Tactical rifle matches

CRR

Anyone know what clubs in NY, NJ and CT run tactical rifles matches on a regular basis?

What type of "tactical" match do you seek? One that has you running around with an AR at close range, typically shot in pistol bays? Or one that has long distance shots using a bolt gun?

Bump for this. Looking for any in MA also. 2 or 3 gun shoots.

Ratdog please post a debrief on Westpoint. That looks like it is going to be great!!!

Sorry was talking to a member who said they were running regular matches - maybe the website isn't up to date. I will see him again next week - will ask what is up.

At Pioneer, we usally have two to three rifle matches a year. About two years ago now we started doing 3-gun matches.

The rifle matches are not at very long distances, usally located in the pistol bays. Run IDPA and steel Challenge matches on a regular basis.

There is a Steel Challenge match on May 2nd, and a Bug match on April 18th.

Anything in MA?

I got my M4 all set up and would like to do something more than KD type shooting.

• You’ll be run through 4 stages using IDPA-like targets, scoring, and rules.
• Plan on bringing at least 3 magazines and at least 100 rounds of ammunition for your gun.
• Please arrive in time to register by 8:15 AM; stages will begin promptly at 9:00 AM. Bring plenty of water and a bagged lunch. We will shoot RAIN or SHINE.

There is a $15 entry fee.
Sign-ups to be held at the shed starting at 8:15, cutoff is at 11:00AM.
This match does not require pre-registration. This will be on a first come, first served basis.

Take 93N into New Hampshire....go through the Hooksett tolls...get onto 89N...Off at Exit 2....Left at end...Pioneer is 3 or 4 miles down on the right...If you hit the 2nd blinking light and Page's Store, you've gone about 1/4 mile too far....

I attended one of their rifle matches last year and had a wonderful time. Great club, great people.

• You’ll be run through 4 stages using IDPA-like targets, scoring, and rules.
• Plan on bringing at least 3 magazines and at least 100 rounds of ammunition for your gun.
• Please arrive in time to register by 8:15 AM; stages will begin promptly at 9:00 AM. Bring plenty of water and a bagged lunch. We will shoot RAIN or SHINE.

There is a $15 entry fee.
Sign-ups to be held at the shed starting at 8:15, cutoff is at 11:00AM.
This match does not require pre-registration. This will be on a first come, first served basis.

Take 93N into New Hampshire....go through the Hooksett tolls...get onto 89N...Off at Exit 2....Left at end...Pioneer is 3 or 4 miles down on the right...If you hit the 2nd blinking light and Page's Store, you've gone about 1/4 mile too far....

Not much info here for a first timer...can anyone give a little detail to the course of fire for the carbine/bug competitions? I have never shot one. I have been to Dunbarton for 2 steel challenges...just a basic on equipment needed, what would a typical stage layout look like, how many rounds fired, etc....??? Is it AR type only? Would a rimfire in a tactical stock work? GSG-5 or 10/22 in an M4 stock? What do people generally shoot for BUG guns? Distances you are shooting at???

Let me try to answer all of your questions- if I miss something, clobber me...

Carbine/ BUG/ IDPA stages are typically stages where you engage targets through windows, around vehicles, around walls, etc is a (usually) predefined course of action. There are no shoot targets which you can't hit, etc...You should have a holster that blocks the trigger for IDPA....BUG needs no holster as we start from the low ready...Carbine we PREFER a sling, but a bag also works...Round count varies per stage, some as few as 5, some as many as 20 or 25....BUG is usually multiple 5 shot strings, I usually put in one mandatory reload on the clock...I have extra speed loaders/ strips you can borrow if needed.

Carbine match is open to pretty much everything...AR, AK, Kel-Tec, GSG (which is what I shoot), 10/22, whatever...We group it as follows: Pistol Caliber or better, irons and optics, and rimfire, iron or optics....

BUG (which is my baby) is open to pretty much everything as well. All of the stages are 5 shot (with the exception of one, which has the mandatory reload). I break it up as 5 shot revolver, small semi auto, then everything else. That way, if you don't have a BUG but want to come an shoot, come on down and have fun.

Distances range from about 5 yards out to about 25 or so, depending upon the venue.

The club is, in my opinion, pretty laid back and open to pretty much anything to get new shooters involved...

If you have more questions, PM me and I will give you my number and we can talk. We can meet at the club if you want and I can show you around. We can also hook up at the match and I will show you around and answer any questions.

We are VERY newbie friendly...

I was all set and ready to say I will be there with my buddy and a few AR's, but then I realized I have to be in New Jersey for a wedding Friday night. [frown] I am pretty upset about this. Is this match a regular thing? I would absolutely love to shoot in one of these, it sounds like an awesome road trip for a weekend up north. Please let us know how it goes. [sad2]

Ed

We have a Carbine match on the 20th...IDPA on the 27th...IDPA on July 18th...a two day CERF/ fundraiser for Veteran's families of NH match with Major Waldron's on Aug 1 (IDPA style at Pioneer) and 2 (Rifle stuff there)...IDPA on Sept 19...Steel on Oct 3...BUG on thr 17th...

We are working on more matches in July and August...3-gun and Shotgun stuff, as well as more IDPA...

The tac rifle matches @ pioneer are a hoot! Ill hopefully be at the match on the 20th. EMH and the rest of the PSA guys make shooting these matches a lot of fun, especially if you're new! I shot my first 3gun and shotgun matches ever up there last year.

FWIW, its only just over an hour drive from the north shore. Definately a worthwhile trip!

Back
Top Bottom