Smith M & P approval

Looking to getting one as soon as it becomes available. It was supposed to be for sale in August but somehow something happened to push back its sale date. I hope the trigger pull is not like the sigma when SW makes it MA. compliant trigger.

The MA compliant trigger will likely be 10+ plus. The question is whether it will be easy to change to a more reasonable trigger pull after purchase.

Even though I don't have a use for the gun I'm going to buy one as soon as they are avail. if the trigger can be replaced for a normal one. A 10+ lb. trigger is absolutely useless. I'm hoping it is easy to swap out like on a Glock. I was hoping they would be avail. sooner than that though.

Pete

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I didn't think it was a big "process improvement" over the Glock.

I'll admit that I may just be used to the Glock grip angle and trigger pull.

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I didn't think it was a big "process improvement" over the Glock.

I'll admit that I may just be used to the Glock grip angle and trigger pull.

The beauty of the M&P is that it has the same grip angle as a 1911. Many of us shoot 1911's in competition and the grip angle is very natural. That being said it makes the M&P a winner in that dept. for those that shoot 1911's. The problem I have with Glocks is the grip angle forces me to twist my wrists forward which feels unnatural. I can live with it but personally prefer the 1911 ergos.

Pete

I love mine in .40. I did have to send it back to S&W because the rear sights hasd some issues. Otherwise I love the grip angle, love the trigger, love the entire package. If you haven't had a chance to play with one and want they have both the 9mm and .40 for rent at the S&W Shooting Sports Center out in Springfield.

The beauty of the M&P is that it has the same grip angle as a 1911. Many of us shoot 1911's in competition and the grip angle is very natural. That being said it makes the M&P a winner in that dept. for those that shoot 1911's. The problem I have with Glocks is the grip angle forces me to twist my wrists forward which feels unnatural. I can live with it but personally prefer the 1911 ergos.

Pete

Hey Pete, I was wondering, since you are a big fan of the 1911 grip angle, if it's that good, why don't all manufacturers just duplicate it? My opinion is that everyone has to see what fits them best. I do notice that you qualify your recommendation above with what is your personal preference. Personally, I am VERY uncomfortable with 1911s. We can still be friends, though. [smile]

Chris

I'm a huge 1911 fan for many reasons. However, I know they are NOT for everyone. That is why in my above response I use the terms "I" "me" etc. I don't want to come off as a know-it-all who states that 1911's are the only gun anyone should ever use. I just state that for me they are my favorite. I do own other guns and actually carry a Glock and an Airweight S&W revolver believe it or not so maybe I'm a hipocrite??? LOL Why do I carry them instead of a 1911??? 2 reasons... One is they are typically lighter and easier to conceal and 2 is that living in MA we are so limited to what we can buy and I don't want to pay 2 times retail for the gun I truly want.

And, of course we can still be friends... LOL

The downer in MA with the M+P is the crippled mags.

Unless the guns take sigma mags (which I dont think they do) there won't
be any prebans to use.

In .40 S+W and .357 Sig this isnt so bad, because you'll only be out a few
rounds. In 9mm you'll lose like 7 rounds of capacity. Kind of defeats
part of the purpouse of having a bigger handgun.

-Mike

The downer in MA with the M+P is the crippled mags.

Unless the guns take sigma mags (which I dont think they do) there won't
be any prebans to use.

In .40 S+W and .357 Sig this isnt so bad, because you'll only be out a few
rounds. In 9mm you'll lose like 7 rounds of capacity. Kind of defeats
part of the purpouse of having a bigger handgun.

-Mike

That is why:

I plan to get a M&P when it becomes available in .45. A few magazines and net articles I read claim its in the works.

Chris

10 rounds of .45 sounds good to me

10 rounds of .45 sounds good to me

I agree.... .45 would be a lot more appetizing. However, the "free
world" doesn't have a .45 ACP M+P yet. So that means that as soon
as it actually "exists" its typically like a year before us peons in MA get
to see it, assuming we're allowed to touch it at all. Although possibly
once the first M+P gets through the dragnet the others will go easier, because
the .45 wll have the same trigger, etc, so itll just be a matter of
getting that caliber version on the EOPS roster.

-Mike

I have one in .40. great shooting gun,very accurate,reliable. MIne does not have the Mag safety or internal lock. On Mp-pistol.com there are detailed instructions on how to remove the mag disconnect and internal lock. There are also links to gunsmiths that are doing all kinds of work on these guns.

I do notice that you qualify your recommendation above with what is your personal preference. Personally, I am VERY uncomfortable with 1911s.
I agree. I don't want to imply that the 1911 grip angle is "best" or even "best for me". Instead, what I'm trying to say is that I shoot 1911s so much that I'm accustomed to the 1911 grip angle. So at close range, when I'm shooting quickly with just a flash sight picture, if I'm shooting a gun with a different grip angle, I won't hit where I'm expecting to.

I'm sure that I could get used to the Glock grip angle if I put down my 1911s and started primarily shooting glocks.

I fondled one last night at the shop. I loved the feel, the grip angle. I was tempted to whip out the plastic but I fought the urge. I've never been fond of plastic stuff like Glocks but the MP40 was different.

I fondled one last night at the shop. I loved the feel, the grip angle. I was tempted to whip out the plastic but I fought the urge. I've never been fond of plastic stuff like Glocks but the MP40 was different.

In MA???

I head from a S&W distributer that the Mass compliant M&P frame and trigger assembly are being made they are not interchangeable with the regular version. Meaning that one will not be able to replace parts to get a lighter trigger.

I head from a S&W distributer that the Mass compliant M&P frame and trigger assembly are being made they are not interchangeable with the regular version. Meaning that one will not be able to replace parts to get a lighter trigger.

Only a matter of time before the aftermarket comes up with a trigger kit for the alleged proprietary Mass frame and trigger group.

Chris

Sounds like a dirty rumor to me. S+W building completely different
FRAMES? that's pretty rediculous for such a tiny market. And as
shitty as the AG is, never heard of this requirement before.

Further, theres only so much they can do to the gun without
compromising the design of the pistol. The only way they can
cripple it 100% is basically to make it as a regular DAO instead of being
assist-striker fired, and removing the attachment points for any
assist spring or single action cocking point.

I don't really see S+W going through all that trouble to prevent
people from modifying it. It's just too much BS for one tiny gun
market. I could see them doing it for say california, but not
here.

-Mike

Last edited:

THIS STATE SUX!!!! I said it before and I'll say it again. I wonder if Fiscoli becomes our next AG if this b.s. will end.

A gun with a 10lb trigger is useless!!!

Hopefully it will turn out not to be true, and just a game of telephone. Where the original message becomes destorted as more people verbally pass it along. It does sound a silly for Smith to go through all the trouble to modifiy the current gun to make it tamper proof, but I do trust the source. It could have been part of the deal, to make it tamper proof before the AG approved the MP for sale. Though to pay for it they just have to raise the price of the Mass version.

From a business stand point this would make absolutely no sense. The cost would out weigh the profit. The company is in business to make money so I would say this is BS. Rather than a special frame they would opt not to sell in MA as a better business decision as the M&P is being marketed to LE and Military. The Non LE/Non Military sales would not be worth the cost to re-tool.

S&W has been making sound business decisions for the last several years. Why would they stop now?

My friend at S&W advised he expects to see the M&P on a list in November.

Back
Top Bottom