• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Somerville police officer wounded after ‘unintentional discharge’ of gun

I generally blame the wetware on this sort of thing, but there does seem to be a pattern.

DA/SA for me, thanks. YMMV.

I recently saw an AD - my son closed a vintage shottie, and it discharged (Three Rules followed, no issues). I happened to be looking at him, and the triggers were untouched. I duplicated it (no ammo)....about 10% of the time, the hammer fell on closing (gotta open that up, and see what's up). Hardware issued do occur, from time to time.

Cops have been carrying various types of striker fired pistols for a long time. Various makes, how come recently it seems like 320's appear to be involved in a lot of these?
Every one is used with a WML and the Safariland ALS holster. The gap is significant allowing items to find their way into the holster. In other cases it was found that the firearm was being handled at the time.

Minneapolis police have on video A320 discharging while a detective was walking his hands full of stuff the holstered gun went off.additionally there is a department in the middle of the country that has on video a officer on a traffic stop and it’s caught on the dash cam as he’s walking towards the violators car his hands in plain sight the gun goes off in the holster. A gentleman in Hillsborough New Hampshire had his holster 320 go off the police report clearly indicate based on the damage of the holster the gun was in its holster when discharged and there’s more you just need to know where to look for it
Odd that it's not stated that Glock has had a significant number of lawsuits involving negligent discharges.

Meanwhile, some of the lawsuits involved..

Lieutenant Thomas Ahern who was “performing a routine function (test) of his P320 when it fired at him without any force towards the trigger, resulting in the bullet impacting his left thigh.” Who function tests their firearm 1) with a round in the chamber, and 2) when it’s pointed at an extremity?

Gunter Walker, a civilian, who says his P320 fired on its own “when he placed the weapon down on his nightstand, shooting him through the palm of his left hand.”
Have you ever put a handgun down with your palm in front of the muzzle?

A un-named Texas gun shop manager who says a P320 fired “as he cleared the weapon, blowing off one of his fingers. The weapon was out of battery when it fired.”
First, clearing a loaded firearm with a finger over the muzzle doesn’t exhibit even cursory adherence to the Four Rules

A Bridge City Officer Brittany Hilton tells her story of what she says happened when her P320 discharged as she was carrying it in her purse in what appears to be a SERPA holster (which has had its own problems.

Walter Collette, Jr., a police officer with the Somerville (Mass.) Police Department, was wounded when his P320 duty gun discharged “without a trigger pull” while he was carrying it in a gym bag “wrapped carefully with a cloth.” Officer Collette was wounded in his left leg.

One case was dropped after the video surfaced.. A five-person personnel board would consider the appeal of Cpl. Jonathan Cross of the Pasco County Sheriff’s Office. A date for that has not yet been set. Sheriff Chris Nocco abruptly fired Cross after a nearly six-month investigation, concluding partly based on video surveillance that Cross negligently fidgeted with his service pistol and caused it to fire. No one was hurt.

The fact is manufacturers will settled before going to court based on cost alone.....

Years back Glock settled...“[Former LAPD Officer Enrique] Chavez was off-duty and his son, Collin, was in the back of the family truck in 2006 when the 3-year-old grabbed his father’s gun and fired,” mercurynews.com reports. “Chavez was shot and paralyzed from the waist down. Chavez and his wife sued, arguing the gun lacked a grip safety and was too easy to fire. Glock noted that Chavez acknowledged leaving the gun near his child, who wasn’t in a car seat.” GLOCK has settled the suit for an unknown amount.

Lieutenant Thomas Ahern who was “performing a routine function (test) of his P320 when it fired at him without any force towards the trigger, resulting in the bullet impacting his left thigh.” Who function tests their firearm 1) with a round in the chamber, and 2) when it’s pointed at an extremity?
It's a complete mystery.

Walter Collette, Jr., a police officer with the Somerville (Mass.) Police Department, was wounded when his P320 duty gun discharged “without a trigger pull” while he was carrying it in a gym bag “wrapped carefully with a cloth.” Officer Collette was wounded in his left leg.
When The Bride had an outpatient hip joint operation
(pop ball out of socket, polish tear in lining tissue, reassemble),
the surgeon at Newton-Wellesley gave us a copy of the after-action report.

Every Single Verb in the entire report had an associated adverb
describing what a professional job he did.

His scribe must moonlight in Somerville, punching-up legal briefs.

I'm holding out for the first ND/AD from a smart gun.

When cops start carrying them,
the unions will be desperate to blame all future Desk Pops on the ID system.

Troll the gun-grabbers who mandated them
that someone hacked the RFID and set it off remotely;
and they must be banned, For The Children.

They won't know whether to sh¡t or go blind.

If I remember correctly, the Somerville cop who is suing Sig was walking with the gun loose in a backpack and it “suddenly” went off. Sure it did you moron.

Police training is crap. Yeah, there are cops who are good with firearms and some who are into firearms outside of the job. But there are A LOT of cops who do not handle firearms competently. They only handle guns in regards to work and work related training.

I’m very skeptical of any claim a gun just went off on its own. I’m very skeptical this cop didn’t case the gun to fire

There's more than one. And there are guys who have witnesses to these guns firing in the holster, too.

I am also skeptical I am betting an easy 75% of these claims are bogus, a bunch of people just fishing for cash with ambulance chaser frivolous lawsuits. However, I think theres possibly a
kernel of truth buried in here somewhere.

Toyota but yes.

They did it with Audi, too, many many years before that. There's a reason "Audi 5000" was like a meme/term. I guess in those cars the gas and the brake were mounted at the same level or something, so nippleheads would press one or the other and get confused. Or they were mounted too close together.

In both cases, Toyota and Audi were slandered horrendously for something that amounted to almost fake news.

The toyota claims also involved floor mats that moved around . All new toyotas have floor mats that lock into place on the floorboards.

Lol, it was more than that. A lot of it was retards stacking floor mats, and having them get wedged between the gas pedal and the floor. Even my old ES330 had floor mats which had
anti movement tabs.

There was also a shitload of bad gas pedals involved in the mix as well, resulting in rare circumstances where a pedal might have a little "hitch" in its travel or even get stuck
etc. Those were recalled and replaced, over time.

Lol, it was more than that. A lot of it was retards stacking floor mats, and having them get wedged between the gas pedal and the floor. Even my old ES330 had floor mats which had
anti movement tabs.

There was also a shitload of bad gas pedals involved in the mix as well, resulting in rare circumstances where a pedal might have a little "hitch" in its travel or even get stuck
etc. Those were recalled and replaced, over time.
Reminds me of their (not that) old slogan “Moving Forward”. They ditched it after folks started mocking it as “Moving forward uncontrollably”.

... I am betting an easy 75% of these claims are bogus, ... However, I think theres possibly a kernel of truth buried in here somewhere.
Sort of like UFO reports.
While I was in high school, I remember a 60 Minutes(?) segment
about the US Nuclear Emergency Search Team.

60 Minutes guy is interviewing some scientist/admin/leader,
in between footage of the gear/crews.

60M:​
Have you every been called out to search for an A-bomb?​
NEST Guy:​
All the time.​
They're almost always false alarms.​

[shocked][shocked][shocked][shocked][shocked]

You mean contrails over Venus with swamp gas.
Don't you mean ur-anus?

Back
Top Bottom