Surefire M-6 versus MAG 951 flashlight

I have a couple of gun reviews that I like to do for the Forum, but I have to wait until I go to the Adirondacks next week, there close to the cabin we had built a shooting range.
In the meanwhile I did a shoot-out between the two most powerful flashlights that you can buy, a little while ago, I even posted it in others Forums, but it will serve as my introduction and show what I am interested on.

I am taking the MAG 951 and enough extra rechargeable batteries to walk down to the creek on the bear trail.
I have set up a recharger drived by a solar panel unit (as I don't have electric in the cabin) but I have to plan for cloudy days.

The Surefire Guardian M-6 arrived two days ago.
It is a handsome light with a hard anodized type III running for 20 minutes at 500 lumens and is smaller and lighter than the MAG 951 (as you can see in the pictures)
I have a heart stoppage when I dropped it and it landed on the grass 3 inches away from my concrete walk in the back yard.
After all I paid the full price of $392.00 plus the $12.00 shipping.

If I have dropped the MAG 951 and damaged it a $20.00 will buy a new "host" almost anywhere, (Home Depot, Wal Mart) I will have to transfer the parts to the new "host", I may do it any way if I gets tired of the black color!!

Last night with the aid of my son and a couple friends I set out to take some pictures for a COMPARISON SHOOTOUT

I took the pictures of the shed with the camera set in the tripod from fifteen yards and the light of both flashlights coming from 43 yards away.
At such short ranges you can see that the Surefire M-6 is impressive, although you can see the superiority of the MAG 951 without question.

In the basement picture you can observe how the side spill of the MAG 951 shows more illuminated area, even that the focus of the MAG 951 is far more concentrated than the M-6. So this is explained just by the massive output in lumens by the MAG 951, which is 951 lumens or almost double the Surefire output.

Pictures I could not take due to our road being so busy with traffic will have shown how at 112 yards the superiority of the MAG 951 is demonstrated, as it put so much more light in the target (a tree) than the M-6 does.

Runtime: The Surefire M-6 will run for 20 minutes in six batteries 123’s for a cost of $9.96.
The MAG 951 will run for 30 minutes putting out double the light for FREE (as the light is rechargeable)
Cost: The Surefire M-6 cost twice as much as the MAG 951.
The MAG 951 can be recharged 1,000 times for a run of 500 hours.

As the Surefire M-6 uses 6 batteries every 20 minutes (18 batteries per hour) it will spend $29.88 per hour, to run 500 hours will spend $14,940 in batteries
(Box of 12 from Surefire at $15.00 plus $5.00 shipping) or ($1.66 per battery)

The flashlights mounted in the tripods.

M-6tripod.jpg

951tripod.jpg

MAG951M-6andBB.jpg

Beamshot with the M-6

M-6beamshot2.jpg

Beamshot with the MAG 951

MAG951bas2.jpg

Tool shed beamshots from 43 yards:

Beamshot with the M-6

shedM-6.jpg

Beamshot with the MAG 951

ShedMag951.jpg

Hope the members will enjoy my little test as much as I did, one light is superior in lumen output to the other, but both are amazing in the quantity and power of their beams.
For being lighter and shorter the Surefire is better adapted to a shotgun or carbine, and this is the future use I will give this light when I get my AK, soon.
I don't think that the little 65 lumens 6 P or even the 120 lumens lamp is enough for defense, as I have to cover from my window a good 60 yards into the woods, so this light will go in the AK or Mini-14.
I want something that really blinds the opposition and this is it.

In the other hand if using a pistol I will use the MAG 951 because output double the lumens and I am used to the Chapman position and the Harries for big lights, as my .45 also have the Crimson Trace Laser grips I can not think of a better low light system to use.

The Surefire M-6 can be had over the counter or by ordering by mail from Cabela’s which I did.
The MAG 951 is my modification of the Maglite 3 D, with new modded switch and bi-pin holder, reflector, lens and battery carrier, a very elaborated set-up to take in a super bulb that runs at 3 ½ amps.

Best regards
black bear

Welcome Black Bear!

You are our 700th member and thank you for a most impressive review! Many might be interested in the innards that you have installed to get that Maglite to boost output like that.

I hope you enjoy the forums and we look forward to your further contributions here.

LenS,
Thank you for the warm welcome and happy to be here in this fine community, I did get my two .30 russian guns to do a shoot-out at my little range in the mountains, they are a AK (Maddy) and a Ruger Mini .30, but the winter caught me and the snow is 3 feet deep there, so the test will have to wait until the spring.

I don't have any problem with sharing how I built this Mega light, but parts are not always available to the public or easy to obtain, but if you twist my arm just a little bit, I can built one.
After all after retiring from watchmaking I have found myself with plenty of time in my hands, my LEO's friends think that I have a terrific idea and that should be shared with people interested in or user of flashlights.

They are the responsibles for introduccing me to the Internet and the Forums.

I am glad for the welcome, and looking forward to do some posting about my shooting experiences with the new guns I am planning to buy.

Thank to you personally and my best regards to all members
black bear

First,
Welcome, and thanks for the review..

I too would appreciate the information on how you altered the maglight.

Adam

Thanks for the welcome, glad to be here.

The light in question drive a super-bulb denominated 1185, to over 10.8 volts for the 951 lumens output.

That requiered 9 NIMHS AA
high current batteries and the proper holder for the batteries, plus an aluminum reflector (as the plastic stock will melt in one minute) and a Pyrex lens, together with a Maglite 3 D "host"

Information in how to put all the parts together (from different sources) can be had by going to Candlepower Forums and searching for MAG 951.

Right now is a group buy for the reflectors going on in CPF, I think that bulbs are also available in the Group buy section.

If you need help there contact Juancho.

If you twist my arm I may do the modification since I am retired and I have the time.

regards
black bear

I have one of Juan's lights. It's flat out amazing. I have no problem seeing the other end of my yard clearly (about 60 yards). It's about on par with one of my car's headlights.

I was sorely tempted to use it for Riverside's last low-light shoot but I figured it would be cheating. I wouldn't need to carry it: just turn it on, leave it behind, and shoot by the reflected light. It's really too bright to use indoors. Outdoors, it's great and I like that I'm not burning $1 batteries to feed it.

If anyone is looking for a rediculously bright light, you should definately get one of these. The amount of light they throw is silly.
and mine is 250 lumen less

I use mine when camping, on flood, it lights up the whole campsite making it very easy to get things done quickly

on spot, its like pointing the sun where ever you want.

I don't know black bear, but it looks like he make a quality product at a great price

Supermoto said:
If anyone is looking for a rediculously bright light, you should definately get one of these. The amount of light they throw is silly.
and mine is 250 lumen less

I use mine when camping, on flood, it lights up the whole campsite making it very easy to get things done quickly

on spot, its like pointing the sun where ever you want.

I don't know black bear, but it looks like he make a quality product at a great price

How do you get one of those Supermoto?

Mine was made by a guy on candlepowerforum
search for 700L

But Black bear make one similiar in size to mine with the same power.
and he makes this awesome light
The THR link shows what he makes and the cost

Back
Top Bottom