• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Standing Air Rifle

That’s a hell of a rig you’re shooting. As far as “Hardware” goes, just where we go lumped in. Hoping we get lots more to share under the forum than just what we’re shooting🍻

3 firing positions now. Standing or benchrest, as well as prone and kneeling. 3 ply lok industrial conveyor belt. 10,000 shots in very concentrated small areas at original left unit and can not even tell that it has been shot at.
8.4 grain wadcutter pellet 20231027_165953.jpg 20231027_173411.jpg 20231029_194212 - Copy.jpg at 540 fps. One advantage with 3 positions, is I can hang all 6 targets and shoot them all 60 shots total, and not have to go down range to change targets.

Last edited:
Yes, I need to start in with my LG400 now that Highpower Rifle is over for the season.
I need to get a set of sight risers for it, though.

Yes, I need to start in with my LG400 now that Highpower Rifle is over for the season.
I need to get a set of sight risers for it, though.

The LG400 adjustments are out of your comfort zone?

Shoot the VT Postal League! It is not too late to sign up for. Peter is now establishing a preliminary list of those who shoot.

Last edited:
The good news is that shooting 2 shots per bull is a good way to train, it takes the pressure off of having to be perfect with one shot, and relaxes the process. Plus it gets you shooting twice as much , in a quicker manner. I saw this from the Galway NY Jrs are practicing this way, hang 2 targets and do 400 points. Here is the Good pic, not showing the bad and ugly. Also is exciting when a good 10 is shot then shoot another one= one hole. 20231105_085204 - Copy.jpg 20231105_173926.jpg

Over the summer , shooting the outdoor 50 yd, 100 yd with the FX Crown, I picked up some bad habits. I estimated 2 weeks of indoor 10 meter to break those bad habits, it actually took 2 months to get back to my normal 10 meter. No regrets, summer outdoor is fun.

Also doing 600 course of fire once a week, goal 20231118_193501.jpg 20231118_172218.jpg is trying to get the 527 up to 540. Eliminate the wide flyers should do it.

We were just talking about something like this while at a coaching class.
Of course, we were thinking it would be better in Maine. Somewhere between Portland and Brunswick.
I think $2.5M would get the project up and running.

India National Shooting Championship, New Dehli. Nov 25, 2023.
Look at the size of this line, appears to be 80 yards, and they had 18 or more relays.
Am trying to find more info., scores, results. 20231201_074406.jpg 20231201_074441.jpg 20231201_074732.jpg

That is a great start, for me a recent advance was zero air in lungs for hold/release, very comfortable with this for the first time ever. And got a new glove, the old 1 year use one had lost its support after 30k, so the new one has got my hold very steady, big difference, going to get a new spare glove. CC fingerless.
My son is first year with air rifle, and is at 80% standing. He is excited as he is putting the work in, and seeing the results. He is also investigating newer equipment and gear.
Also , slowly putting together a free open source arduino electronic scoring system. Witness paper is obtained via amazon black craft paper on a roll, then cut to size 3.5" on table saw, low cost $. 20231214_202853.jpg

Finally got myself an inner and outer 177 score plugs, the outer scores to the 8 ring, unlike the outer 22 which scores to the 7 ring.
This led to confusion and not getting them, as they look similar. Years ago , these were not available, I have been a sleep for a while,
now they are , via CC. 20231218_105216.jpg

About the Vt postal League, semi recently , you can use your browser and go to Microsoft Office .com , and use Office, Excel entering data/scores for free now.
This is how you submit your weekly score. I am a bit of a dinosaur on the recent tech stuff, and this was easy for me.

Cap City in Augusta. They shoot both Air Rifle and Air Pistol at the same time on the same line.
The Sectional last week was a 600-ag. I'm assuming the State Championship will be the same.
Feb 17 and 18.

Something new to try. Semi recent results, (not me), with 177 pcp sub 12 ft pds air rifle shows very good bench rest results at 50 yards, target is 2" od, black dot approx 1/4", all on an 50-Yard .177 Challenge 10-7-22B - Copy.jpg 8 1/2" x 11"
So if this can be done at the bench , the next step will be to do it Standing.
Start the evening off with the FX Crown 22 slug at 100 yards 40 shot Standing, then go to the FWB 177 for either open sights or scope
50 yards 40 shot Standing.
Or use the Standard NRA 50 yard small bore rifle TQ-3/2 target, seeing that it is Standing, and not benching it.
I think the newer pellets being made are making this tight grouping happen.
Will give more details as it moves forward.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom