• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Talk to me about Japanese Arisaka Type 99 WWII rifles

Rockrivr1

NES Member
As I go through my World War collection I’m well represented with US, British, Russian and German firearms. What I’m missing is something from Japan. But, that may soon change. I’ve been offered a Japanese Arisaka Type 99 Nagoya rifle w/ intact Mum for a really good price. It also comes with 7.7 Jap ammo.

Thing is I have no knowledge of these rifles. Are they any good? From online reviews they are but wondering if anyone has any experience with them. So what’s your thought on them? Anything I should be aware of?

I know enough to know I don’t know enough to advise you.

These rifles had several “generations” characterized by features that were added or (more commonly) deleted to simplify production as Japan lost industrial capacity. So an early war model will have nifty things like antiaircraft sights, which were deleted later.

I do know they’re supposed to have two-piece buttstocks, usually with a very poor grain match. So if the buttstock looks cheap, it’s probably correct. Fake mums are a thing too, sometimes very skillfully done.

With the exception of the "last ditch" Jap rifles, the Arisakas are regarded as the strongest bolt action rifles used during WWII.
If that is what you considered any good.

If you can get one with original monopod, aircraft sight wings, and intact Mum, you've got a very collectable rifle.

Ammo is hard to find, but you can make brass from .3006 brass and it works fine.
Overall finish isn't as nice as a Springfield, but early ones have chrome lines barrels.
Like all milsurps, it's only going to go up in price. If you've got a good one at a good price, get it!

I was lucky enough to inherit my grandfather’s 99 he brought back, complete with bayonet.

Bullseye has ammo usually in stock, but pricey. I am just the caretaker for now until it gets passed on. We don't shoot it much at all, mum is ground and no aircraft sights but its a part of our family.

If you can get one with original monopod, aircraft sight wings, and intact Mum, you've got a very collectable rifle.

It does come with the aircraft sight, intact mum and a plate underneath where the monopod mounted. Doesn’t have the actual monopod though. Seems in really good shape otherwise. Typical dings and small dents in the wood typical of any WWII rifle.

You're smart going with the 99, as 7.7x58mm can be made from .30-06, .270 Winchester and .280 Remington brass (probably a few others). The 6.5x50mm is rather unique (.220 Swift might be convertible...?). Enjoy your rifle with cast loads, as well as standard full-power loads.

OP had a page whine about how he's not going to reload. But presumably Fiochhi or someone still makes that for $1 a round or something.

I started out 40 years ago buying one for $50. Shot the crap out of it. They are fine rifles and don’t deserve the negativity. Other than checking for obvious damage, check the headspace. If you have a matching bolt that is super rare.

I got one gifted to me as a kid (by an uncle). Stupidly I sold it, but kept the bayonet

I was on a hunt most of my adult life for another.

I scored big time from a very well known NES member.

I got one with all the accessories, dust cover, monopod, sling (which is now solid plastic) airplane sights, cleaning rod, muzzle cover, intact mum.

I’m ecstatic that I have the above,

I was a little shit for selling it. Regreted it. Took years to find a good example. Sorry uncle!!

I’ve found ammo 7.7 Jap for $2 a round remaufactured and a bit more for new Norma ammo

I shot a few rounds through it 2 years ago.

Get one. Cool gun. IMG_8584.png

OP had a page whine about how he's not going to reload. But presumably Fiochhi or someone still makes that for $1 a round or something.
Whine? More like stating the obvious. It’s safer for myself and others around me if I don’t reload. What’s the saying “A man has got to know his limitations.” At least I know it and willing to admit it.

On the lucky side the rifle will come with ammo.

I got one gifted to me as a kid (by an uncle). Stupidly I sold it, but kept the bayonet

I was on a hunt most of my adult life for another.

I scored big time from a very well known NES member.

I got one with all the accessories, dust cover, monopod, sling (which is now solid plastic) airplane sights, cleaning rod, muzzle cover, intact mum.

I’m ecstatic that I have the above,

I was a little shit for selling it. Regreted it. Took years to find a good example. Sorry uncle!!

I’ve found ammo 7.7 Jap for $2 a round remaufactured and a bit more for new Norma ammo

I shot a few rounds through it 2 years ago.

Get one. Cool gun.View attachment 857180

Very nice! I’ve been looking online at slings and it’s near impossible to find an original. Guess they didn’t make it for the most part. Though getting a bayonet and barrel cap is possible no luck with a monopod.

Very nice! I’ve been looking online at slings and it’s near impossible to find an original. Guess they didn’t make it for the most part. Though getting a bayonet and barrel cap is possible no luck with a monopod.
The sling somehow turned to plastic over the years. Weird. I have no explanation.

I consider myself extremely lucky to have what I have.

Here is a pic of the bayonet without the scabbard.

IMG_8586.jpeg

With the exception of the "last ditch" Jap rifles, the Arisakas are regarded as the strongest bolt action rifles used during WWII.
If that is what you considered any good.

I got one with the sights, no monopod, obliterated mum. It's filthy, rusty, but solid, and the action is smooth.

Type 99 is plus with a intact mum. Most of the time the soldiers would remove the dust cover,and the monopod.

Type 99 is plus with a intact mum. Most of the time the soldiers would remove the dust cover,and the monopod.

Yup. The dust cover was loud. So that was usually tossed.

No idea why the monopod and the airplane sights would be tossed.

The mum was ground off to appease the Japanese emperor.

Yup. The dust cover was loud. So that was usually tossed.

No idea why the monopod and the airplane sights would be tossed.

The mum was ground off to appease the Japanese emperor.

I wouldn't want a monopod on my rifle if I was humping it. I'd have taken it off.

But then again, I'm a guy who dislikes slings and removed the folding bayonet from my SKS.

There's conflicting info about why the mums were ground, but if I ever wanted an Arisaka? I'd want an obliterated mum. I like the history, whatever it is.

I wouldn't want a monopod on my rifle if I was humping it. I'd have taken it off.

But then again, I'm a guy who dislikes slings and removed the folding bayonet from my SKS.

There's conflicting info about why the mums were ground, but if I ever wanted an Arisaka? I'd want an obliterated mum. I like the history, whatever it is.
The monopod was basically a fancy coat hanger. Added no weight. Might have just gotten in the way

My understanding is the emperor did not want the symbol of them to be given away to the enemy even in surrender.

The monopod was basically a fancy coat hanger. Added no weight. Might have just gotten in the way

My understanding is the emperor did not want the symbol of them to be given away to the enemy even in surrender.

For me, it's not about weight. It's about rattle, getting snagged, and interfering with my support hand. I just don't like stuff folded onto or into a handguard, generally. I took off my G1 bipod back when I had one of those, too.

I've heard the same thing and more about the mums. I think it's more interesting when they're defaced, personally.

For me, it's not about weight. It's about rattle, getting snagged, and interfering with my support hand. I just don't like stuff folded onto or into a handguard, generally. I took off my G1 bipod back when I had one of those, too.

I've heard the same thing and more about the mums. I think it's more interesting when they're defaced, personally.
The dust cover was absolutely tossed due to rattle.

My original gifted one had a ground mum.

The Japanese soldier was a simple person who like to travel light,
he would remove anything that was not functionally useful for
his needs. Like many time you will see a bayonet with out the
scabbard,because the soldier will mount the bayonet on the
rifle and leave it there.The scabbard would not be needed so it would be tossed.

The Japanese soldier was a simple person who like to travel light,
he would remove anything that was not functionally useful for
his needs. Like many time you will see a bayonet with out the
scabbard,because the soldier will mount the bayonet on the
rifle and leave it there.The scabbard would not be needed so it would be tossed.
The gun was pretty heavy and long for short people…

Not an insult, just an observation.

As a kid I was always cognizant of the weight and length.

I have one and like it. It has good sights but the length of pull is a bit short. It's a very strong Mauser but pretty ugly. Since you don't reload, ammo may be a bit expensive. The aircraft sights were so you could lead a plane. I can't imagine shooting a bolt action rifle at a fighter plane equipped with several 50 caliber machineguns.

Military Rifles of Japan by Fred Hunnicut and F. Patt Anthony covers quite a lot of ground on the subject and has photos of the different types, production series and variants. And there are several other less expensive books out there. Might want to see if yours has matching assembly numbers. Numbers are on bayonet lug, bolt, extractor, firing pin, dust cover. etc. They spent more time stamping numbers on their rifles than polishing. Numbers may or may not match last three of s/n depending on manufacturer.

Only thing I know about them is one removed a testicle and a large chunk of flesh off my grandfather's thigh while he was a forward artillery observer on Okinawa.

Went on to have 4 more kids with one nut.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom