• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Speer 52gr HP (.224), cant seem to seat.

RK1717

NES Member
Hello,

I bought a pack of Speer 52Gr Varmint Hollow point for reloading 223.
I can not get the bullet to stay put on the casing. I have only been able to successfully load 5 bullets. I don't have this problem with Hornady bullets.

The first problem is I can not start the bullet by hand, so the press can finish the rest. It falls out of the neck every time, and then when I do manage to get the bullet to stay put for seating the bullet just falls loosely into the case after using the press.

Trying to hold the bullet on the casing while pulling back on the lever has been a nightmare. Is there a special way to prepare brass for this bullet

480539.jpg

Last edited:
Are you sure the bullets are 224". Also the Speer 52s are flat base are they not.
I load 60 grain Sierra varmint flat base and it takes a little practice to get the on the neck before it goes into seating die. I use the hornady new dimensions seating die which really seems align the bullet and neck well vs my Lee seating die

Hello,

Yea I just noticed the hornady is a boat tail and the speer is flat base. Having the boat tail allows me to pre-seat the bullet by hand, that first 1/1000 of an inch holds it well while the press finishes the job. Im going to have to try those dies, if not probably going to have to trade away the speers for some horndays.

When I load flat base jacketed bullets, I just hold the bullet on top of the case until it starts into the die. The second problem is either an undersize bullet or an oversize case mouth. Someone else already asked but are you sure the bullets are .224? Could you have forgotten to resize the case?

You need to chamfer the mouth of the case with one of these,that will help a lot and if you are going to load more flat base bullets. Hornady bullet seater's have the plunger that comes all the way out.

Dean

When I load flat base jacketed bullets, I just hold the bullet on top of the case until it starts into the die. The second problem is either an undersize bullet or an oversize case mouth. Someone else already asked but are you sure the bullets are .224? Could you have forgotten to resize the case?

Here they are

P1350248.jpg

I did resize. I just used the Hornady bullets instead on this pass (found a box). Its just I bought a value pack and now I sort of regret it. But I think I'm going to give the Hornady Dies a try. The one Dean had mentioned. I use the Giraud Tool Triway trimmer that does the cutting and chamfer on the inside case pretty well, I don't think I would need to chamfer more, that tool does a pretty good job. Ill run up to cabelas Sunday and grab a set of the dies.

Dean Crawford said:
Hornady bullet seater's have the plunger that comes all the way out.

Which dies is it exactly. There are 2 on Hornady's site, I cant tell the difference other than 1 says .22 Cal and is a bit shorter. I'm going to take a ride to Cabelas to pick one up. Thanks

http://www.hornady.com/store/223-Rem-c-846/

Yes the plunger bottoms out at they mouth of the case, but you still have to adjust it for the col I guess you got lucky.[laugh]

Dean

Back
Top Bottom