• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

The FAA Air Marshall Qualification Drill

JimConway

Instructor
FAA Air Marshall Qualification Pistol Drill
Anyone who shoots on a regular basis knows that these are extremely difficult standards to meet. WARNING: most
shooting facilities are not set up to accommodate this test. Stage 5 requires shooting across lanes at a standardlayout
range and is generally prohibited by management, and stage 6 requires special facilities not available at most
commercial ranges.

Drill Number - Repetitions-Starting Position-Total seconds-Total shots
for all shots fired
1. One round -2 Times - From concealment - 3.30 Seconds = 2 shots
2. Double tap - 2 Times - Low ready - 2.70 seconds = 4 Shots
3. Six rounds at single target - 1 Time - Low ready -3.00 seconds = 6
4. One shot, reload, one shot - 2 Times - Low ready -6.50 sec = 4
5. One round at two targets -2 Times - Low ready = 3.30 sec = 4
three yards apart
6. 180° pivot: one shot at three targets - 2 times- From concealment -7.00 seconds = 6 shots
left, center and right
7. One round, slide locks back - 2 times - Low ready - 8.00 sec = 4
drop to one knee, reload,
one additional shot
1. This stage is fired twice, from concealment each time. Total time for both shots cannot exceed 3.30 seconds,
e.g., if first shot takes 2.00, second shot must be fired in 1.30 or less.
2. Two shots are fired starting from low ready, cease fire, then two more from low ready, for
a total of four shots. Each string of two must be achieved (on average) in 1.35 seconds.
3. All six shots should be fired with no more than 0.60 seconds between shots.
4. Both sets of two shots must occur in 6.50 seconds or less (3.25 for each pair on average).
5. This stage is fired twice, an average of 1.65 seconds for each pair of shots.
6. This stage cannot be fired at most commercial ranges.
7. A single round is loaded into the first magazine, causing the slide to lock back after firing, after which the shooter
drops to one knee while reloading to fire a second round, in an average of four seconds for both shots. The stage
is shot twice.
ACCURACY: A total of 30 shots are fired from seven yards at an FBI “QIT” bottle-shaped target, pictured above, in a
combined total of 33.8 seconds. Shots inside the bottle score 5, on the line or outside score 2, for a maximum
possible score of 150. Minimum to qualify is 135, and all stages must be successfully shot to qualify. Air Marshals
must be U.S. citizens capable of top secret clearance and under 37 years of age. “If you don’t qualify, you don’t fly.”
Thanks to the Virginia Shooting Sports Association for the basic information in this report.
(Info confirmed with other web sources) Learn more about VSSA at http://www.vssa.org.
Permission to circulate granted
gunlaws.com

The test

First they dumb down our schools and then they have air Marshalls qualify on a easy test. I hope that one of these guys never has to defend me on my flight.

BTW, this is the original test and I understand that it has recently been made easier

Easy

It is easy because the target area is large and the times generous. Remember that the distance is only 7 yards.
I am 100% sure that any of the guys that are going on the Front Sight trip couls pass it with out breaking a sweat after completing the Front 4 day course. The Frontsight test is from 3 to 25 yards and the times much shorted.

I will go even further and state that ALL of our students with 4 days of our training could pass, without any problem

Jim: I was at a training meeting last week with the FAM. While they did not get into their firearms quals in detail, they did state that the min passing score was 280, and that in the Boston office score in the 290's were the norm for experienced agents. They shoot this course every 3 months. These scores do not match the posted link, so I wonder if the qual course has changed.

The marshal did state that the FAM had the highest firearms standards in Federal Law Enforcement.

Drill

It is my understanding that the drill that I posted was their original drill. I have been told that the drill or the passing standards have been relaxed. I have shot with a number of FAMs and was not awfully impressed. However that ws not very important because they were very impressed with themselves.

Just as an aside about 4 years ago we had 2 LEOs at a front Sight class. Their attitude was the they were pros and we were merely civilains. This line on conversation went on for all 4 days until we shot the man - on - man drill. They both flamed out on the first shot.

I know of a couple folks in the Federal Air Marshal service whose skills with firearms go well beyond excellent. Although I can only speculate, I suspect that their ability to prove and document a high level of skill helped them get selected (and by "skill", I'm not referring to a long resume of big name schools they attended but the ability to shoot well and prove it).

I have shot with a number of FAMs and was not awfully impressed.---JimConway
Like you Jim, I don’t hand out shooting accolades based on ones job (not that my accolades would mean anything), but of the four Federal Air Marshals I’ve known (very superficially), all of them were very good USPSA shooters (by my standards anyway).

Of all the LEO types I’ve seen qualify/practice/compete, the Postal Inspectors were the best as a whole, but the limited number of Federal Air Marshals I’ve seen shoot were the best shooters individually.

Respectfully,

jkelly

Of all the LEO types I’ve seen qualify/practice/compete, the Postal Inspectors were the best as a whole,

There's a "going postal" joke in here somewhere.

I've rarely had the opportunity to see LEOs shooting, but I would think that federal officers would be more well trained than the average city/state cop.

I know of a couple folks in the Federal Air Marshal service whose skills with firearms go well beyond excellent. Although I can only speculate, I suspect that their ability to prove and document a high level of skill helped them get selected (and by "skill", I'm not referring to a long resume of big name schools they attended but the ability to shoot well and prove it).

That is very refreshing to hear.

B

Personally, I think the qual Jim posted is fairly easy. I have done it myself about a 1/2 dozen times and cleaned it each time.
Not bragging, but it is definitely easier than the FBI quals from the mid eighties.

When the FAM first started to ramp up after 9/11, they want real shooters, as in military Special Forces. If you were not SF, you were not given a second look.

What started to happen was this. Take a young, strong, motivated warrior, put him on a plane 8-12 hours a day, no reading, no naps, no movies or music and constantly in Condition Orange or Red, and soon he is burned out.

Then tell him that since you live in Boston, but your last flight of the week leaves you in San Diego, you have to stay in SD (at your own expense) or pay to fly home for the weekend.

SF types started to leave the FAM in droves. Six figure job offers overseas claimed even more.

When the attrition started, the lower selections started to get called. Local and State cops went to the job for the prestige.
I know one local cop who got hired. He freely admitted to me that the only way he got on was through his wife's family connections.

I have shot with this guy for years. Both before and after he join the FAM. If I was ever on a plane with him and TSHTF, I would knock him out and take his gun and handle the problem myself. That is how much I respect his shooting!

So, now we have Air Marshalls who got the job through political means. The true warriors are gone or disgruntled.

When you have no load political hacks who have to meet stringent qualifications and they can't, what do you do? You lower the standards and teach to the lowest common denominator.

I have seen this happen with police, sheriff's and state corrections.

Feel safe flying now?

I'm a USPSA shooter and these drills would be simple to complete. Any D level or above USPSA shooter would be able to complete these drills. As Rob Boudrie mentioned that a few of the guys we shot with are now Marshalls and some are VERY skilled with firearms. I'm a firm believer in getting proper instruction but getting to the range and shooting correctly is more important.

Thanks Big Daddy for the background. Your version agrees with mine almost 100%.
The last time that I shot it, my score was 146 because I had 2 leaners (2 on the line)

So, now we have Air Marshalls who got the job through political means. The true warriors are gone or disgruntled.
I know of two FAMs who got the job without "political means", and without any history of police or military work. In both cases they were young, fit, and had enough documented handgun shooting skill as to be distinctly different from the average gun owner. I don't know if the shooting skill was considered when hiring them, however, it is an interesting datapoint.

Where do you shoot this kind of course? I haven't shot at anything but bulls-eye targets.

Oh, and the car shoot.

Where do you shoot this kind of course? I haven't shot at anything but bulls-eye targets.

Oh, and the car shoot.

We do this type of shooting ALL the time at several different ranges. Check out www.uspsa.com. We do practice nights every Wed. night at the Harvard Sportsmens Club and have several matches a month. It's much more dynamic than bullseye shooting. Nothing like shooting on the move and figuring out the best tactics to complete a stage. Come check it out!!!

Their attitude was the they were pros and we were merely civilains. This line on conversation went on for all 4 days until we shot the man - on - man drill. They both flamed out on the first shot.---Jim Conway
Is that the three shot (one to the head and two to the body) man-on-man competition, or some other?

Respectfully,

jkelly

We do this type of shooting ALL the time at several different ranges. Check out www.uspsa.com. We do practice nights every Wed. night at the Harvard Sportsmens Club and have several matches a month. It's much more dynamic than bullseye shooting. Nothing like shooting on the move and figuring out the best tactics to complete a stage. Come check it out!!!

I might have to. School takes up more than most of my time but USPSA sounds interesting.

If this is their standard of excellence, God help us in the air.........---jose
As Rob B. said, this is a small data point, but the one guy I use to shoot/talk with the most would practice on 3”x5” cards at 25 yards. The other three were much better shooters then almost all LEOs, LEO trainers and Non-LEO type shooters I’ve seen.

While I’m sure this level of expertise is not representative of the Air Marshals as a whole, I would guess that when unarmed and “under the protection” of an Air Marshal, that we are being given about the highest level of “protection” commonly afforded we “normal” civilians.

jkelly

Man on Man Drill at Front Sight

At Frontsight this drill is run on the fourth day. Basically, your handgun class shoots the drill until there is one winner. then the winner shoots against the winner of the other handgun classes and finally the handgun winner shoot against the winner of the shotgun classes. It is a lot of stress and even more fun.
The drill is run as follows:
The 2 shooters stand side by side and shoot 2 identical, mirror image steel plate arrays. The first shot is a head shot on a hostage target and the next two are falling steel plates. If anyone hits the hostage, they are obligated to set up the falling steel for all of the other shooters. BYT, that steel gets very hot in the desert sun
The first target is the hostage target at about 7 yards. The BG part that you must hit ia about 3" x6"
The last 2 targets are at 15 yards and are stee droppers about the size of a full size pepper popper

Last edited:
Jim,
That sounds like fun, how big are the plates, how many plates are there and at what distance?

Respectfully,

jkelly

As Rob B. said, this is a small data point, but the one guy I use to shoot/talk with the most would practice on 3”x5” cards at 25 yards. The other three were much better shooters then almost all LEOs, LEO trainers and Non-LEO type shooters I’ve seen
That's not one small data point. It is presumably the standard that FAMs are held to. Bully for them if many prefer to exceed it by a large margin, but the fact remains that if indeed the posted stadards are the FAM service minimums, then they are sorely lacking.

I would guess that when unarmed and “under the protection” of an Air Marshal, that we are being given about the highest level of “protection” commonly afforded we “normal” civilians.
You say based on the small sample of Marshalls you know. I disagree based on their minimum qualification standards.

You say based on the small sample of Marshalls you know. I disagree based on their minimum qualification standards.
Jkelly stated that this was "about the highest level of “protection” commonly afforded we “normal” civilians.". Since you disagree, what would you suggest is the highest level of protection commonly afforded normal civilians?

Back
Top Bottom