The problem with "5 boxes of this, 2 boxes of that, and some of those".

I had a Bren 805 S1 and I can say I've never gotten 6 to 8 inch groups out of it. Not saying it isn't your gun, but I'm definitely saying that's not working as intended.
Worst case was roughly 3-4" out of Tula and Wolf and best case for me was 1.5" out of 69gr SMK with 5 shot strings. But mostly floating around 2.5" with general brass Federal, S&B, and PPU. Which sounds about right for a service gun that is intended to deliver 2-4"
MOA that gun will never be, but having something opening up that much sounds wrong too. I gave a pretty lengthy write up on the gun something like 3 years ago on here. Haven't played with the 2nd gen ones yet at all, we shall see eventually. I know there has been some teething issues on the 7.62x39 model which was the one that interested me more.
Same here, 55gr steel Tula i use is a 3 moa spread ammo, perfectly fine for shooting at a 8” steel plate. When primers are selling at $250 per 1000 I feel no remorse shooting a 35cpr steel ammo no matter the spread.

With the current ammo situation, I've been picking up ammo here and there from time to time when it comes available, usually in 100 - 200 round quantities. As a result, I've got a smorgasbord of different brands. My 5.56 situation may be the worst, because I have a bunch of both that and .223 on hand in various brands. Took a few different brands of .223 to the range this morning to see just how different they are. I knew there'd be a spread, but I was surprised at the extent of it.

First up was some Tula steel case that I got as part my TS freebee this year. Completely off the paper at 100 yards. I have no idea where they were going, and with only 10 rounds on hand I didn't spend a lot of time trying to figure it out.

Next, a half box of Hornady Custom Training. First 5 made a nice group 2 clicks left / one high. Dialed it back over / down and was nicely hitting around the center until I ran out.

Finally, some Federal white box, where the spread doubled and walked halfway to the top of the target.

Sure, I was expecting differences and my 805 with a non-magnified red dot is no one's idea of a tack driver, but what a PITA this is going to be as I burn through the random stuff before I get down to the things where I was able to pick up cases of stuff.
Here are samples of 55gr steel Tula vs 68gr brass frontier match grade, out of 20” LaRue stealth. 55gr spread is about an inch better of what 16” tavor does, but, quite comparable.

An interesting thing I was reading then on AR15 forum about LaRue barrels and some say a shift of group to the left is actually temperature driven, as barrel reaches certain point. But I think it was probably me, as I shot it with a leather bag rest, so rifle was not locked properly.

Attachments

• 2F03181F-E3C8-468A-BC33-D767AAE6847C.jpeg
    2F03181F-E3C8-468A-BC33-D767AAE6847C.jpeg
    167.2 KB · Views: 2
  • D2577305-8701-41A3-8614-A9F9C108FD5D.jpeg
    D2577305-8701-41A3-8614-A9F9C108FD5D.jpeg
    692.1 KB · Views: 2
Back
Top Bottom