The U.S. Army wants a new gun.

Tokarev.

/thread

Bwahahahaha !!!! [rofl][laugh2] That will happen right after the Air Force starts buying Migs

If the Army wants a manual safety on its new pistol (if this comes to pass) you can bet that Gaston and crew will provide such a model for testing. This is a company that knows how to play the game and I'm sure such a model exists on the drawing board or if push
came to shove they'd pay the royalty to GD.

That is what I was thinking. If General Taxpayersmoney calls Glock and says they want Glocks with safeties, Glock will ask " In what color"

Didn't know that.

I've been unable to find pics.

Love to see what the Glock version looks like.

1. Why would they go with a gun that uses heavier and more expensive ammo?
2. Why would they change their logistics?

Staying 9mm makes sense.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.captainsjournal.com/2014/12/07/is-smith-wesson-going-under/

Author suggests S&W is on shaky ground and may be relying on winning the gov contract to stay afloat.

The people at S&W must be retarded. They didn't anticipate a drop in demand? Everyone knows demand went up because of a few shootings and Barry.
I can't believe that a company that has been in business for so long didn't expect demand to go back down .

1. Why would they go with a gun that uses heavier and more expensive ammo? 2. Why would they change their logistics? Staying 9mm makes sense.

They have done this before when they went from 30-06 to 7.62 NATO and forced all the NATO Allies to adopt this round (the Brits wanted something similar to the .270 Winchester at the time) only to drop the round in a few years for the 5.56. Look at the brief history of the M14 as the standard service rifle.

Then in 1985 they dropped the 45 for the 9mm but the 38 Spl was in service for decades and in fact the Model 15 S&W Revolver was the official handgun of the USAF. Revolvers were also issued to Army aviators and some MPs. They had multiple guns and calibers in the logistics system.Changing calibers is no big deal and since when has making sense been a priority with the military. Frankly if limited to FMJ I would want something that makes a bigger hole.

Last edited:
1. Why would they go with a gun that uses heavier and more expensive ammo?
2. Why would they change their logistics?

Staying 9mm makes sense.

- - - Updated - - -

The people at S&W must be retarded. They didn't anticipate a drop in demand? Everyone knows demand went up because of a few shootings and Barry.
I can't believe that a company that has been in business for so long didn't expect demand to go back down .

Tell that to all of the bitches who whined back during the gun buying spree about ammo costing too much and nothing being available for inventory in guns.

Sometimes in business - you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. If you don't supply what the customer wants RIGHT NOW - they bitch and whine and go somewhere else. Maybe the gun buying spree lasted just long enough for S&W to decide to expand - and now that the spree is gone - they're stuck with the expenses and not enough revenue to pay it all off.

http://www.captainsjournal.com/2014/12/07/is-smith-wesson-going-under/

Author suggests S&W is on shaky ground and may be relying on winning the gov contract to stay afloat.

Forecasting demand is one of the hardest parts of running a business. That being said, everyone knew sales would drop off a cliff eventually; just not when it would happen. Not the end of the world if they are forced into bankruptcy. They either restructure their debt or liquidate and sell off the name and assets to an interested buyer who would run the brand under new ownership.

Forecasting demand is one of the hardest parts of running a business. That being said, everyone knew sales would drop off a cliff eventually; just not when it would happen. Not the end of the world if they are forced into bankruptcy. They either restructure their debt or liquidate and sell off the name and assets to an interested buyer who would run the brand under new ownership.

Exactly, the fortunes of S&W have waxed and waned over the century and a half plus they have been in business but they have always survived.

Looks like Beretta is taking a swing with the M9A3. Tactical tan, hope out next war zone isn't more green or some other earth tone.

M9A3-b1.jpg

I kind of dig it. Personally, the M9 has a place in my heart as it is the first gun I fired, and I learned how to use it quite well. One day I would like to get an M9 marked pistol for sentimental reasons.

Looks like Beretta is taking a swing with the M9A3. Tactical tan, hope out next war zone isn't more green or some other earth tone.

M9A3-b1.jpg

I kind of dig it. Personally, the M9 has a place in my heart as it is the first gun I fired, and I learned how to use it quite well. One day I would like to get an M9 marked pistol for sentimental reasons.

That would be sick if it was OD Green.

Yeah fail for the 1911

I dont like this test as it uses a "1911" that is not built to the specs browning set forth for use with the military. JMB set out to design the 1911 for military use.
Flat out the only thing that put the 1911 out service is cost. Like the M16 series of guns they are cheap for the military to buy.
I will bet a original US 1911 or even a 1911a1 in good usgi operating order will do better than most guns today in combat conditions.
When it comes to arming up the mass troops cost is number 1

Didn't those soldiers who served in Iraq want their 45 cal handgun back?

Idk, I have never heard anyone talk about the gun fight they got into with their M9's.

I can tell you that while I was in the .mil I had all sorts of retarded opinions of guns and ammo based on the retarded opinions of the people who had been in .mil a year or 2 longer then I was. Kind of like the guy that gets his info from the guy at the gun shop counter, or buys something because a PD uses it.

Blued stainless Ruger SR9e(s) [devil2]

Why do you hate the troops so much?

I have to agree. The SR series from Ruger have even more tiny intricate numerous moving parts than the M&P line. No way they cut it on the battle field.

I'm not a glock fan - but I have to concede the point that they are the best go to war pistol.

Why do you hate the troops so much?

It's a relatively inexpensive, functional, and a politically feature correct pistol with all sorts of small internal parts not well suited for filthy battlefields so wunderkid procurement people will love it.

Just like the original AR-15.

I personally did not like the Beretta, the rounds in the mags constantly jammed and misfed

That's because the mil made the genius decision to purchase shitty off-brand third party magazines made by Check-mate industries instead of Beretta factory mags. They also specified that the magazine internals were to have a rough phosphate finish (presumably for corrosion resistance), which caused them to get jammed up when sandy. Brilliant. To compound the problem, the problematic Check-mate mags were never removed from the supply chain once the root cause of the problem was identified.

and the safety on the back of the slide was often mistakenly thrown into the 'SAFE' position when you racked the slide while reloading under pressure.

This takes literally all of 5 minutes of proper training to address. Then again, having seen the amount of actual pistol training the .mil typically provides, it's not surprising that it is still an issue for some.

When overhand racking, simply place your left hand thumb parallel to the slide and pointed back towards your body. Make sure it sits under the safety to block it from being accidentaly engaged. Your left hand index finger will naturally rest underneath the right hand safety lever, which provides another point of contact to prevent the safety from being engaged. Rack slide and release your hand upwards instead of backwards. Poof. No more issue.

Last edited:
Maybe General Dynamics, teamed with S&W can make the M&P9 a contender, with the M&P45 as a SpecOps gun. It'd be good to see a US designed and made product being used. And GD can get S&W to put more QC into the weapon, as well as a better finish on it.
9mm works.

General Dynamics makes a lot of .mil guns, most of them 50 cal machine guns and larger. :)

we can poo-poo the M&P series all day long but I have had nothing but excellent reliability and performance from my M&P 9.

Back
Top Bottom