• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Talk to me about shotgun shells

It is not the "end all be all" ammo, but it does work well in a good selection of shotguns.

Each shotgun is its own "special snowflake" and a shootist should do their due diligence to make sure that their shotgun patterns well with a particular load.

Hornady Versatite has a shot cup similar to Flitecontrol and might pattern better in some guns.
King to me but not God lol. I haven’t tried the Hornady Versatite before but their sabots kill deer very well!

Last edited:
What are you suing for a choke? Maybe some aftermarket ones are needed. The chokes that came with my ATI O/U patterned like shit. Replaced em all with some Carlsons extended and things got better. Now all my shotguns each have a full set of Carlsons. They aren’t the best, but they’re better than factory.

The hardest part about skeet is making sure you keep the gun moving. Don’t stop when you pull the trigger.

What are you suing for a choke? Maybe some aftermarket ones are needed. The chokes that came with my ATI O/U patterned like shit. Replaced em all with some Carlsons extended and things got better. Now all my shotguns each have a full set of Carlsons. They aren’t the best, but they’re better than factory.

The hardest part about skeet is making sure you keep the gun moving. Don’t stop when you pull the trigger.
In bringing some cardboard tomorrow to pattern it. It's an improved cylinder

OP - if you want to get better, I'd seriously suggest that you find someone with some experience.

There are a lot if differences between shottie, and other types of shooting.

Based on your first post, OP, it seems as though you're new to shotgun....you can save a lot of ammo, and a lot of frustration if you have someone to act as sensei. One of the big differences is that with a rifle, or pistol, if you're low and to the right, you can make the appropriate adjustment, and get in the 10-ring. Since you either hit the clay, or not, when it's "not" it's hard to see for yourself what's off, especially at the start.

Best of luck, and good shooting.

Can I piggy back on your thread?

What do you guys like for home defense? I’ve always gone with 00, but have heard other suggestions as well.

Not my first pick of home defense but as an in case I keep 12 ga. 3"shells 00 with a Remington 870. The shotgun is a super mag and can use 3.5". Though it already had two barrels (one rifle sighted rifled barrel, one bead sight rem choked smooth bore in 3.5") I bought two extras Remington barrels, one of which is on it. I wanted it shorter length wise and to be able to zero(ish) my pattern. Both of the later barrels are 3" chambering's, 18.5" with rifle sights. The difference between them is one (the mounted one) has a fixed improved choke cylinder. The second has the rem choke system. At the time, the fixed cylinder was sort of inexpensive, the choked system was double that. I have other shotguns but that would be the one I'd grab first if a shotgun was warranted.

I had a similar experience as the OP. Found out the hard way that 12 gauge 2 3/4 inch #5s out of a modified choke is not an appropriate combination for a cottontail rabbit at 10 yards. Now I know.
According to stories my grandpa popped a bunny with a 30-06 he did not eat it lol

Something to consider is the loudness of these magnum rounds. Shooting them in your home without hearing protection is very likely to cause permanent hearing loss for you and everyone else in the room.

Something to consider is the loudness of these magnum rounds. Shooting them in your home without hearing protection is very likely to cause permanent hearing loss for you and everyone else in the room.
Huh? Speak up. I already have horrible tinnitus thanks to cheap army ear plugs and an @hole that flash banged us for the lulz.

I’m hoping that if I have to shotgun a home invader it will only be one round.

If they keep coming after a blast or 2 of 3" 00 buck its scorched earth time.

Back
Top Bottom