Talk About Recoil!

Simple physics says I would get tossed, and I'm doubtful it would have anything to do with stance or grip.
Actually, it has everything to do with "stance and grip". The last guy did OK.

The best one was the skinny guy in the red cap about 1/2 way through. He had what looked like about the bottom 1" of the buttstock braced against his collarbone. OUCH!

The .577 T-Rex is one powerful rifle. The gun they are using has no muzzle brake and the recoil is punishing to say the least. I don't know what they are using for a powder charge or bullet but judging from the fireball, its potent.
I'd be very concerned about permanent eye damage from a detached retina and also shoulder damage from firing something like that on a regular basis.

I've shoulder fired my State Arms .50BMG rifle (about 40 lbs) with a single square tank brake and butt pad on it using Talon ball ammo and even the single tank brake reduces the recoil alot. It feels like a harsh 12ga shotgun.
There are other/better brake designs(double/triple tank brakes, fish gill brakes) that reduce recoil on the .50BMG to almost nothing.

I have the whole series clips of those guys shooting that .577 T Rex and you can hear them all giggling like fools in the background, just waiting for the shooter to be knocked on his ass. What a job huh?

Actually, it has everything to do with "stance and grip". The last guy did OK.

The best one was the skinny guy in the red cap about 1/2 way through. He had what looked like about the bottom 1" of the buttstock braced against his collarbone. OUCH!

The last guy looked like he was my weight X two.

I don't feel like arguing.

You guys are heroes, elite shooters, without any proof they could shoot the same weapon without similar results.

Last edited:
All of the accuratereloading.com guys are hardcores. (the guys that
run the place, not the guys in the videos!) The .577 loads
that you see are likely at max load or even more.

They had like 20 something videos, most of them were with that gun... only
like three guys in the whole series could really control the thing. Theres also
a video of a guy shooting a .700 NE that handles it pretty well. The guy that
walks in afterwards is also rather SAUCED... lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0wOMKc7Xec&mode=related&search=

(video is mislabeled... the gun is really a 700NE... and I know this because I have
all the videos from about a year ago. )

-Mike

Last edited:
Damned dial-up...Punishment for living in the sticks...Will have to check it from T4 at work
tomorrow...Sounds like they're trying to shatter a shoulder. There's a vid of a guy shooting a .50BMG Thompson Contender somewhere, (probably on YouTube). Lucky he's not dead....

Last edited:
Doesn't one of these break the window when the gun goes flying? I could've sworn I've seen one of these with the window breaking.

Some of the reactions look faked / exaggerated to me. Won't say that I would do better or that I am certain they are playing it up however as I have never fired something that large from a standing position like that.

Damned dial-up...Punishment for living in the sticks...Will have to check it from T4 t
tomorrow...Sounds like they're trying to shatter a shoulder. There's a vid of a guy shooting a .50BMG Thompson Contender somewhere, (probably on YouTube). Lucky he's not dead....

The nuttiest pistol recoil video I've seen so far is this one... guy shooting a
.600 NE pistol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya7FiJc_NoU

-Mike

The nuttiest pistol recoil video I've seen so far is this one... guy shooting a
.600 NE pistol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya7FiJc_NoU

-Mike

Jesus...My father had a 600 Nitro - I never got to shoot it, as I was 10 when he sold it....Can't imagine what it would feel like - let alone a 600 Nitro pistol!! The biggest gun I ever bought was a Marlin .450 Guide Gun - picked it up at the Big E 2 years ago along with 2 boxes of shells. When I traded it in, it had 1 box of shells to go with it. The last thing I said, the last time I fired it, as the skin peeled off my knuckles jammed into that lever was: "I'm just getting too old for this shit".... Used it as a down payment for my Uzi Model B at Collectors Coin. If anyone's smart, that gun is still there... [wink]

That's some BFA
577tyranvs50bmg.jpg

Not a Single decent Off Hand Position amongst the lot of them, the last guy was holding tight and probably pulling into his shoulder as he should have been, as far as locked into position, still weak.

Did anyone notice how that little black chair kept finding it's way behind the shooters? Love how some of them lean back as opposed to into ... donkeys.

Doesn't one of these break the window when the gun goes flying? I could've sworn I've seen one of these with the window breaking.

We have the same memory. These guys used to have a really nice website with hunting videos too. Pretty amazing watching a Charging Bull African Elephant drop! [shocked]

Oh if you want to roll yer own, I found some load data for this bear!

http://www.accuratereloading.com/577tyr.html

Yarrrr

-Weer'd Beard

I remember finding the website these guys (I assume South Africans) had with a bunch of short clips of them doing various things at their ranch/kraal, including taking baths in an old tub outdoors and drinking beer on the porch. They had about 30 clips of these shots in their little “soundproof” room, a few white guys and a whole lot of Asians. The Asians, due to their smaller stature, did not fare too well. My favorite was where one poor guy completely lost control of the rifle and it cracked the door to the chamber and bent the frame so that a whole lot of pounding was required to free him.

I was under the impression that they were firing a rifle in .458 Lott, but perhaps it was a .577 T-Rex.

Back
Top Bottom