• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

spring striper fishin

who here is looking forward to catching some stripers stuffed with herring this spring?, i cant wait to break out the big wood plugs and fish the herring runs.

I haven't been Striper fishing yet. I wouldn't even know where to start gear wise. [thinking]

Depends upon whether you are fishing from a boat or beach. From the beach, you generally want a pretty long pole. I use a spinning reel (don't have the time to learn how to use a conventional) -- usually a Penn Slammer 560:

http://www.pennreels.com/01_products/reels/spinning/01_slammer_slammerliveliner/slammer/560.htm

I use 20lb test on it, and 3-6 oz lures. The rod I use most of the time is a 10' St. Croix Avid series rod.

But there are dozens of good reels and rods, so I'm not going to say mine is the best or that it is even "better" than the competition. I simply haven't tried enough to compare...

For lures, the best luck I've had is with Storm Shads (5-6") around 4-6 AM in the morning. YMMV.

Last edited:
Schoolies should be showing up in a month or so with the big girls a few weeks behind. Time to start getting the gear tuned up![smile]

What? Where? Oh, oh sorry I thought the title said Stripper fishing.

Respectfully,

jkelly

I'm ready and waiting for some surf fishing at plum island. My set up is a 10' okuma rod and a shimano bait-runner reel with 30 pd test.

I'm looking forward to getting my jeep on the beach (Screw the plovers) with my surf rod in the back and catchin some fish!

11' Uglystick with an Okuma reel and 30lb test. I love lure fishing...

I fish the canal too, but different times of the day and with cut bait...

Sandy Neck Beach in Barnstable/Sandwich is great. Drive the 4x4's right out on the beach, have a fire and do some fishing.[grin] Maybe we should plan a group outing?

I love striper fishing. I may miss the early season this year. I'm going to give turkey season a try.

i hunt tukeys and fish for spring stripers every year, i didnt get one last year because i only had one day to hunt do to work and school.
the spring runs of stripers lately has been insane alot better than the fall run... 30lb-40lb busting on top in the canal fixated on herring,squid and pogys. break you those yellow and blue pencil poppers boys [grin]

Can't wait for striper fishing to start up again. This is my best from last year, just before she went swimming again[smile] Hoping to get another just like it this year, only this time from the beach.

Attachments

• EasyCharlie 014 (Large).jpg
    EasyCharlie 014 (Large).jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 25
Nice fish. I got my first keeper last year -- 32". She also went swimming. In a nice marinade of soy sauce, ginger, garlic, scallions and olive oil. Then some time on the grill.

I would be careful about catching some Herring for bait. If Im not mistaken there is a notice on my desk at work from the NMFS stating there is a moratorium on herring and no fishing for them is allowed.
That said, I will be out fishing between the jetties here on Nantucket in May with eels. Crankin' 40 inchers out of the channel on a good outgoing afternoon tide. I own a Seafood market so once things kick in for the summer I dont have time to fish,all the fish I see during the summer are caught by someone else. [frown]

Larry's is a nice shop. I got a couple of my rods there and usually stop in when we visit the Vineyard. Coops is a nice shop too.

I would be careful about catching some Herring for bait. If Im not mistaken there is a notice on my desk at work from the NMFS stating there is a moratorium on herring and no fishing for them is allowed.
That said, I will be out fishing between the jetties here on Nantucket in May with eels. Crankin' 40 inchers out of the channel on a good outgoing afternoon tide. I own a Seafood market so once things kick in for the summer I dont have time to fish,all the fish I see during the summer are caught by someone else. [frown]

correct there is a moratorium... but you can still fish around the runs for bass with big plugs

[frown]
It's not just the harvest of herring that's illegal, it's also the sale and possession.

Is that because the population is down?

Yes. I believe that foreign boats were permitted to catch herring to the point of decimation. I live next to a herring run here on Nantucket and noticed numbers dropping a few years ago, a gradual yearly downhill slide. Just a few years ago I remember runs of herring thst seemed to fill the creek with more fish than water. Now there are next to none.
Sad.

That's exactly the reason. Here's an excerpt from a good article on the subject:

However, after 2000, river herring began to show new unprecedented and precipitous declines. These declines were observed not just in Buzzards Bay, but throughout the eastern seaboard of the US. Herring runs which might have once had hundreds of thousands of returning fish , now were reported to have declines of 90% or more of the population.

http://www.buzzardsbay.org/herringruns.htm

Schoolie sightings along Annisquam River in Gloucester. Perhaps I'll give it a try tomorrow after some time at the range. Or maybe I'll hold off and wait a couple more months to catch a few more of these

tuna.jpg

Back
Top Bottom