Started My first build ever

warwickben

bubba Kalashnikov
Well this is the first time I've ever assembled a weapon. Figure nows a good of time as any to dive in and start a AR15 build.

I picked up a S&W lower and a rock river arms lower parts kit at four seasons today... If any one was there I was the dirty looking kid on crutches.
Just came from work. I broke my middle toe and some bone in my foot Monday lol.....

Watched the videos on brownells as I went along and got it done in under a hour.if they showed the parts better in the video, I probably could of done it faster.

Well I might get a laugh or be called a dumbass for this. I forgot my tools at work and couldn't wait to start. Probably cause of the painkillers and massive amount of coffee I've been drinking.
I just used house hold items as tools what ever was in my room.

Before and after.
qevyjure.jpg

5ymyreve.jpg

da8yzety.jpg

Send it!

This is going to be my first project as well, I'm just waiting for the umbrella corp lowers to be ready to ship; looks good so far... ^ same question Terrys has, what upper are you looking at using?

Resident evil lower thats awesome lol.

I'm not sure who I'm Going with right now for the upper .still checking stuff out Researching etc. I don't see my self really building ar's a lot so I'll probly buy one pre put together for me. Unless a nes member will give me a hand one day and assembly the upper with me and check head spacing etc.

But I have a idea for what I want for a upper. Flat top with knurled free floating hand guard with a mounting point for a bi pod/sling. basic stainless varmint/bull barrel. Maybe with a comp on the end. I'm trying to figure out a good length.

Wish I could find a good working .410 upper lol just to have you know :).

I'm going with the stock in the upper left hand corner .
napegepa.jpg

Send it!

I like the collapsible hammer stock, but I don't want/need a collapsible; that ARFX skeleton you are looking at is nice... if you come across anything else, keep it in this thread, I may have to siphon off your thoughts as this progresses.

I'm stuck in mass so I don't feel like pining a stock. Lol.

I shot my buddies with a m4 adjustable type wasn't realy a fan of it and just left it extended since I have long arms.

I found wood stocks for ar's I like the looks but I think it would add to much weight . I want to keep it stupid simple light weight.

The stock I'm getting comes with the buffer parts for 100$ plus shipping not bad price. I'll probly wrap the lower section with some paracord. thinking of painting some of the parts od green for a two tone look ,once I get it all built ill decide to paint or not.

Now I can stop looking at parts lol, wouldn't mind a .50bmg upper .big money and I don't really have a place or need to shoot that lol.

But I'm def getting 5.56 as my first upper and def want to find a good .410 upper :)...

I wish I took pics of me putting it together I was all messed up on my pain killers and the tools I used my buddy's at work who shoot couldn't believe what I used.

Send it!

So should I or should I not fill in the engraving with paint. I was thinking of using white for the s&w logo,safe and red for fire.

Not sure if I want to fill in the rest tell me what you guys think...

Send it!

Na Loki gave me the idea in a pm to use a crayon to see if I liked it I forgot it was him lol. His idea worked but man that was a pain to clean out ...
this is after one coat of paint... Gonna go over the white one more time...

aba3ava5.jpg

Now if there was a way I could of gotten Rambo Gizmo engraved where the MP15 logo is on the other side of the mag well. Any one can make me it a decal or art work I did find a laser engraver :)....

I found one company that can Fill the engraving ,all but the ATF stuff. And put what ever you want on it. They wont do gizmo cause of copyright laws err.

Would love to have gizmo on one side with the rules on the other ,and safe =gizmo, fire = gremlins .... Figure every one dose zombie stuff I'll do a gremlins theme lol...

Send it!

Dose any one have advice on uppers?
I think what I want Is called a varmint upper. I don't wants to spend tons of money just looking for a first decent upper... I plan when I got the cash and tools ,I'd just pick and chose every little part. But for now I want something that's not junk and won't break the bank.

what I found so far is this, I'd throw on a smooth free float later..

400$ plus s/h
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/51...chrome-moly-matte-with-glacierguard-handguard

Or model1sales.com for roughly 500$ shipped ..

Send it!

Hmm didn't know that..
The stock and all the parts I got are a2 length.

So what length barrel do I go with?
I was going to build/buy a varmint style upper. Still debating the build part cause I don't really see my self building uppers a lot..

Send it!

I'm VERY happy with my Rock River Predator Pursuit upper. Note it did have a four+month lead time, as RRA sources the SS barrels from Wilson Combat & they're perpetually backordered. I get sub 1" groups with Hornady Superformance Varmint, or ZombieMax at 100 yards. Generally less than two inches with most other 'commercial' ammo, and about the same with milspec 5.56.

I have a really good Geissele SSA trigger, and Nikon M-223 3-12x42SF scope.

That's good to know..
That's the one thing I've realized long long lead times. :(
I wish there was stores near by I could walk in and pick a upper out and walk out with it in hand..
Still haven't gotten a tracking number from midway etc and I ordered all the stock/buffer stuff 12 hours ago(yes 430 am lol)

Send it!

I ran that stock setup on a 16" barrel with mid length gas system without any issues whatsoever. It would be fine on a longer varmint style upper.

Sent from my wagon on the Oregon Trail

careful... rifle buffer, spring and tube..... if you use a carbine or mid-length upper (instead of a rifle length upper) you may run into problems.....

Yes. And keep the diameter the same. I believe the M&P 15 lower like the one you have is the same as mine, and is a Mil-spec diameter. So get the corresponding carbine buffer spring and mil-spec buffer tube.

Man I'm really confused.

The stock i bought is a2 length stock, tube buffer , and spring. So all that should be good right?

I guess I'm really new. What should I look at when looking for a upper, so every thing works right?

Send it!

If you bought a A2 RIFLE length stock then you should be good with the rifle length buffer tube and spring. I misread your posts, you will have a working AR sometime in the future with all these great parts.

Back
Top Bottom