• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

The FAA Air Marshall Qualification Drill

Scott
You do not understand that these contestants are trained professionals with very high ethical standards. To have the event at the budweiser plant would be akin to them taking steroids. We must always strive to maintain the highest standards.

Hello all. I was Googling some stuff and this thread popped up. Read it and thought I might clear up a few things. Joined to do so, and I hope I don't offend in this regard.

I am a FAM, for what it's worth. Have been since early 2002. Was in the USBP and local cop prior. Going on my second decade on the job. Now that the "I love me" BS info is out there, maybe I can shed some light on a few things about the job and the quals. Just FYI - FAMS is Federal Air Marshal Service whereas FAMs (little s) are Federal Air Marshals (the guys and few gals flying).

As for why the FAMS got rid of the TPC (the course listed on the original post)- it wasn't because too many were failing it. Less than 10% were. That's a pretty acceptable washout rate, to be honest. The problem with the TPC is that it's not a LEO qual. The old (pre-9/11) FAMs weren't LEOs. They got their guns when they got on the plane then gave them back upon landing. They had no law enforcement function off the plane. Today's FAMs are LEOs and have to pass a federally mandated qual - the Practical Pistol Course (PPC). The FAMS didn't "come up with it," it's been around for a long time. It's pretty much the standard fed qualification (except for FBI/DEA). The TPC doesn't go back further than 7 yards, the PPC goes back to 25. The TPC is mostly shot from high ready. The PPC is shot in its entirety from concealment (covered garmet). The TPC has never been challenged in court, the PPC has many times. That makes it easier for the agency to defend shootings in court (like in the Miami incident with the mentally ill guy claiming to have a bomb - BTW that incident had a 100% hit rate for the two FAMs in question. Anyone one want to point out to me a shooting with a 100% hit rate with 9 shots fired? Not many that I've seen). The standard federal qual score for the PPC is 210, I believe. FAMs have to shoot a 255. The PPC is essentially a standardized test, which gives one a more reliable measuring stick, rather than having everyone using their own test, which really gives one no frame of reference for comparison. All of us FAMs have shot the TPC. Everyone I've known and flown with has passed it. Like it's been said, it's really not that hard if your mindset is right (although a couple of times I shot it my mind was not right and it showed!). It's not an accuracy test, it's a stress test. The FAMS did, however, come up with their own test which we also shoot with the TPC and PPC - the Aircraft Tactical Pistol Course (ATPC). It's kind of a cross between the PPC and the TPC. It's got some shooting and moving in it, some shooting from aircraft seats, fast stuff up close, some farther stuff (but no more than from the 15 yard line). It's also shot often.

All that aside, the debate on this thread about the pistol work of FAMs is important. You should want the best out there flying. I know I want the best out there watching my back. But to limit the discussion to mere pistol work at the range is myopic, in my BS opinion. The range doesn't produce the "best," any more than the gym does or the dojo.

Let me explain - arguing range pistol work scores or courses or times or whatever in relation to being an effective operator is like arguing that hitting the heavy bag the hardest or fastest or whatever makes the best boxer. It obviously doesn't. There is a lot more to being a boxer than hitting the heavy bag. Hitting the bag is invaluable training, but it's basic tool development. It doesn't equate to an actual match, where someone is hitting back and moving and all the chaos that goes with it. Same for the range. A range is sterile. There is little to no judgment involved. That is to say, when you go to the range you KNOW that you're going to shoot and how many rounds and at what distance, etc. When a FAM goes to work he doesn't KNOW he's going to get into a situation. Same goes for any gunslinger. You're at the mall or grocery store and something happens. You have to react to the situation presented - it may be a shooting one. Or not. But you, under extreme adrenal stress, have to make that decision, using judgment, at the absolute worst time to do so - when intellectual thought is difficult or nearly impossible - when you are terrorized.

A range does not have targets doing their utmost to kill the shooter. You are trying to kill the bad guys, they're trying to kill you back. They're moving and attacking and retreating and innocent people are screaming and running and ducking and getting in the way. The range doesn't show this or help prepare for it.

A range does not cause adrenal stress to nearly the same degree as a chaotic, evolving, dynamic, armed assault does. It's the range. The tests are hard and we get scared because we want to do well and not look like a tool next to our friends and colleagues but let's be honest - it's the range.

The range is tool development, plain and simple. It's where you hone the fine skills. Sight alignment and trigger control. A fast draw and reload. Intermediate action drills, etc. But to say that the best shooter at the range is therefore the best gunfighter is really incorrect, IMO. The best gunfighter does the work under much different circumstances and environments, so it's hard to make a one-to-one comparison of the two.

This is why FAMs spend one day a month in the simulator. FAMs get dressed up in the Darth Vader helmets and do Simunition work every month. Full scenarios are ran, from start to finish. There are bad guys and passengers and role players and screaming and chaos and multiple assailants and all that jazz. This is where the rubber meets the road and where all serious operators really pay attention. This is where we really judge one another. Hard core shooters and physical training and hand-to-hand studs (we PT once a month too as a team as well as defensive tactics) are all looked up to, but really our true focus is in the sims room. That's where an operator has to take their firearms skills and their physical training and their hand-to-hand and combine it all into one package and make it all work against other trained people doing their damnedest to "kill" them. The in-role bad guys have their Shocknives and sims guns and bad attitudes (and maybe some explosives) and try to hijack the plane. The in-role FAMs try and stop them. It's fun and it's brutal and we almost always get some kind of hurt because it's full speed.

Is it perfect training? No. Sims work, like the range, is limited in that in the room you know SOMETHING is going to happen. Not what, and maybe it's not lethal force, but SOMETHING. But it's a damn sight closer to the real deal than the range. So don't get caught up on the best qual or the fastest times or the hardest course of fire or that stuff. It's important, yes, but no more than the fitness (strength, explosive power, endurance, etc.) or the CQB abilities of any operator. It's just one piece of the pie, and, at the end of the day, all of the pieces have to work together seamlessly to do the work in front of the operator.

Are there unsat FAMs out there? Absolutely. There will always be that 5-10% that doesn't belong and should be doing something else. I've flown with them and I hate it when I do. It's embarrassing to me. And it gives me less confidence in my ability to do the work. If the balloon goes up I'll be doing the heavy lifting, in my mind. I don't think I'm superstud but I know I'm competent and I've been tested in the real world where there is no score except going home at the end of the shift. And I, and all the serious operators I train with and respect, will be there to the bitter end should we have to be.

I also apologize for the incredible length of this diatribe and thank you if you read it all the way through. Any questions I'll be happy to answer if I can and any and all disagreements, complaints, etc. I will also try and field. I have a couple of days off to do so, at least. ;) Salute.

Last edited:
Diatribe? Seemed quite straightforward and well-reasoned to me. It was also quite informative.

I would be interested to see in what way the PPC was found wanting at trial - IF it has been (as opposed to not being an issue).

Diatribe? Seemed quite straightforward and well-reasoned to me. It was also quite informative.

I would be interested to see in what way the PPC was found wanting at trial - IF it has been (as opposed to not being an issue).

The PPC has been to court several times. The TPC never has been. It's not that it couldn't be, just that it's untried.

Think of it this way - we have professionals in any field tested based upon a standardized level so that we know where they stand. If I am tested on one test and another fed is tested on another, it's harder to judge competency. We can't really be compared. An attorney will do a number of things in court, and one of them will be to pull the agent's shooting scores. Trust me on this. If the qual is as well-established as the PPC it's an easier process, because of it's familiarity.

The PPC has been around a long time and is a known commodity. It also more accurately reflects the job of a LEO, whereas the TPC reflects a more counterterrorist approach. Both are needed for the job of a FAM, who is both counterterrorist and regular LEO (off the plane).

Personally, I have a harder time with the PPC because it goes back to the 25 yard line. :) I do my work better up close.....;)

That's my thoughts on it, anyway.

LD:

Welcome to NES!

Do you have a link to the PPC? Can you give us some specifics on the ATPC so we can run it in our IDPA Matches?

Please advise.

Thanks,

Bob

While the target size is generous, don't overlook the fact that only the smaller stripe in the center is a five point hit. Unlike the standard "Q" target where everything in the bottle is a hit.

Unfortunately there isn't a local supplier in my area for these targets otherwise it would be very easy to set up on our ranges, indoor or out.

LD:

Welcome to NES!

Do you have a link to the PPC? Can you give us some specifics on the ATPC so we can run it in our IDPA Matches?

Please advise.

Thanks,

Bob
The PPC is more of a standard LEO course of fire. I'm posting it here from memory and, although I've shot it I don't know how many times, I am for sure a little off since I've never written the course of fire down before. [frown] I know it when I shoot it but to think back on it, without being on the range, I'm pretty sure I messed it up at the 7 yard line. That's where you do most of your shooting. Anyway, here it is. I'll correct it when I shoot next. [sad2]

All mags are loaded with 6 rounds.

1 1/2 yard line...2 shots, 2 seconds (x3)
reload
3 yard line...2 rounds, 3 seconds (x3)
reload
7 yard line...2 rounds, 3 seconds, remain at high ready. From high ready, 2 rounds, 2 seconds (x2)
reload
7 yard line...3 rounds two to the chest on to the head, 7 seconds. Do it again. At second alliteration you will run dry. Emergency reload and then another 2x1, 15 seconds total
Upon firing the last 2x1, maintain gun in weak hand. 1 shot, 3 seconds (x3)
reload
7 yard line...1 round, 2 seconds (x2). After the second shot, stay at high ready in strong hand only. 3 shots, 5 seconds.

reload

15 yard line... 3 rounds 6 seconds right side standing barricade
15 yard line... 3 rounds 7 seconds right side kneeling
reload
Then the same again on the left side barricade

reload

25 yard line... all standing barricade... 3 shots 10 seconds, 2 shots 8 sec, then 1 shot 5 sec...on right side of barricade.
reload
Then repeat on the left side

SCORING:
5 points bullseye, 4 points next ring, then 3, then 2. Minus five if only on paper or off. Liners count for the best score on the line.

The ATPC is as follows:

ALL STAGES ARE SHOT FROM CONCEALED CARRY (covering garment) on FBI QIT target. You will not be told when to reload. Reloads are the shooter's responsibility.

STAGES 1-6 FROM 7 YARD LINE:

Stage 1
2 rounds from holster in 3.5 seconds (x2).

Stage 2
Tactical reload from holster (one round, drop magazine and insert new mag and fire second round) in 7.5 seconds (x2)

Stage 3
Emergency reload from holster (as above but gun runs dry after first shot) in 6 seconds (x2)

Stage 4
Mozambique. 2 to body 1 to head from holster in 4.5 seconds (x2)

Stage 5
6 shot drill from high ready in 3 seconds

Stage 6
180 pivot 2 targets from holster (x2 - opposite direction on second turn)

STAGES 7-8 FROM 15 YARD LINE

Stage 7
Seated. At "THREAT FRONT" command, unbuckle seat belt, check front, left, right, 6 and then partner. Pull gun to high ready. At command of fire 2 shots in 5.0 seconds (pretend over seat in front of you - imagine airplane). After firing, check six and then step into aisle. Same string again but second time, do NOT pull gun from holster until told to fire. Stand, clear weapon and fire 2 rounds in 5.0 seconds.

Stage 8
Seated. Same rituals as above. As soon as command to fire is given, lean to RIGHT side (remember seat), 2 shots in 5 seconds. Check 6 and step into aisle. At command of "MOVE" you move in a walk toward target. Must fire 2 rounds on move prior to 7 yard line and 2 rounds prior to 3 yard line. At 3 yard line do tactical mag exchange.
Repeat as above except second time lean to LEFT.

SCORING:
1 point for every round in QIT target. 0 points if on paper but off target. On line counts as 1 point. -5 points if off paper completely. Times: -1 for every round where time is missed (i.e. - six round drill, if 2 shots are after time expires then -2).

Sorry for the messy post. I'll get back for the corrected 7 yard line portion of the PPC later.

Last edited:
The PPC is more of a standard LEO course of fire. I'm posting it here from memory and, although I've shot it I don't know how

Sorry for the messy post. I'll get back for the corrected 7 yard line portion of the PPC later.

LD:

Great info! Thanks,

Bob

Law Dawg,

First, as a pilot, I thank you and your fellow FAMs for doing your jobs well. I always feel better when FAMs are onboard. Even if I am downrange. [smile]

Second, maybe I missed it, but what targets are used for the PPC?

Btw, for anyone who is interested, Law Enforcement Targets www.letargets.com carries a huge variety of targets. I bet they have the proper PPC target.

Law Dawg,

First, as a pilot, I thank you and your fellow FAMs for doing your jobs well. I always feel better when FAMs are onboard. Even if I am downrange. [smile]

Second, maybe I missed it, but what targets are used for the PPC?

Btw, for anyone who is interested, Law Enforcement Targets www.letargets.com carries a huge variety of targets. I bet they have the proper PPC target.

Thanks!

Standard FLETC targets. I don't know the name, to be honest. I believe it's the same target the FFDOs shoot. It's the silhouette target, with rings inside the silhouette. It's blue. I'll get the number next range day. Sorry.

Some FAM training at last range day-

All the times on the following four courses are added together with the lowest time being the day's winner. I didn't win. [frown]

1. 3 yard line, one FBI target - 3 rounds, emergency reload, 3 rounds, emergency reload, three rounds. Any rounds off target add 5 seconds. Liners count in shooter's favor.

2. 25 yard line, small bulls eye target - 5 rounds, no time limit. Center = 0 points, next ring +1, etc. Each plus = one second added to time.

3. Triple nickel - 5 yard line, FBI target - shooting at five targets lined up next to one another, put 2 rounds into each target. A reload (emergency or tactical) must be conducted somewhere in the string (shooter's choice). Liners do NOT count in shooter's favor. A shooter that shoots it under 5 seconds three different times earns a challenge coin. A 5 second penalty is assessed for each round off the target.

4. Steel - 15 yard line, small steel targets (tea plate sized). Do 25 jumping jacks, then 16 mountain climbers. Clock starts once shooter finishes exercises. Shooter must put together his/her disassembled gun, then insert one loaded 12 round mag. There are 12 steel targets. The shooter also has one unloaded 12 round mag that they may or may not use, their choice. 5 second penalty for each target not hit.

It was a good day of training.....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom