Smith M & P approval

Nice... .45 .45 .45 .45... Any news on the work that will be necessary to return the trigger to normal?

Last edited:
Great news about the M&P. My brother and I went to S&W a few weeks ago and shot the 40. Really nice. I'll be picking up one for shootiing uspsa for the first time this year.

I was looking at the STI edge instead but the M&P's price will keep me married for a bit longer :)

Eric

From the Four Season's Web site (www.fsguns.com:)

FINALLY....COMING SOON...REALLY....THEY ARE........

The long awaited and highly anticipated MA legal S&W M&P pistols should start to arrive within a week or so. Watch your Four Seasons news updates for up to the minute reports on the arrival of this exciting new handgun!

We have heard that some dealers have been offering MA legal M&P pistols for for commercial sale. They ARE NOT legal ! S&W has not released any with the required 10 lb. triggers as of today 1/24/07.

Last edited by a moderator:
Keith means that SVIs are available as whole "factory" guns here. Some of us have customs built from STI frames.

Eric said:

I was looking at the STI edge...

That's a "whole 'factory gun;'" not a built-up frame. As such, it is only legally available in MA on the used market.

i can't wait to get my hands on a .45 M&P. I am thinking of using it as my carry gun possibly. Not sure. If I pick one up and its not available in Mass yet I will do my best to give you guys an after action report from the range.

Yes the .40 is coming out by the end of this month, 9 soon after. And as for the .45 we are looking around February for the rest of the world, but for Mass residents well see. They are very nice, and extremely flat. The thumb safety is a nice option condsidering its removable also. But with the thumb safety, that makes fours points of safety on the M&P45. The trigger, the magazine disconnect, the internal lock(option, except maybe for Mass[grin] ) and the thumb safety. IF that doesn't come compliant with those features we will get a feeling for how the next few years are going to be.

The problem I have with this new gun is were likely only going to
be able to buy the already "ultra lame version with 10 pound trigger
on top" which means the SKUs that most shops will order will have
the dumb mag safety and internal lock. The internal lock is not
that upsetting as you can just turn it off and leave it off, but the
mag safety is yet another thing to remove/disable. Hopefully there
will be some dealers "rug sweeping" some normal ones in here and
there. (I think there are already a few... )

-Mike

The problem I have with this new gun is were likely only going to
be able to buy the already "ultra lame version with 10 pound trigger
on top" which means the SKUs that most shops will order will have
the dumb mag safety and internal lock. The internal lock is not
that upsetting as you can just turn it off and leave it off, but the
mag safety is yet another thing to remove/disable. Hopefully there
will be some dealers "rug sweeping" some normal ones in here and
there. (I think there are already a few... )

-Mike

I tried the "real" ones at S&W- they were very nice. I'm not interested in the crappy MA triggers. Hopefully you are right about some slipping through.

Well, I'm not sure but I don't think I will. The value and good price is diminished if I have to send it away to get a "normal" trigger. I wouldn't have any Glocks if they were 10 lbs either.

I have been thinking of one for a while - ever since I shot an M&P in .40 and a Glock 19 side by side. I wanted the M&P - but I bought a Glock 22 instead because the M&P was not available yet - and Glock 19's were pretty rare at the time too.

If I have to change out the trigger so be it - I know there are details on how to do it on the internet. I am still trying to decide whether to get one right off the bat - or wait a little and see how everybody likes them when they finally come thru.

Well, I'm not sure but I don't think I will. The value and good price is diminished if I have to send it away to get a "normal" trigger. I wouldn't have any Glocks if they were 10 lbs either.

I'm waiting for the compacts, even if I can fix the trigger, (as a carry gun) 10 rounds for a full sized pistol won't cut it for me.

I really like the looks of the m&p45 dark earth brown on smiths site, but that is a long way from being available here if ever.

Will the versions here foist the magazine disconnect upon us? 10 rounds is fine for me, as long as it is .45. If they can keep the grip dimensions down using .45 GAP this would be a good case for it...

Last edited:
I'm waiting for the compacts, even if I can fix the trigger, (as a carry gun) 10 rounds for a full sized pistol won't cut it for me.

I was at Four Seasons on Saturday - and I asked one of the guys behind the counter when the compacts would be available - and when the 9mm full size was going to be available. He said that each model has to get certified separately - and then in order for them to sell it the model has to show up on the approved list. The list comes out four times a year - and the first one for this year just came out, which is why we are seeing the full size .40's. So the 9mm would not be availabe until the procedure is gone thru - and a new list comes out. Which sounds to me like at least a couple of months or more.

Look at the bright side - the market may be flooded with Sigs and Glocks as Police Departments switch over to the M&P.

I'm going to wait for the .45 compact version. I have plenty of stuff to shoot until then.

I checked out the new M&P's at a local shop. They were selling for $550.00 and included a case,3 mags with mag pouch and a holster included. Not a bad price for this gun with all the accessories.[grin]

Back
Top Bottom