Stay away from Universal Firearms in Wake Field

. As for the police taking a look at the rifle. I live in a town where it is VERY hard to get an LTC-A. Near impossible. I didnt want to give them any reason to revoke it. Granted, I could have done a few things very differently. But in the end it boils down to an agreement that wasn't kept and the blatant slaps in the face I've taken. I am still going to pursue this. Will I get anywhere? Not likely.

Sadly, I know what you mean. I also have an ALP in a town where they are difficult to get and I'd probably jump through hoops to stay on the CLEO's good side.

I hope you get your $ back.

You bought and it was taken from you. You have no idea who has this rifle that has a paper trail with your name on it. REPORT IT STOLEN.

Yes, after some research the shop did sell me a legal rifle. Everyone involved was told it was illegal in Mass to possess. So my local PD tried to do me a favor in giving the rifle back to them on the grounds that they return my money. They agreed, they got the rifle back and I'm still out $1200 and have no reason to believe I'll ever see it. As for the police taking a look at the rifle. I live in a town where it is VERY hard to get an LTC-A. Near impossible. I didnt want to give them any reason to revoke it. Granted, I could have done a few things very differently. But in the end it boils down to an agreement that wasn't kept and the blatant slaps in the face I've taken. I am still going to pursue this. Will I get anywhere? Not likely.

why the hell did you wait so long? a year???

Yes, after some research the shop did sell me a legal rifle. Everyone involved was told it was illegal in Mass to possess. So my local PD tried to do me a favor in giving the rifle back to them on the grounds that they return my money. They agreed, they got the rifle back and I'm still out $1200 and have no reason to believe I'll ever see it. As for the police taking a look at the rifle. I live in a town where it is VERY hard to get an LTC-A. Near impossible. I didnt want to give them any reason to revoke it. Granted, I could have done a few things very differently. But in the end it boils down to an agreement that wasn't kept and the blatant slaps in the face I've taken. I am still going to pursue this. Will I get anywhere? Not likely.

Did my IQ just drop?! I dont have a g-d clue what the hell the problem is here. You bought a rifle from a shop in Rhode Island (Long guns can be bought from a dealer in any state so long as the transfer is legal in both states). He sold you an AR-15 that was equipped with a muzzle brake (legal to own in MA as long as it is permanently attached and assuming the only other evil feature was the detachable magazine). During the RI state mandated background check your Chief of Police in MA was notified, he mandated an inspection, couldn't tell the difference between a muzzle brake and a flash supressor and then confiscated it from you?!?! And then sent it back to the shop in RI?!?!

If I haven't gotten any of the details wrong all I can say is what a complete cluster F---. I'd contact a lawyer.

Did my IQ just drop?! I dont have a g-d clue what the hell the problem is here. You bought a rifle from a shop in Rhode Island (Long guns can be bought from a dealer in any state so long as the transfer is legal in both states). He sold you an AR-15 that was equipped with a muzzle brake (legal to own in MA as long as it is permanently attached and assuming the only other evil feature was the detachable magazine). During the RI state mandated background check your Chief of Police in MA was notified, he mandated an inspection, couldn't tell the difference between a muzzle brake and a flash supressor and then confiscated it from you?!?! And then sent it back to the shop in RI?!?!

If I haven't gotten any of the details wrong all I can say is what a complete cluster F---. I'd contact a lawyer.

Thank you for sorting that out for me. Oh, my head ...

That's is exactly what I thought happened and the OP seemed to confirm this in reply to me. UNREAL! We hear a lot of outrageous stuff that happens in this crazy state, but this is the most off-the-meter thing I have heard in quite a while.

Note to self: never buy a rifle in RI - who knows what my PD would do if they received a call like that......

That's is exactly what I thought happened and the OP seemed to confirm this in reply to me. UNREAL! We hear a lot of outrageous stuff that happens in this crazy state, but this is the most off-the-meter thing I have heard in quite a while.

Note to self: never buy a rifle in RI - who knows what my PD would do if they received a call like that......

Yeah, its quite the cluster fu(k. If nothing else I learned a hell of alot from it. I'm gonna keep trying and looking into the various options you guys have suggested. Thanks for all that and not flaming me for the ignorance......

I'm lucky enough to live in a town where I think the PD would respond with, "and you're calling us because why?" But then the restriction my chief put on me when I got my LTC was that I was required to call him for advice if I ever couldn't decide between two guns to buy. [smile]

Yeah, its quite the cluster fu(k. If nothing else I learned a hell of alot from it. I'm gonna keep trying and looking into the various options you guys have suggested. Thanks for all that and not flaming me for the ignorance......

Sweet Jesus I would have been on the phone with an attorney the minute they said they were going to take it. Never mind Universal Firearms what about bringing a lawsuit against the Chief in the town you live in.

I'd love to know the town that this happened in. Don't blame you if you don't want to post it on an open forum.

Last edited:

" ... begin by Laws to perplex their Commerce with infinite Regulations impossible to be remembered and observed; ordain Seizures of their Property for every Failure; take away the Trial of such Property by Jury, and give it to arbitrary Judges of your own appointing, and of the lowest Characters in the Country, whose Salaries and Emoluments are to arise out of the Duties or Condemnations ..."

from the Memoirs of Bejamin Franklin

Christ. Do you think that the conditions that led to the American Revolution are visited upon us again? No, no ... that's crazy talk. It's seditious. Must ... lie ... down ...

Note to self: Never buy a rifle in Rhode Island- ever- you might end up with your very own Benny Hill show, using your own money. [laugh]

At least that's about the most I've been able to distill out of this thread.

-Mike

Now I am confused... How could a MA resident go into RI and purchase a non-C&R rifle and just walk out with it, come back into MA and just fill out a FA-10.... On several of the other threads I "though" it was stated that all inter-state transfer must go thru an FFL in the buyer's home State? Am I missing something in this scenario????

Now I am confused... How could a MA resident go into RI and purchase a non-C&R rifle and just walk out with it, come back into MA and just fill out a FA-10.... On several of the other threads I "though" it was stated that all inter-state transfer must go thru an FFL in the buyer's home State? Am I missing something in this scenario????

Rifles and Shotguns are exempt from that- you can buy those anywhere (and take possession immediately) as long as it's from an FFL and it's legal for the FFL in that state to sell a non-resident a rifle/shotgun.

-Mike

Rifles and Shotguns are exempt from that- you can buy those anywhere (and take possession immediately) as long as it's from an FFL and it's legal for the FFL in that state to sell a non-resident a rifle/shotgun.

-Mike

You're right about everything with the exception of the "take possession immediately" part (in RI anyway). It's more like take possession 8 days after you fill out the paperwork in this case.

You're right about everything with the exception of the "take possession immediately" part (in RI anyway). It's more like take possession 8 days after you fill out the paperwork in this case.

Yeah, I should have mentioned that- some states have silly waiting periods, etc, which can affect possession. Most of the "free" states
generally don't have these things, however.

-Mike

-Mike

It is funny, too. Did you know that in SC(state law) they are only allowed to sell to adjacent states? I saw this recently. So you can't buy a rifle, there.

LOL

It is funny, too. Did you know that in SC(state law) they are only allowed to sell to adjacent states? I saw this recently. So you can't buy a rifle, there.

Yes, there are a bunch of states that are like that. At least it's better than MA, where they can't sell to ANY non-residents.

You're right about everything with the exception of the "take possession immediately" part (in RI anyway).

Yes, I assume he meant "take possession physically" (i.e. you cannot buy it out of state and have it shipped to you.) You can, however, take possession of it and then ship it to yourself.

But then the restriction my chief put on me when I got my LTC was that I was required to call him for advice if I ever couldn't decide between two guns to buy. [smile]

Why not just buy both guns? But I see you've already done that in your new acquisitions for August.

Yeah, I should have mentioned that- some states have silly waiting periods, etc, which can affect possession. Most of the "free" states
generally don't have these things, however.

-Mike

Most states don't have them, let alone "free states". I mean come on, MA doesn't even have a waiting period. WTF is up with RI?

Contact the BTAF and start an investigation. I don't think the gun shop in RI even has this gun. You are still the owner listed if you did an FA10 in Mass. I am not sure what you filled out in RI and where that paper trail goes. I sure as hell would not want anyone knocking on my door to investigate a gun crime with a gun that has a paper trail to me and no idea where the gun is or who has it especially after almost two years.
The BTAF will also light a fire under that gun shop and no one wants the BTAF snooping around.
We just went through a BTAF Audit. It took weeks and was not a fun thing, although everything worked out it still isn't anything these folks at the RI gun shop want to be involved in.

At this point it is more then just the money. I would be more concerned about where the gun is and who has it and the paper trail be corrected. I certenly would not want a gun that I don't have that might still have an ownership paper trail to me. Leave this to the BTAF to sort out.

I certenly would not want a gun that I don't have that might still have an ownership paper trail to me.

Well, he did say his local PD took the gun. I'm figuring (hoping?) he got a receipt from them for it. That would break the paper trail to him.

Even so, I think calling the BATFE is not a bad suggestion at all.

Someone at the local PD may have the gun?? Think about that. Sometimes these things become some sort of under the table deal no paper work and some LE has the thing in stuffed away in a closet at home. Thats why the BTAF needs to start an investagation.

Back
Top Bottom