Struggling with reloading .223!! Pointers?

Is that FC 06 or LC 06? If LC, its great stuff, if it's Federal, inspect it carefully. It tends to stretch. The brass is also soft and the primer pockets tend to not hold a primer after a couple of reloads.

This is FC but it is a whole different animal from the soft commercial stuff. If this brass was soft, the crimp would come out easily. Military spec brass is different from commercial.

Well guys- I rec'd the new die parts from Hornaday today! Set the die up and used Dillon lube spray on a couple dozen cases and all went well. I could really notice the difference between this and the One Shot... who knows, maybe I didn't use enough One Shot last time.

I found a great deal - $58.95/1000 - on 55gr Hornady FMJBT bullets form an online retailer that will ship to Mass.

With shipping, I paid $130 for 2000 bullets. PM me if you'd like details. If I know you, I'll PM back.

I found a great deal - $58.95/1000 - on 55gr Hornady FMJBT bullets form an online retailer that will ship to Mass.

With shipping, I paid $130 for 2000 bullets. PM me if you'd like details. If I know you, I'll PM back.

Try ******. A couple of years ago I got a bunch of IMI 55 gr bullets for 3.5 cents each.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try ********. A couple of years ago I got a bunch of IMI 55 gr bullets for 3.5 cents each.

That was then, this is now:

H2267B BULK (.224) 22 CAL 55 GR Full Metal Jacket Boat Tail W/C $72.00 / 1000 Special $360 / 6000
BACK IN STOCK SUPPLY LIMITED

Why delete the name of the dealer? ****** has some great deals on components.

Why delete the name of the dealer? ****** has some great deals on components.

I think you need to read up on Massachusetts' gun law before you start publishing, or re-publishing the names of out of state ammo dealers.

For a dealer to sell ammo, which includes components thereof, he must have a MA state-isued license to do so.

To get such a license, the dealer must have a business located in this state, and must apply to the local police chief for that license. There is no provision for the licensing of an out of state ammo dealer.

The Attorney General's Office has, over the years, aggressively prosecuted several high profile out of state dealers, who settled their cases with hefty civil fines and an agreement to cease and desist.

Now do you see why we don't publish the names of those dealers who are willing to ship ammo or components into this state?

DAA

Last edited:
IANAL, but as I understand it this statement is slightly more accurate:
..For an out-of state dealer to deliver ammo into Massachusetts, which includes components thereof, a previous MA Attorney General has asserted that said dealer must have a MA state-isued license to do so...

Last edited:
The past is precedent.

It is also worth noting that the present AG is a good friend and political ally of both of her predecessors.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

If you were an out of state ammo dealer, would you ship ammo here? Most won't. MA gun ownerswho make their own ammo want and need to proctect the identities of those dealers who will.

Please help us keep this info from being waved under the AG's nose.

Darius Arbabi

Last edited:
I agree with you Darius. What happened in the past certainly affects behavior in the present, and despite some early hints I don't think the current AG has shown herself to be noticeably different from her predecessors.

I'm curious though whether there is truly a legal precedent that validates Reilly's actions. Did any of the dealers challenge "Godfather" Reilly's attempted blackmail in court? If so, what was the outcome?

I think you need to read up on Massachusetts' gun law before you start publishing, or re-publishing the names of out of state ammo dealers.

For a dealer to sell ammo, which includes components thereof, he must have a MA state-isued license to do so.

To get such a license, the dealer must have a business located in this state, and must apply to the local police chief for that license. There is no provision for the licensing of an out of state ammo dealer.

The Attorney General's Office has, over the years, aggressively prosecuted several high profile out of state dealers, who settled their cases with hefty civil fines and an agreement to cease and desist.

Now do you see why we don't publish the names of those dealers who are willing to ship ammo or components into this state?

DAA

Oops! Sometimes I forget where I live. BTW I haven't heard of any successful prosecutions, I think this is just s care tactic.

Oops! Sometimes I forget where I live. BTW I haven't heard of any successful prosecutions, I think this is just s care tactic.

No, sadly, you are not correct. Here's a link:

AMMUNITION LAWSUITS OVER INTERNET SALES

Five sellers of ammunition over the Internet are the target of Massachusetts Attorney General Thomas Reilly, who has sued two retailers and reached settlements with three others for the payment of a $2,500 fine.

None of the dealers held proper Massachusetts licenses to sell ammunition or verified that a buyer was authorized to buy ammunition under Massachusetts law, according to Reilly's office.

The settlements were reached with Discount Distributors, Inc., of West Berlin, N.J., which operates http://www.ammoman.com, Midway Arms, Inc. of Columbia, Mo. and Kiesler's Police Supply of Jeffersonville, Ind. Suits were against The Ammo Bank of Rochester, N.Y., and Cascade Ammunition of Roseburg, Ore.

Excerpted from Calgunlaws.com

No, sadly, you are not correct. Here's a link:

AMMUNITION LAWSUITS OVER INTERNET SALES

Five sellers of ammunition over the Internet are the target of Massachusetts Attorney General Thomas Reilly, who has sued two retailers and reached settlements with three others for the payment of a $2,500 fine.

None of the dealers held proper Massachusetts licenses to sell ammunition or verified that a buyer was authorized to buy ammunition under Massachusetts law, according to Reilly's office.

The settlements were reached with Discount Distributors, Inc., of West Berlin, N.J., which operates http://www.ammoman.com, Midway Arms, Inc. of Columbia, Mo. and Kiesler's Police Supply of Jeffersonville, Ind. Suits were against The Ammo Bank of Rochester, N.Y., and Cascade Ammunition of Roseburg, Ore.

Excerpted from Calgunlaws.com

These are not successful prosecutions. The dealers are settling by paying a small fine which is a tiny percentage of the cost of defending themselves in court. In a way, they are selling us out.

In a way, they are selling us out.

How do you come to that conclusion. If they don't agree to the terms of the MA AG, they are forced out of business entirely by the way of a costly dragged out court battle. These dealers are not that big (with the exception of maybe Midway) that they can spend six figures to fight that battle. That is the theory behind NY and their cases against area gun dealers.

Having these dealers go out of business does no one any good.

These are not successful prosecutions. The dealers are settling by paying a small fine which is a tiny percentage of the cost of defending themselves in court. In a way, they are selling us out.

Yeah, sure, if you call avoiding a costly and extremely risky business
proposition for potentially little gain "selling us out". Oh
noes, the vendors are being capitalists, they're selling us out! [rolleyes]

I don't know how much these distributors make from selling stuff
to MA, but I would venture a guess that a fully protracted lawsuit
might easily destroy whatever profits they make off of MA in a
year or two. Thats a tough road to hoe, especially for a
smaller company. The other funny thing is they damn well
know they're not losing ALL the profits anyways, I'd venture a
fair guess that a lot of guys buying online are just getting supplies
through a circuitous route anyways. (eg, having a friend in NH
buy you bullets, etc. )

IIRC a long time ago some offhat shooting sports group tried to
sue the AG but they dropped the ball... and AFAIK that was a
collaborative effort by a bunch of vendors to do a lawsuit, but it
ended up failing. Maybe the vendors are just disenfranchised at
this point, who knows. They have every right to be in a pissy mood
about not wanting to sell stuff to MA. Virtually no other
state in the US presents the same level of sales barrier to
them, not even commie places like Jersey and CA.

Edit: For the doubting thomases, think about what it would
cost if the AG hits the dealers for selling ammo illegally and "wins"
compared to the cost of just the "consent decree enema" that usually
gets applied. If the AG "wins" the first round that means the
company has to absorb huge legal costs AND the fines; and then
must wage ANOTHER battle to appeal it on some other grounds. The
whole thing is a pain in the ass for all but the largest companies... 99 out of
100 times the CFO will call someone into their office after looking at the
sheets and say "So, why the f*ck are we doing this? We only made 200K from
MA last year altogether and we've spent TWICE that fighting this battle, and
we don't even know if we're going to be able to sell stuff there again by the end
of this year! " At least I think that's how the convo would go. And the 200K
figure is being overly generous. (Say they make like $30 on a case of ammo, whats
that, 6 THOUSAND or so cases of ammo? Yeah, like there is that much ammo sold dealer
direct to end-user in MA in a year.... sure. ) I know us here on NES use a lot of
ammo, but I think that's wishful thinking. [laugh]

-Mike

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom