The 3 amigas go to the Lady Smith Match

kimmie1911

NES Member
Hi all - Me (Donna), Evelyn and Jackie had the opportunity to attend the Smith and Wesson sponsored Lady Smith Match a couple of weeks ago. It was held at the home range of Kay and Jerry Miculek in Shreveport, Louisianna. What a great match and what a great prize table set up by Smith and Wesson. I lost count of the number of guns that were awarded, along with a ton of other great 'stuff' like range bags and holsters and hats. It was the experience of a life time for us, getting to rub shoulders and learn from some of the top women shooters in the world! Lisa Munson, Kay Miculek, Judy Woolley, Sheila Brey, Athena Lee, to name just a few! Jackie was in 7th heaven because Jerry gave her and her revolver some special attention. And even though none of us placed first, I think we represented Massachusetts righteously! The day after the match, we were invited to attend an advanced class with the same ladies!

To top it all off, we even got 15 minutes of fame! Our plane blew a tire on takeoff from Logan. I felt it when it happened, the plane shook like crazy, (said a couple of prayers) but didn't know what the problem was and no one said anything. They didn't tell us until we made a diverted landing in Tupelo, Mississippi and were met by a runway full of fire engines and ambulances. And the press! See the story below. Of course, they misspelled my last name because of my Bahston accent. Oh well.

I'll be happy to sign autographs at the next match!

I took the picture after we got off the plane.

Donna

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Plane makes emergency landing at Tupelo airport
4/4/2008 6:19:33 AM
Daily Journal

BY DANZA JOHNSON
Daily Journal

TUPELO - Nearly 40 passengers heading to Memphis from Boston got an unexpected taste of Elvis Country on Thursday.

The 37 passengers on Northwest Flight 5737 sat through an emergency landing in Tupelo because of a blown tire on the landing gear. Because of bad weather in Memphis, the plane and four others had to make Tupelo its landing destination. The planes started coming in just before 1 p.m.

According to Tupelo Regional Airport Executive Director Terry Anderson, one of the plane's four tires on the landing gear blew out, possibly during takeoff from Boston.

The plane landed in Tupelo without a problem.

Despite being held up more than an hour in a town they'd only heard of when spoken in the same sentence as Elvis, Boston natives Jacqueline Scott and Donna Majoi seemed to be more intrigued than annoyed by their new and unfamiliar surroundings.

Scott said takeoff did seem shakier than usual, but she just ignored it.

"We didn't know anything was wrong," said Scott. "They said we were landing because of weather, but before we landed we saw all these fire trucks and police cars and we didn't know what was going on. I'm glad they didn't tell us because I would have been freaking out."

Scott and Majoi were headed to Shreveport, La., to participate in the Lady Smith Match Gun Shooting Competition.

Even though she was grounded in Tupelo with no timeline as to when she'd be able to leave, Scott's attention was more on the local cuisine than on the flat tire.

"What's the local dish in Tupelo?" she asked. After being told fried catfish was a local favorite, Scott gave a reply that only a non-Mississipian could have given.

"Catfish? I've never had catfish, but it sounds good. Maybe I'll try some if I ever get to Shreveport."

Some of the passengers on the plane made plans to drive to Memphis and take a flight from there. An employee at Hertz said they had about 10 car rentals in a 15-minute time span from passengers from the delayed flight.

Contact Danza Johnson at 678-1583 or [email protected].

IMG_3199.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Neat story! Glad you ladies had a good time at the shoot; and I'm especially glad you had a safe trip in spite of the tire!

Dear Ms. Majoi, ... Majuh ... Majah ... Mojo,

Great to hear that you had a good trip down to the Clarks'; although how could it not be good? You certainly got to shoot with the top guns of the game. Maybe you can show us a few tricks of the trade that you learned.

Dan - Hey - I like that - Ms. Mojo - maybe I can work some mojo at the upcoming Area 7!!!!!!!

One of the tricks I learned was 'front sight' - oh, I forgot - that's not a trick - it's what I'm supposed to be doing all the time anyway!!!!!!!! That's what the problem was!!!!!

Seriously though - we did learn a lot - and watching those ladies shoot was an experience I'll never forget!!!!!! Wow.

Back
Top Bottom