• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Special Prep for the potential snow storm?

Generator cable and plug weather-proofed with a zip lock bag and duck tape.

plug-L.jpg

Nice!

I used to do a lot of site work that required temporary power hookup. We'd do just what you did. I hope you don't mind the critique:

- never wrap the duct tape with the end flat like that--make a little tab at the end so you can remove it;
- always make a strain relief so the cord isn't just hanging on the outlet, if you have slack and something sturdy nearby just tape the cord off so it extends at a 90 degree from the wall, if nothing just wrap tape around the cord and wrap it loosely back to the outlet. Always leave slack so you can unplug and replug without retaping.
- most of the time we'd just use plastic bags, not as nice a ziplock but them plastic bags don't breakdown like people think they do!

- always make a strain relief so the cord isn't just hanging on the outlet, if you have slack and something sturdy nearby just tape the cord off so it extends at a 90 degree from the wall, if nothing just wrap tape around the cord and wrap it loosely back to the outlet. Always leave slack so you can unplug and replug without retaping.

If that's a proper generator outlet, it's a recessed male plug, so the strain is on the wall of the receptical and not on the connections. That said, with a heavy connector like that and the weather seal cover, a quick loop of para-cord or other heavy duty thin cord under the cable and around the hinge of the weather seal cap will take the weight and strain off the cable.

Another solution that works really well is to have a hook above the plug and run a bungie cord from the hook down to the cable to take the weight off the plug.

Guess we should add snow thrower shear pins. Maybe even a belt. I keep two right on top. And only buy the Ariens brand, not aftermarket.

Last edited:
Shear pins are great, if you can get the old pins out. My snow blower has 2 shear pins broken off and jammed in the axle - I couldn't even hammer them out with a steel punch. I may have to remove the auger and axle to remove the old pins.

If that's a proper generator outlet, it's a recessed male plug, so the strain is on the wall of the receptical and not on the connections. That said, with a heavy connector like that and the weather seal cover, a quick loop of para-cord or other heavy duty thin cord under the cable and around the hinge of the weather seal cap will take the weight and strain off the cable.

Another solution that works really well is to have a hook above the plug and run a bungie cord from the hook down to the cable to take the weight off the plug.

I know these plugs and while they offer some support it's not a strain relief. The 220 cables are heavy too so even though they twist lock you should still put a strain relief on there. Take a rope and tie a bunch of clove hitches on there then tie the other end to the box.

Shear pins are great, if you can get the old pins out. My snow blower has 2 shear pins broken off and jammed in the axle - I couldn't even hammer them out with a steel punch. I may have to remove the auger and axle to remove the old pins.
I'd hit them with a center punch and drill out the center. You can't really heat anything up there because there're grease on the axle.

It's important to pull out the shear pins, hit the zerks with some grease and then spin the rakes on the shaft every season or so. If you don't, eventually corrosion will lock them to the axle and your auger drive will become your shear pin....

Back
Top Bottom