the dumbest reloading question ever

Seriously, I think this might be the dumbest reloading oriented question ever. scented or unscented dryer sheets? Does it matter if they are scented? Fiancee bought scented ones instead of unscented this time around.

Seriously, I think this might be the dumbest reloading oriented question ever. scented or unscented dryer sheets? Does it matter if they are scented? Fiancee bought scented ones instead of unscented this time around.

It doesn't matter. I use Outdoor Fresh Scent.

Remember, there is only one dumb question and that's the one not asked.

I'm certain it doesn't matter in the slightest if they are scented or not, other than pure personal preference. Also, are you using new dryer sheets, or used ones? I only use used sheets and they seem to work just fine at controlling the dust and crud in the media. Beyond that, since they're used, most of the chemical treatment is gone so the scented/unscented issue becomes null.

I say go with used. Same results and you'll save a bit of money in dryer sheets. Or you can try using the tumbled dryer sheets in your laundry....but I've been known to have bad ideas before, so run that one by your fiancee first. However, if you take a new dryer sheet and rubber band it around your powder hopper, it really helps control the static and allow the powder to meter better.

When I first started tumbling brass I used new sheets. I didn't like the results so I tried used sheets. The used sheets worked better and collected alot more gunk than new sheets. Just my .02.......

You don't need dryer sheets. Here's the $500 tip of the day:

To get the absolutely brightest and shiniest brass you could ever imagine......

Use crushed walnut shells (don't waste your money on corn cob bits, they are too soft for most serious polishing). Get them in 20 pound bags from the Pet Supply Place of your choice. They sell this stuff as bedding for reptiles.

Place an appropriate amount of this crushed walnut shell media in your tumbler, and add the following:
1 capful (capful, not cupful) of NuFinish liquid Car Wax - orange bottle, not all that expensive from the auto parts place of your choice, WallyMart, or where ever....
2 capfuls (capfull, not cupful) of Mineral Spirits (paint thinner) or kerosene.

Allow that to tumble for about 1/2 hour before adding brass.

That mixture is "moist" enough that you won't get any dust, or static charge.

The mineral spirits or kerosene cuts through the oxidation and powder residue and other gunk that's on the brass. The NuFinish adds an amazing shine to virtually any brass you process.

I run that mix, adding additional mineral spirits as I need it, to maintain the "moistness" until the walnut shells are very dark and grimy. Usually, any sand, dirt, and other natural abrasive stuff overwhelms the process before the walnut shells get too black, so that's when I change it out. I never actually TOSS the old stuff away. I use that to do the darkest and most oxidized brass (two hours at the most!) in the old stuff, an then switch to fresh media for the final polish.

I got this recipe from some old timers, with the refinement of the NuFinish, which I saw on some reloading site a while back.

If the brass is fresh shot, then 2 hours is about all you'll need to tumble using this mix.

If it's nasty brass that has sat outside in the rain on the ground for over a year (about the worst you could imagine), two hours in some old media, and then switch over to fresh media, and do an overnight. Comes out amazing in the morning.

That's how I do it. I leave the smelly sheets for the laundry.

BTW, when it comes to reloading.... there are no "dumb" questions.....

Last edited:
I don't even bother cutting them, just rip them into a few pieces. The Nu-Finish definitely works, though I've never tried cutting it with spirits or anything. That would likely help to mix it better. I'll give it a shot tomorrow and see how it works. +1 to Duke for the suggestion.

This clearly is not a dumb question at all. The dumbest reloading question would be something like "I double charged about fifty rounds do you think I should still use them?"

My .02, as has been stated already is, it won't matter. And +1 on the walnut shells. Although I get mine from my walnuts. :) Wife uses them for face scrubs too.

I'm allergic to walnuts.

You'll find me dead, swollen, red and naked next to my tumbler
Is that your way of telling us you reload in the nude?[laugh] This is how I tumble. I use walnut from the pet store. When it's new I add 2 cap fulls of Nu Finish car polish and let tumble for 5 minutes. Then I add the brass and cut up used dryer sheet. I found a paper towel will work almost as good. I tumble for 2 hours and the cases come out looking like new. After the first time I only use 1/2 cap full of Nu Finish every batch until I throw it away and start with new media again.
Rusty

i posted that yesterday in responce to another members question about reloading. the nupro does leave a good shine to the brass.

Use crushed walnut shells (don't waste your money on corn cob bits, they are too soft for most serious polishing). Get them in 20 pound bags from the Pet Supply Place of your choice. They sell this stuff as bedding for reptiles.

Place an appropriate amount of this crushed walnut shell media in your tumbler, and add the following:
1 capful (capful, not cupful) of NuFinish liquid Car Wax - orange bottle, not all that expensive from the auto parts place of your choice, WallyMart, or where ever....
2 capfuls (capfull, not cupful) of Mineral Spirits (paint thinner) or kerosene.

Allow that to tumble for about 1/2 hour before adding brass.

That mixture is "moist" enough that you won't get any dust, or static charge.

The mineral spirits or kerosene cuts through the oxidation and powder residue and other gunk that's on the brass. The NuFinish adds an amazing shine to virtually any brass you process.

+1 on the pet store walnut. Far cheaper and WAY better.

and thanks for the other tips about the mineral water and polish.

I say go with used. Same results and you'll save a bit of money in dryer sheets.

+1 Go with used. It's not even about money...used does a better job IMO

if you take a new dryer sheet and rubber band it around your powder hopper, it really helps control the static and allow the powder to meter better.

No kidding?!?! I'll have to try that!! Thanks!!

Don't use new fabric softener sheets. Ever. They have, well... fabric softener in them.

The only reason to use (USED) sheets is to help keep your media cleaner for longer. The sheets get crapped up and you throw them away. Any crap on the sheets is crap kept out of your media. New sheets don't absorb any crap, the used ones absorb a lot.

Those of you that buy walnut at pet stores thinking you got a good deal have not yet discovered the 50# bags of corn cob that sandblast supply houses sell for $25. It lasts longer and does a better job of cleaning too.

I tried the pet store walnut and found it to be very dusty and not nearly as effective as the dedicated tumbler media. I do use Nufinish with great results. Have to try the bulk blasting corn cob.

Ok, then even dumber. WTF are you doing with dryer sheets?

The dryer sheets help keep the dust down and helps keep the media clean.

So you cut up the dryer sheets and toss them in the media while tumbling?

I'll be trying that walnut recipe when I get my tumbler too.

I just throw in whole sheets, and change them evry tumbler load.

I tried the pet store walnut and found it to be very dusty and not nearly as effective as the dedicated tumbler media. I do use Nufinish with great results. Have to try the bulk blasting corn cob.

I, too, have tried pet sotre stuff and found it too dusty.

My 50/50 mix of Lyman Treated Corn Cob and cornblast works really well.

Back
Top Bottom