• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

steel vs. brass case

Noob question: what are the advantages/disadvantages of steel case vs. brass. I just bought some S&B copper plated steel case range ammo, 'cause that's what they had. I'll be running it through an M&P9.

Steel is cheaper. Brass is reloadable. Brass is a softer metal and therefore gentler on the internals of the gun. Its often a subject of debate as far as how much gentler brass is.

Steel can be made as soft as it needs to be to work in firearms as a cartridge. Using steel cased ammo does not concern me in the least.

I asked a similar question a while back. I was told basically the same thing, brass is reloadable and easier on the internals of your gun, and steel is cheaper, but still functions ok and shouldn't hurt your gun as long as it is in good condition. You can reload some steel that is boxer primed, but it will wear out your dies a lot quicker than brass, and most of it is berdan primed anyway. As long as you intend to just shoot it and not reload it, you shouldn't have any problem.

Be sure to store it in a dry place, as I have had some rust after getting damp at the range and forgetting to dry it properly. It was coated but all the scratches in the coating had a little rust when I took it out.

Brass is much softer than standard Military steel, But a few companies make soft steel cases. With S&B, you should be fine. I have lots of steel case, no issues at all. JP

Being a reloader, I NEVER EVER buy anything that I can't reload later.

So, I never buy any steel. If you are NEVER going to reload them, then anything will shoot in your gun.

Back
Top Bottom