Smith M & P approval

Carl at four season has the 40 M&P for 480. And if you guys wait the compacts will be out in a few months here in Mass that is what smith has told me by email.

Hunters trading post was trying to sell them for 580 LOL, I was at carls looking at the last M&P he had left sold 9 in a few days and a guy said he was at hunters in weymouth and laughed at the price and came up to four season (good call in my book).

Right, but you can drive up to Blue Northern tomorrow and buy a 9mm. Try doing that from Four Seasons.

I asked to be put on a waiting list at FS weeks ago, before the first shipment of 9s even arrived. Never got a phone call. I've called once a week since then, asking if my gun was in. I've gotten a different answer every time, but never, "yes, you're gun is in."

So the question is, is it worth getting jerked around for months to save $50 on a gun, or pay the extra $50 and get the gun right now?

It's just as well, seeing that I've changed my mind and decided to wait for the .45, but frankly I've been very unimpressed with FS the last few times I've gone in there.

Right, but you can drive up to Blue Northern tomorrow and buy a 9mm. Try doing that from Four Seasons.

I asked to be put on a waiting list at FS weeks ago, before the first shipment of 9s even arrived. Never got a phone call. I've called once a week since then, asking if my gun was in. I've gotten a different answer every time, but never, "yes, you're gun is in."

So the question is, is it worth getting jerked around for months to save $50 on a gun, or pay the extra $50 and get the gun right now?

It's just as well, seeing that I've changed my mind and decided to wait for the .45, but frankly I've been very unimpressed with FS the last few times I've gone in there.

True - if you really want it, and Four Seasons still doesn't have the 9mm then the $50.00 is not that big of a deal. When my gun fund gets replenished - and if I still have a hankering for the 9mm M&P I would pay the $50.00 extra to get one if FS still doesnt have them. There must be some reason why FS has a harder time getting the M&P's - do they not do a lot of LEO sales - whereas maybe the other dealers do?

M&M Plimoth bay outfitters in Plymouth has one full size 9mm and 2 40's and 2 compact 9's. I picked up a full size 9 for 489.00. The compact is $520.00. I was tempted by the compact...it felt great but I'll stick with my 6906 for now.

FS moves a lot of guns and their prices are lower. That's why their inventory is usually low.

I think the distributors or S+W have also been "rationing" the guns as
well. One of the other dealers I know of has only managed to get ONE
9mm and two .40s so far.

-Mike

I just bought my full size .40 yesterday and I love it. I want a compact though and I keep hearing conflicting stories. I was told by one of the counter guys at S&W that the compacts would be available by the end of the summer. Yesterday another dealer told me the 9mm compact is already Mass compliant and selling. If anyone has any info on the Mass compliant compact M&P's I would love to know....

Some do but they aren't "techincally" legal for Mass sale, i.e. trigger weight. S&W hasn't started producting the compacts with the right trigger/sear yet... But buy it anyway[smile] because they will be soon.

I just bought my full size .40 yesterday and I love it. I want a compact though and I keep hearing conflicting stories. I was told by one of the counter guys at S&W that the compacts would be available by the end of the summer. Yesterday another dealer told me the 9mm compact is already Mass compliant and selling. If anyone has any info on the Mass compliant compact M&P's I would love to know....

Guys- alert!

Gun and Sport North in Lawrence had a 9mm Compact for sale just one hour ago. He said it is MA legal. He also has a .40 full size. Both were under $500.

FYI he also had a refurbed G26 for $550- looked clean but I didn't handle it!

I was there a year or so ago and was unimpressed with the help- the guy I met today was very nice and helpful.

Picked up my M&P40 from Four Seasons on Friday. Shot it on Sunday morning. I probably made a mistake shooting it back to back with a 1911 as I was very disappointed with the trigger. I really like the size and shape of the M&P but need to fix that trigger. Do you guys recommend the Burwell modification or should I buy the non-MA parts and convert myself. I can handle the mechanical work. What do I gain by sending it out to Burwell over do-it-myself?

First thing you could do is order the "std" sear assembly- this will get you to about 6lb pull. I got mine from Brownells. I've seen nothing but rave reviews about Burwell. However replacing the sear assembly and maybe polishing the related areas will make a huge difference. However one of the biggest culprits is the FP safety plunger (the trigger bar engages this)- that can't be removed without removing the rear sight. No real biggy but everything else is VERY easy.

Picked up my M&P40 from Four Seasons on Friday. Shot it on Sunday morning. I probably made a mistake shooting it back to back with a 1911 as I was very disappointed with the trigger. I really like the size and shape of the M&P but need to fix that trigger. Do you guys recommend the Burwell modification or should I buy the non-MA parts and convert myself. I can handle the mechanical work. What do I gain by sending it out to Burwell over do-it-myself?
Burwell burwell burwell. For the price of a new Sig you can pay for your M&P AND totally tricking it out.
Burwell can put on a fiber optic front sight and serrated black rear
Stipple front and rear
3.5 pound trigger job with reduced POSITIVE reset.

The stock triggers can vary widely between samples, the reset is not positive at all, and it will still be a heavy trigger. I can shoot some samples of the stock trigger extremely well. Others not so well. Total cost for Burwell's magic including shipping both ways is about 300 dollars. Not so much when you look at how cheap the gun was in the first place.

A friend of mine has a new full size 40 and with less than 200 rds. thru it and is going back to Smith because the mags dropping out during firing. I been told that this is a problem with some of these guns.

I recently compared several used Glocks, 22, 20, 19, 26 to the new M&P .40 and 9mm in a store. I have to say the standard Glock trigger in all the samples is superior to the Mass compliant M&Ps. I like the feel of the M&P compared to the Glock, but considering the cost of a trigger job plus the shipping, the Glock is probably the better deal in Mass. To be truthful the price of used Glocks varies widely depending on the store and model.

I recently compared several used Glocks, 22, 20, 19, 26 to the new M&P .40 and 9mm in a store. I have to say the standard Glock trigger in all the samples is superior to the Mass compliant M&Ps. I like the feel of the M&P compared to the Glock, but considering the cost of a trigger job plus the shipping, the Glock is probably the better deal in Mass. To be truthful the price of used Glocks varies widely depending on the store and model.

I think the bigger issue in glock versus M&P is the mag capacity, while a trigger can be fixed, with M&Ps you are stuck with 10 rounds. Don't forget even with compact glocks you can buy hi-cap preban mags.

That said, I bought and FS M&P 9mm with a non-Ma trigger and it's a dream come true, even as a devoted glock owner I would never give my M&P for a G17.

In mind, both Glock and the M&P are really nice pistols, it's a toss up which is "better."

Since we can't seem to get away from the Glock comparison, I'll add my .02

I like the Glock because 1. It has a really decent stock trigger, and 2. You can have a great variety of frame sizes and calibers which ALL operate exactly the same way and have the same trigger.

That said, I bought an M&P full size 9mm, got the Burwell custom trigger, and in it's present state it is outstanding! The Burwell trigger job elevates it beyond Glock stock triggers. If Smith can manage to add some caliber and frame size options for us MA folks, AND you are not adverse to spending the money on trigger work, the M&P's are certainly worth a hard look. I'd love to have an M&P compact 45 with some added Burwell magic!

A friend of mine has a new full size 40 and with less than 200 rds. thru it and is going back to Smith because the mags dropping out during firing. I been told that this is a problem with some of these guns.

That's what happened to me at the S&W Shooting Center. I shot 30 rounds out of the compact .40 S&W M&P, and the mag fell out three or four times. It also failed to chamber 4-5 rounds.

I was unimpressed. As I would be interested buying a compact 40 for carry and a full-sized .45 for home defense, a gun I cannot rely on is tits-on-a-bull useless for my purposes...

Well, now I don't feel so stupid because when I tested out the full size 40 the mag fell out a ton of times. I just thought it was something I was screwing up.

Why didn't someone ask the RO to look at it?

Rental guns get abused and if nobody says anything, nothing will get fixed.

I wouldn't "assume" that what happened to a rental gun is "normal" for that model gun.

I was up at the Manchester Firing Line when I tried it out and had the problem. I took it back and asked if it was a known problem. They hadn't heard of anything wrong with it and assumed it was probably my actions that were doing it, which certainly could be true. I agree that rental guns are not treated that nice, but for multiple people to say they are having the problem something seems up.

Well, now I don't feel so stupid because when I tested out the full size 40 the mag fell out a ton of times. I just thought it was something I was screwing up.

There was a known issue on the early models but that was addressed. The current problem I have heard of is caused by grip. Ask Dave Sevigney about the extended mag release on a Glock. He picked up the gun off a table at a match and dropped the mag. Last time he ever used the larger release.

If you are new to the M&P and the mag drops see if it your grip or the gun.

Regards,

I was up at the Manchester Firing Line when I tried it out and had the problem. I took it back and asked if it was a known problem. They hadn't heard of anything wrong with it and assumed it was probably my actions that were doing it, which certainly could be true. I agree that rental guns are not treated that nice, but for multiple people to say they are having the problem something seems up.

Must have been the same M&P in .40 that I used back in December when I was trying to decide between a Glock and an M&P - the damn magazine fell out at least twice every mag-full of 15 rounds. I thought it was me - nice to know other people were having the same problem.

The only thing I could think of that I might be doing was not pulling the trigger with my fingertip but rather with one joint further down - so my fingertip was somehow hitting the mag release. The M&P I just bought a couple of weeks ago hasn't had the problem -yet.

It would seem to me that if multiple people are having problems with the magazine falling out of the gun, the problem lies not in how the gun is gripped but rather in how it is designed.

No matter which, the M&P is not for me.

This was a common problem in the first few runs on the .40s, it's all over the M&P boards. It's been fixed and, no matter what you think about S&W, they have really good customer service.

Lots of people hate plasic guns, period, which is fine. But, if you like glocks, and you don't have HUGE hands, you really should check this pistol out.

This was a common problem in the first few runs on the .40s, it's all over the M&P boards. It's been fixed and, no matter what you think about S&W, they have really good customer service.

Lots of people hate plasic guns, period, which is fine. But, if you like glocks, and you don't have HUGE hands, you really should check this pistol out.

True but some of the newer ones still have the mag dropping problem. And yes SW will fix the problem. I think I wll hold off getting one for awhile.

True but some of the newer ones still have the mag dropping problem. And yes SW will fix the problem. I think I wll hold off getting one for awhile.

Guess I'm lucky so far, I have about 500 rounds through my FS 9mm and my Father has about the same to date through his Compact 9mm. Neither of have any trouble of any kind yet. I'm still my carrying my tried and true G30 for now though.....

BTW, if the mag fell out of my pistol even once, I would be so bullshit.

Back
Top Bottom