• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Smith Lock Removal

I just took the lock out of my Smith and Wesson performance center 460...and while I know that lock failure is probably overstated, it made me feel better...

Now putting it back together for a mechanically not so inclined guy may be a little trickier...

Anyone else remove their S&W lock?

they, I don't know who "they" are, make a plug kit, don't they? a chastity belt of sorts to plug hillary's hole on the lock revolvers while deactivating the lock. i only own one smith revolver with a lock and it doesn't bother me that it's there. it's on the 3" 629 i have. that trigger was superb out of the box, people think it's from the custom shop but no, while a limited edition pistol, it never was anywhere near the custom shop. my luck, if i monkeyed with the lock i know damn well the trigger would somehow go south. everything i touch usually does.

they, I don't know who "they" are, make a plug kit, don't they? a chastity belt of sorts to plug hillary's hole on the lock revolvers while deactivating the lock. i only own one smith revolver with a lock and it doesn't bother me that it's there. it's on the 3" 629 i have. that trigger was superb out of the box, people think it's from the custom shop but no, while a limited edition pistol, it never was anywhere near the custom shop. my luck, if i monkeyed with the lock i know damn well the trigger would somehow go south. everything i touch usually does.

it is easy enough to defeat the Hillary Hole, it has no purpose and is just one more thing to fail when you need the gun to work.

Lots of videos on it.

Had a 642 I was going to remove it on but the gun got sold before I got around to it

The lock has nothing to do with the trigger unless it engages...it's not a part of the trigger, mainspring or transfer bar, it's a small MIM piece that only engages via detent

the trigger "catch" should be below the hammer "tab"
remove the hammer and slide it on again so its over the trigger pawl
(sorry i dont have the actual part names handy)

Back
Top Bottom