Tewksbury Rod and Gun Club

daveshrews

NES Member
I am thinking of joining Tewksbury Rod and Gun Club, and wondered if there were any NES'ers who shoot there regularly? I am currently a member of Mass Rifle in Woburn, but don't get there too often because it's a little far away for me, and Tewks is literally right around the corner. I mostly shoot pistols, not rifles or trap.

Would you recommend this club? Is the indoor range generally clean and in working order? How crowded is it on weekdays / weekends? Do they ever have action shooting / special events? Anything else I should know before giving them a couple hundred bucks?

Thanks in advance.
Dave

I'm a member there, I generally shoot during the day on weekdays, I'm usually the only one there. They have some events I don't participte due to my schedule but I enjoy the range. People are always pleasant and tend to mind there own buisness but always willing to chat.

I became a NRA Range Safety Officer, by getting their $20 class by mail, completing the material on Saturday afternoon and waiting a couple of weeks for my results

There is [may] be a difference between a Range Officer (RO) and Range Safety Officer (RSO)

The club in question may have specific criteria for what their RO can do, and may not require "formal" RSO credentials.

At my club, my son often runs a Trap field. He's 12, and has been doing it for two years. I told him, 'When you're in the chair you are a Range Officer. If shooters don't follow your instructions, let me know and I'll back you up. If you are in error, I'll take the heat." (I'm the Trap Chairman)

For this case, formal NRA RSO credentials are not especially useful, as mostly they pertain to a rifle/pistol range.

My point is that while RSO credentials are useful, I'd see if that grants you RO status before you join.

i'm a member there, just renewed for another year.

indoor range is very clean and functional. not state of the art (IE motorized target lanes) they just have hand crank on cable target hangers, but they all work and the club is good at repairing any broken ones.

RO presence is for outdoor rifle and trap ranges. I don't know of many outdoor ranges at any club that you can use without supervision. Indoor doesn't require one. you can anytime within in posted times (check the website)

Members are all friendly, and willing to help. i can't speak for use on the weekends but weekday afternoon and evening are pretty much dead.

hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom