Started My first build ever

You can use whatever length barrel you want (legally, obviously). It's going to run softer with a rifle length gas system, which is probably what a varmint upper would have. The upper "length" in regards to carbine, rifle etc is referring to the gas system length. Don't worry, you're in good shape.

Looks like a nice setup.
I am leaning toward the same stock (on sale at Midway $58.99)
I have a few questions:
Does the Buffer Tube come with or require a nut to secure it to the lower?
Does the stock include the screw to attach to the buffer tube?
Is there a difference in quality or performance between manufacturers of the buffer, tube, or spring?

The buffer tube screws in to the lower.the adjustable stocks are the ones with a nut holding them on, and there mil spec and commercial buffers tubes for those and the stocks only fit one not both.

I went with a fixed stock, cause I'm from mass and the few ar's I've shot I always pulled it all the way out Any way. I didn't need the tactical cool look. I wanna make it a light , and simple stupid Ar you know what I mean ....

Brownells have some good videos. I've used them so far.

I'm assuming the stock comes with the hard ware that screws it to the buffer tube.one screw in to the rear of the buffer.

Check back in a few days should be on my door step mid week.

I paid 108$ or was it 109$ for it shipped from midway to mass.
Model one sales dose not have a checkout etc etc so I went hunting for the same deal and found it on midway but I had to order the buffer stuff one by one.no package deal tho ..
Just read what length buffer you need with the stock. They have a shorter one you use a different buffer tube with. The full size one uses a2 parts...that what I got.

I'm very new to ar's so I can't really tell you if what makes a better buffer tube ,buffer etc etc. I just liked the stock for some thing light and simple etc. And the rest of the stuff was price mainly... i know i know you get what you paid for.

I kinda wished I went with a wood set tho :).
I'm a wood worker and build custom bass guitars so I might down the road carve a stock out of some crazy wood..

Last edited:
Like you said, the buffer tube screws into the receiver - no nut needed. The Ace stock does come with the bolt to attach it to the buffer tube. The buffer tube has a threaded hole in the back end of it that gets the screw through the stock. The stock also has an alignment nub on the front that sits in the recessed area on the back of the receiver, to make sure it's straight. Very easy install. Putting the foam tube on is the trickiest part, but if you use some soapy water on the inside of it before you slide it on, as well as some on the tube, it spins on fairly easily and will dry up no problem.

Depending on your location. Call Pete from ar15sales.com he has some of the best prices on rock river arms, stag, LMT. He has a store just over the boarder in nh. Most of his stuff ships for free.
Just to get idea of how Pete works.
I wanted a rra national match rifle. (Cost to build was more to buy) when all the local shops where quoteing 1350.00 and 90 days I got mine from ar15sales.com for 950.00 shipped in less than 2 weeks.

Pete is all AR 's.......he can hook you up with just about anything. Knows what Massachusetts needs are. I have never been to his store. I'm a tad to south.
I highly recommend a 2 stage trigger if your going the varmint route.
Pete will put together a kit or package deal for you also.

Just a side note....your going to have to keep in mind for scope hieght with your stock. For me even with the flat top and the shortest rings I can not get a solid cheak mount and see through the scope. I have to almost float my head above the stock to get up behind the scope.

I recommend the national match model its by far the most accurate ar I own. Off the rest I get 1moa groups with hornady match and my match hand loads.....now if I could only shoot that well. Down side to this model is it is heavy. Has a heavy free float tube hidden under the hand guards.

On a good day my stag model 2 gets under 3 moa with match ammo

Last edited:
I need to learn what moa is lol. I'm really green when it comes to rifles.I was going to get a good set of flip up iron sights and start there. Get a book read some, get advice from people I meat. I lucked that i work in a machine shop. I was thinking I could always make a cheek rest that I can add on.

Thank you for letting me know about that site . I live and work near the boarder in mass so I might drop in, or give them a ring. Thank you again

MOA of angle in simple terms is 1" at 100 yards....so if you here someone say my rifle shoots 1 moa= aiming at the same spot and all things are repeated the same shot after shot your group of hits on the target should be all with in a 1" spot on the target.
Now when it comes to adjusting your sights or scope it gets a little different....

as usual there are plenty of youtube videos http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA2PZBD5Tjg this is just sample, I didnt even watch this it was just the 1st video that came up

There is so much to think about. For a 1st AR.
Comes down to what are you most likely going to do/shoot

Last edited:
I bought a 16 inch with the free float knurled tube. I forgot to add on a compensator though, so I may have one installed .
I also built a 24in one for long range .

I have seen the varmint gun term used a bit......a little tie bit that I learner the hard way.
When talking varmint guns be aware of the different barrel twist. Lots of varmint guns are for small critters like ground hogs and such and there's a lot of shooters who use 40gn bullets at very high velocity the barrel twist rates are slower 1/10 compared to 1/8 p
or 1/7 twist for the heavier bullets 69 grains
After being down this road I personally if had a chance to do it over I would buy
RRA national match first any decent brand 16" carbine 2 nd no frills no rails just good old iron sights. Might go flat top with detachable carry handle so have opptions for optics as eyes get older. Spend the rest of the money I did on good usgi 20 round Mag's and ammo.

I didn't do that....I lucked out though and broke even on everything I ended up selling.....

Last edited:
Well my stock came today.
The odd thing about midway is they shipped it ups to the post office near me then, USPS brought it to me weird?

ejaneqe3.jpg

I used a little bit of lube on the out side of the buffer tube to slide the foam over it. Made it real easy to get on after.

I wasn't sure where I should put the sling mount so I tossed it on the bottom rear hole.

Should I lube the buffer/spring. Is it normal to hear it rattle around alittle ?

Well my stock came today.
The odd thing about midway is they shipped it ups to the post office near me then, USPS brought it to me weird?

ejaneqe3.jpg

I used a little bit of lube on the out side of the buffer tube to slide the foam over it. Made it real easy to get on after.

I wasn't sure where I should put the sling mount so I tossed it on the bottom rear hole.

Should I lube the buffer/spring. Is it normal to hear it rattle around alittle ?

Definitely lube it up AR's love the lube. And in the future instead of using lube which will stay slick, try dish soap it gives enough slip like the lube but when it dries its sticky and will keep it right in place.

I debated using a little soap. I used to do that with bike grips :). But I figured I'd want to be able to remove the foam later not having to cut it off lol... Kinda wished I new where to get para cord.

I had a idea of removing the foam and wrapping the buffer with it but not sure how or if my face would like it lol.

Now I need to save some money and get me a upper...

leaning towards www.mapartsinc.com for a upper.

Like I've said 100 times I'm pretty new to ar's where should I put oil on my lower?

For the lower you'll want to concentrate on the buffer tube(inside) I lube up the spring and buffer good so that I know the tube is lubed inside. I don't lube the trigger up since that'll just give you more to clean off. If it was an automatic I would put a little in trigger assembly. Your main thing to lube is the BCG. I lube it up until it is dripping shake off the excess and throw it in. Just remember everyone has there own techniques for things but I think one thing I think everyone will agree on is keep your AR wet and it will be happy. In the marines when on the range we had spray bottles of CLP and would spray few shots right into the ejection port.

Oh and with all the lube comes with all the cleaning. Keep her happy and it won't let you down. You may find that you end up cleaning longer than shooting especially if you clean it good.

I'm used to running my 1911 wet. And cleaning it lol.

I oiled the pins on my trigger group and rubbed just a little on the areas the rub on each other And coated my buffer.

I'm used to running my 1911 wet. And cleaning it lol.

I oiled the pins on my trigger group and rubbed just a little on the areas the rub on each other And coated my buffer.

Lightly is the key word. I learned a ton from the AR forum and I believe this is the best way to properly run any AR:

bolt_lube1.jpg

lube_def1.jpg

rifle_lube_chart1.jpg

And done! [thumbsup]

Back
Top Bottom