The .45 Bushmaster Rifle

With what little information I can find, I looks as though you can convert most current 30rnd to accept this by changing the follower thus creating a 9 rnd magazine. No need to buy special magazines or adapters. From looking at the size of the cartridge, I bet it's going to kick like a mule.

I wonder if one will be able to make one of these just be switching uppers and possibly the buffer and spring.

Some info I dug up,

http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/news.msnw

Bushmaster Announces New Rifle/Cartridge

Bushmaster will be producing a new .45 caliber AR style rifle in the fall of 2006. The new cartridge, the .45 Bushmaster, will fit in a standard magazine. A standard 30 round AR-15 magazine with a new single feed follower will hold nine (9) of these 'big bore' rounds. Hornady will be producing ammo in this new caliber.

http://www.saysuncle.com/archives/2006/08/07/45_bushmaster/
The .45 Bushmaster - big bore power in an “AR” platform - one gun industry writer exclaimed… “I’ve found my new hog-hunting gun!” This powerful cartridge - developed in affiliation with Hornady - is tamed by the AR type gas operating system so that recoil is reduced to a heavy thump, and second shot control is retained. Standard AR type 30 round magazines are fitted with a blue single stack follower to yield a full magazine capacity of nine rounds.

I'll pass.

Proprietary ammo that will be difficult to find (and it'll be expensive).

Small/limited crowd that it'll appeal to.

Doubtful that many other firearms manufacturer will offer their products in that chambering.

I imagine someone will produce reloading dies for it, but then there'll be the eventual problem of finding unfired/newly manufactured brass for it.

If Bushmaster does start producing them, expect to see them at bargain prices on the various gun auction sites and for sale boards within a year or two.

I'm just guessing but, this is probably the brainchild or marketing gimmick created by the new owners.

Wasn't all that long ago that Bushmaster (after many requests), manufactured an AR-15 chambered in .308 and it failed to meet sales expectations (it was subsequently dropped).

Wasn't all that long ago that Bushmaster (after many requests), manufactured an AR-15 chambered in .308 and it failed to meet sales expectations (it was subsequently dropped).

I don't disagree with most of what you said but I don't recall an AR15 chambered in .308. I do however remember the BAR-10 which uses a totally different receiver. Pretty much a bigger AR-15.

I am not positive, but It looks as this .45 may use a current AR-15 receiver.

I don't disagree with most of what you said but I don't recall an AR15 chambered in .308. I do however remember the BAR-10 which uses a totally different receiver. Pretty much a bigger AR-15.

I am not positive, but It looks as this .45 may use a current AR-15 receiver.

It was a AR-10 type rifle.

Other option is a .300 Whisper from J.D. Jones. My understanding is that they will shoot MOA out to 300Yds with 240Gr. Sierra Matchkings. Brass is .221 Fireball.
B

It's not a necked round, right? You should be able to just use standard .45 dies, right? It's no different than .357 and .38? You just raise the seating to extend the length of the cartridge...

At least that's how it looks to me.

I think that I would get one of these...they just look like fun.

It's not a necked round, right? You should be able to just use standard .45 dies, right? It's no different than .357 and .38? You just raise the seating to extend the length of the cartridge...

At least that's how it looks to me.

Judging from the photo, that looks like an awful lot of resizing length difference.

What's the difference between .38 Special and .357 mag? About an 1/8" or so?

Back
Top Bottom