, but the myriad of people who think they know what he said (but don't really) along with those who deliberately misrepresent what he says. It has now become an internet meme.

Go take his class, listen to what he actually teaches, and chances are you'll find yourself enlightened and in general agreement.

The problem with Ayoob is not his advice, but the myriad of people who think they know what he said (but don't really) along with those who deliberately misrepresent what he says. It has now become an internet meme.

Go take his class, listen to what he actually teaches, and chances are you'll find yourself enlightened and in general agreement.

I agree, I think the main problem is that people take what he says as gospel, especially all those old american handgunner articles he wrote that get regurgitated about 9000 times on the internet. They get distorted and twisted out of context. The original context usually is something like "Well, a bat flew over, pooped on the head of the defender, which caused him to flinch, which caused him to ND the cocked revolver shot into the assailant, and the DA got on his ass in court about having a "hair trigger...." so it can happen!!!!" but somehow the context gets lost in translation and it gets turned into "Mas Ayoob thinks trigger jobs are BAD BAD BAD!!!!"

-Mike

I have been known to pocket carry from time to time. My Desantis superfly has served me well, but when the sticky outside wore out the holster was sort of flopping around in the pocket, so I replaced it. That's maybe the ONLY concern (pulling the holster out with the gun if drawing) but it's perhaps a year down the road if the holster is used daily. That and you probably aren’t going to pocket carry a cocked and locked 1911 with a .0001 lb trigger pull.

I always carry a Sig pointing straight at my ass/leg area and never once have I given it a thought. Guns don’t ‘just go off.’

I’ve also carried James Bond style in a shoulder holster. Not often but when the mood and attire are just right. I must have swept thousands of people and not one kitten or baby was harmed.

Back
Top Bottom