Tactical rifle matches

If you are talking about the one on the 20th...I'll be there a bit late...9:30-10ish...my midget has T-Ball, and that takes priority...

I'll be there in either a red Subaru Outback or an old brown Impala, and, knowing me, will have a cigar hanging out of my mouth...come find me and I will show you around...

Mark

Pioneer Rifle match

Just found my answers (just need to read ALL the pages).
It says Pioneer has a tactical rifle match June 20. Do you know if it's on? Do you know the course of fire, rounds needed etc?

Thanks

Chris

At Pioneer, we usally have two to three rifle matches a year. About two years ago now we started doing 3-gun matches.

The rifle matches are not at very long distances, usally located in the pistol bays. Run IDPA and steel Challenge matches on a regular basis.

There is a Steel Challenge match on May 2nd, and a Bug match on April 18th.

Last edited:
Pioneer Rifle match

Mark,

Do I interpret that you don't need to be there by 8:45AM? You can show up later and still shoot?

Chris

If you are talking about the one on the 20th...I'll be there a bit late...9:30-10ish...my midget has T-Ball, and that takes priority...

I'll be there in either a red Subaru Outback or an old brown Impala, and, knowing me, will have a cigar hanging out of my mouth...come find me and I will show you around...

Mark

Correct- the official cut off is 11ish...Fair warning, though....if 1,000,000 people show up, we will shut down registration earlier...If you are late because you are waiting for me for me to show you around and I'm going to be late, I'll get you in.

Correct- the official cut off is 11ish...Fair warning, though....if 1,000,000 people show up, we will shut down registration earlier...If you are late because you are waiting for me for me to show you around and I'm going to be late, I'll get you in.

If 1,000,000 people show up those cut off can shoot me.

Do the courses of fire involve a secondary weapon system? (ie - pistol) or is this 100% rifle only?

What about taking one of the tactical rifle matches and turning it into a two gun match ie pistol/rifle.

I will help plan/set up/run if need be. But I will be honest, IPSC rules would be better, more mag changes higer round count and multiple transitions per stage would make a great day of shooting

-DM-

Last edited:
That's a possibility.

As far as the higher round count, we are intentionally trying to keep it low...we have a lot of shooters that are having a VERY difficult time getting ammo and/or components. That is why we have lowered the number of stages, number of rounds, and yes, our entry fee.

We have also opened it up to rimfire for those that want to shoot that to keep costs down.

Im not saying we need to shoot 250 rnds of rifle, more like 120 with several mandatory mag changes (two a stage) and at least 100 pistol rounds or so with mandatory mag changes (again at least two a stage).

I realize the ammo and component shortage is hurting people, me included, but the only reason I am suggesting these changes is for more of a challenging match by setting the bar high, but not to high.

-DM-

The rimfire class should help ease the problem of ammo availability. I have a n AR with a 22 LR upper that I am dying to try. I bought some Black Dog 26 round mags for it that actually hold the bolt open on the last shot.

We don't have scheduled definitely as of yet, but will have at least one, if not two more in the schedule...I will update as the dates become official...

Thanks to all who shot on Saturday....

M

Thanks to the pioneer guys for a fun match on Sat. Short, sweet, but lots of fun. If I didn't drop my damn mag on Stage 1 and forget a target in my haste, I would have been right on Jim's heals. grrrrr!!!!!!!

Jeff- I skipped the first target on stage one, too..."Spatula Head guy" in the first door...I was rushing and saw the black, so I skipped him...to make matters worse, I crouched a bit for some reason, so I didn't see the no shoot hands on the target behind him, so I plugged him twice in the head...at least my double tap was good!!!

We try to keep the matches to more of a half day venue...we have a large majority of shooters with families, and they just can't do an all day match every couple of weeks...we keep it short and sweet, and those that do want to shoot more, just run a second time, with or without the same gun....

What's an AAR? Also, no pics that I know of....

It was a good time...three stages...mid to low 20 rounds for each at a minimum...we had windows to shoot through, a fence to shoot through...some moving no shoots, and one stage where we had to shoot while balancing on a board...pretty neat stuff (I can say that as I didn't design any of the stages this time around).

I would love a 2 gun course, as I just set up my belt rig, and I am dying to use it. I also like the idea of more mag changes and higher round count. If I didn't have a family wedding this weekend, I would have been there. As long as work doesn't send me away, I will be at the next one!

Nope- not for this one. Occasional someone will design a stage that mandates them, either due to round count or mandate due to the course of fire.

This one did not. You were (obviously) allowed multiple mags if you needed them.

I shot my 10/22 with a 25 round magazine.

On one stage I needed extra shots, so I ended up grabbing a spare 10 rounder out of that for my last shot.

As far as planning, we try to make sure that no one string needs more than three mags to complete a stage.

We are pretty sure that we will be having a three gun match in September....I'll post a date when I get the "official" word...

^^you'll have your chance. Pioneer ran a 3gun match last (late)summer that was a TON of fun.

i was rather happy with my times, considering this was my first "tactical" rifle match (all i've been shooting is highpower recently).

probably would have helped if i had seen those "noshoot" hands on that swinger on stage 2 lol. 2 to the head. oh well. didnt help that my mag dropped out of the rifle on the first stage too. one of those "sh*tsh*tsh*t" moments as i dropped to retrieve my mag lol. at least i didnt get dinged on a procedural for dropping a loaded mag.

Back
Top Bottom