• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Special Prep for the potential snow storm?

Went to fill up truck and 5 gal can at BJ's in Northboro on way home from work tonight.
Pump stopped at $94.00 and I thought I was topped off....but actually they were out of fuel. All 16 pumps were off.
They were waiting on tanker truck fighting traffic on route 20 as I left the mayhem. Swung into Mobil on Route 20 and they were out of gas.
Filled my can at the Gulf up the road and will fill another in am. It's getting crazy out there....

I got fuel around 2pm and it wasn't an issue at all... I did hear that my niece tried to get gas for her vehicle and it was also a no-go...

My [moron of a] BIL doesn't even know IF their snowblower is going to start. They didn't use it last year and he hasn't used it yet this winter. It's also positioned so that no one can get it out of the garage without moving a bunch of crap. He also doesn't even know IF they have fuel for it. [slap]

I told my mother (she lives in the second floor apartment of their house) that she better not go out there and shovel. Let my BIL clear it. If he had run the thing at all this winter he'd know how it was doing. He f'ing shoveled all the storms they got. It's baffling to me that he would do that.

At least I know mine runs.

I got fuel around 2pm and it wasn't an issue at all... I did hear that my niece tried to get gas for her vehicle and it was also a no-go...

My [moron of a] BIL doesn't even know IF their snowblower is going to start. They didn't use it last year and he hasn't used it yet this winter. It's also positioned so that no one can get it out of the garage without moving a bunch of crap. He also doesn't even know IF they have fuel for it. [slap]

I told my mother (she lives in the second floor apartment of their house) that she better not go out there and shovel. Let my BIL clear it. If he had run the thing at all this winter he'd know how it was doing. He f'ing shoveled all the storms they got. It's baffling to me that he would do that.

At least I know mine runs.

I too have in laws like that...stupid lazy slobs! I don't bother to help them anymore. I used to go out of my way to help, and would explain the very simple and proper way to store a snowblower. Come the first storm they would call because they couldn't start it. After many years of this, I gave up. They're on their own now. I tell them to call a repairman. Should I feel guilty?

...Should I feel guilty?

no you shouldn't but you probably will though because you're a nice guy [smile]

Does he work at a supermarket--I might have met him tonight. I just came from the supermarket. I use distilled water for my humidifier (costs $1 a gallon and totally worth it--long story). So I ask the stock clerk (grown man) if he can get me a case of six from out back or should I just take them loose off the shelf? He says he'll get them. I wait, and wait, and wait. Finally he comes out carrying four loose gallons and says he'll go back and get the other two. Dip shit. I tell him to bring the box too. WTF did he think I wanted fresher water or something? I wanted a case so it's easier to carry--which you'd think he'd know that since he can only carry four loose--and so he doesn't have to restock. Some people! you just can't reach.

Last edited:
I told my mother that she could come over to my place, where the snowblower DOES work and ride out the storm... She's going to stay at her place (in Methuen) though. If I find out she was shoveling snow from this storm later, I'm going to rip my BIL (and/or sister) a new a**h*** over it. My mother is 66 for crying out loud, and JUST retired. She's been helping them out with errands and shit since then (even more than before she retired). If my BIL doesn't want to use the snow blower, fine, I'll take the damned thing. It's newer than the one I bought off CL not that long ago (this winter). I think I bought it after the second storm, since I really didn't want to shovel. I'll be using my grandfather's method of keeping up with the snowfall too. Unlike my BIL who will probably try to clear it once the storm is over.

I swear, some people have the common sense of a retarded house plant.

no you shouldn't but you probably will though because you're a nice guy [smile]

Does he work at a supermarket--I might have met him tonight. I just came from the supermarket. I use distilled water for my humidifier (costs $1 a gallon and totally worth it--long story). So I ask the stock clerk (grown man) if he can get me a case of six from out back or should I just take them loose off the shelf? He says he'll get them. I wait, and wait, and wait. Finally he comes out carrying four loose gallons and says he'll go back and get the other two. Dip shit. I tell him to bring the box too. WTF did he think I wanted fresher water or something? I wanted a case so it's easier to carry--which you'd think he'd know that since he can only carry four loose--and so he doesn't have to restock. Some people! you just can't reach.

That's to funny. I feel like a "Here's your sign" comment should have been made.

We started the backhoe and have it on the battery tender.

Snowblower filled and next to garage door. Check.
Generator filled and next to garage door, ext cords on top. Check.
Cars filled. Check.
Booze for days. Check.
New 18" barrel & 2 rd extension installed on 870. Check.
Plenty of Nugget Nectar ready to go. Check.

Only the last two were today... the rest have been in place for months.

I'll be using my grandfather's method of keeping up with the snowfall too. Unlike my BIL who will probably try to clear it once the storm is over.

What's your grandfather's method?
It looks like we're going to get hammered overnight fri-sat. I ran through the hour-by-hour snowfall totals on WCVB's website. I'm due to get a foot by midnight. by the early AM, it'll be 2 feet. I don't really want to be the douche running his snowblower in the middle of the night, but.......

What's your grandfather's method?
It looks like we're going to get hammered overnight fri-sat. I ran through the hour-by-hour snowfall totals on WCVB's website. I'm due to get a foot by midnight. by the early AM, it'll be 2 feet. I don't really want to be the douche running his snowblower in the middle of the night, but.......

He would go out and clear the driveway (and walk way) when 4-6" had accumulated. If it's full on white-out conditions, with nasty wind, I'll hold off running the machine. But as long as I can see where the truck is, before hitting it, I'll clear what has accumulated (in the 4-8" range). That way, there won't be as much to clear all at one time.

Roger that.
Wood stove cooking with plenty of wood outside back door.
Generac 7500 with transfer tie in ready to roll.
Snowblower greased and fueled.
Fridge full and kids home from school tomorrow already.
It's NE and its going to snow.
Bring it.

If you've been prepping for any amount of time, you should just be picking up odds & ends and perhaps some comfort items.

Wood bake stove is burning hot
Wood and Eco Bricks stacked near by
Generac fueled up and tested (As it is 1x a week)
Snow blower gassed and tested (As it is 1x a week)
55+ Gallons of gas and fuel stabilizer ready to go
Car topped off (another 12 gallons)
Fridge full, long term food stores rotated in and ready to roll
Hand pump & well tested and flowing
80 gallons of water tested and sterile
Hot tub treated and set on clean mode. Ready for a soak.
Bottle of wine ready to go.
Working from home tomorrow
Kids school won't' cancel until we are walking to the car to drop them off....the only thing I actually did today though, was run the gas equipment and pick up some snacks.....

Even though its only two of us, I am required by the law of stupid to purchase five gallons of milk,3 loaves of bread, 8 cases of water, 5jars of put butter and ten cans of tuna.am I missing anything....

sent using tapatalk

If it's full on white-out conditions, with nasty wind, I'll hold off running the machine. But as long as I can see where the truck is, before hitting it, I'll clear what has accumulated (in the 4-8" range). That way, there won't be as much to clear all at one time.

ugh, that's my fear right there, that the wind will be blowing the snow around so much it'll be almost futile throwing more snow up in the air.

a word to the wise, never buy a house with a circular driveway, all that means is that you have 2 ends to clear.

thanks for Grandpa Goldiggie's method, I'll try it out as long as it seems like it's helping. At least with the ends...

I read this whole thread thinking 'I am all set', until I got to this one. I brought my chainsaw to a work party at the club last fall, and it kinda got the crap beat out of it. I definitely need to bring it in, clean it up, and swap the chain.
The one thing I've found that many people don't have enough of (given how many engines they have) is motor oil. Enough ammo for a decade, .gasoline up the ying-yang, and a five year old half-a-quart on a shelf someplace....

There was a discussion this morning on Toucher and Rich sports radio about "Why do you need to fill up your tank before a snow storm? By the time you can drive anywhere, all the stations are open again." They also talked about the police detail in the parking lot of Whole Foods in Newton, and how some grocery stores are hiring "Bouncers" in anticipation of the storm.

MBTA shuts down at 3:30 this afternoon.

Not sure if it's been mentioned or not;

If you have a Direct vent ( side wall vent ) Boiler,furnace, or water heater, make sure the snow doesn't block the vents or intake. with drifts expected vents can easily be blocked, and can shut down your sytem.

There was a discussion this morning on Toucher and Rich sports radio about "Why do you need to fill up your tank before a snow storm? By the time you can drive anywhere, all the stations are open again."

I fill up to get the extra weight of 18 gallons to give me better traction on my rear wheel drive vehicle.

On another note, I decided to replace the the battery in my generator. It's pretty old, and the genny doesn't have a charging system. It won't run without it. I'll head to the hardware store shortly.

Speaking of batteries, here's a reminder: charge your cell phones today, in case you lose power.

The snow events are insightful for a real SHTF situation. People basically go out and buy everything they normally would buy over the next three or four days, which makes sense. What most people don't understand is that stores and gas stations get resupplied on a regular basis so they can't necessarily support a one day 400% increase in sales. Like a busy gas station might get refilled 4 or 5 times a week, so some will run out in less than 24 hrs if they get hit just prior to a delivery. My local grocery market was out of bananas and onions. People were besides themselves, "don't you have more out back?" They should have taken her on a tour of "out back" it's surprisingly small--most product goes from the truck to the floor, and there ain't no more!

Bottom line, in a real SHTF situation a lot of stuff will be gone in 24 hours. No we have no bananas...

All I did/am doing is cancelling/rescheduling my Saturday appointments. It will be nice to have a two day weekend for a change.

It really is nice to have a stockpile of everything when these types of events happen.
I think its funny that the news focuses on "preparedness" 48 hours before these storms. I saw on wwlp this morning that they were recommending that everybody equips their vehicles with an emergency radio and a space blanket. Thanks for the tips guys. :sarcasm:

Didn't do anything special except break the tractor. I went to pull it in the garage...wouldn't start. Starter then seized. Tried to push it in to work on it...transmission stuck in gear. Ended up dragging it in with a winch and cherry picker. That's where it will sit until I come back from plowing all this crap for the town.

Get a couple hundred in cash out of the ATM. ATM's don't work if the power is out. Nothing gets the plow guys attention like waving cash.
Got a tip a while back from my LDS friends. I pay for everything for a week with $20's. Then I take all the resulting small bill change and put it in the safe.

I don't want to be buying a couple pounds of steak with a $20.

But I'm ready.....
flamedecal-L.jpg

Last edited:
im in an apartment.. laundry is done so are the dishes..went shopping yesterday..have gas in the truck..my leatherman mut on my belt. truck has blankets and a justincase..im set

I just moved my generator and tried to hook up the longer cable I purchased. I should have checked it sooner, it had the wrong plug for the generator side. Good thing I still had the cord it came with, it's a little shorter but will work.

Pam cooking spray works good on your shovel, as well as your snowblower discharge chute.

So I actually ended up using Pam instead of my car wax choice because I was too lazy to go to the basement and get the wax. Let me tell you--always use the Pam. I'm outside shoveling and grilling chicken then it comes time to flip the meat BUT I didn't have my spatula and was all covered in snow so..

I'm holding a metal shovel covered in pam--hell yeah, that's a spatula. Flipped the chicken with the shovel. Moral of the story: always use Pam spray. [smile]

IMAG1304_resized.jpg

So I actually ended up using Pam instead of my car wax choice because I was too lazy to go to the basement and get the wax. Let me tell you--always use the Pam. I'm outside shoveling and grilling chicken then it comes time to flip the meat BUT I didn't have my spatula and was all covered in snow so..

I'm holding a metal shovel covered in pam--hell yeah, that's a spatula. Flipped the chicken with the shovel. Moral of the story: always use Pam spray.

View attachment 54169

[thumbsup] [smile]

Confirm you still have a damn shovel...

We moved last summer, and our snow shovels all seem to be MIA... Guess whose digging out with the 2' folding shovel in his trunk...

Back
Top Bottom