Thinking about buying a SBR, need FFL recommendations.

So i am considering shelling out some cake for one of these: http://www.lmtstore.com/complete-weapon-systems-firearms-guns/sbrs/lm8-mrp-10-5-sbr.html

Is this process correct?:
1) pay for the firearm
2) firearms is transferred to local FFL
3) Fill out and send in ATF form 4, pay tax
4) wait
5) Once (if) form 4 approved, FFL can transfer to me.

I am in the metro west area of MA, any advice on what dealer(s) are best to work with for this would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Does that front handguard have a rail that runs half way over the lower in one piece ?
Just a thought, can you buy a SBR from an individual, might pay a lot less.

Last edited:
Sudbury is a red town. Good luck with COP sign off. [frown]

I believe that red town thing is old. The license officer of past i heard was a dick.
I got my ALP when i lived in Framingham, The only thing douchey about the renewal in Sudbury is they wanted a copy of the training cert. Luckily i still had that. The licensing officer said they only want to issue ALP now. I heard she retired and they now have another office running licenses. There is also a new chief. Luckily i have a neighbor on the "force" that can help me out if the COP hesitates. (he also said just buy a normal one and cut the barrel down just dont tell anyone. LOL)

If all else fails, my sister just moved to NH and is all into shooting now. So i will go the trust route if need be.

I may be missing something but cant you just buy an upper and lower separate and put together after you get stamp and save a boat load of money
Again I am new to SBR's

Its funny i have just started looking into getting a SBR also. I live in Canton Ma and recently had to have my license renewed and they were very good to deal with. My question is would that extend to a SBR? I am not sure I want to go to the expense of setting up a trust.

So i am considering shelling out some cake for one of these: http://www.lmtstore.com/complete-weapon-systems-firearms-guns/sbrs/lm8-mrp-10-5-sbr.html

Is this process correct?:
1) pay for the firearm
2) firearms is transferred to local FFL
3) Fill out and send in ATF form 4, pay tax
4) wait
5) Once (if) form 4 approved, FFL can transfer to me.

I am in the metro west area of MA, any advice on what dealer(s) are best to work with for this would be appreciated.

Thanks!

That is basically correct. The SBR will transfer tax free from the purchasing dealer to the receiving dealer in 3-8 weeks. You send in th form 4 and wait for that transfer then go pick it up. 4473 is still filled out. NFA transfers are usually more than a normal transfer as dealers typically have to arrange two sets of paperwork including filling out your form 4 and making sure everything is good, plus having to store a SBR for up to 6 months.

Some like factory SBRs as you don't have to put your trust or name on them, warranty, etc.

From what I understand there are plenty of Chiefs that will not sign off on a form for a SBR. Go ask. If they say no go get a trust.

Ask the MA dealer if they can get it cheaper either directly or through a distributor. You pay sales tax but in many cases it can be bought cheaper.

PM me if you have any questions.

My 2 cents...build it on a form 1. A complete LMT defender lower with Sopmod stock goes for about $500. A LMT mk18 upper goes for about $500 as well. Include a quality BCG and charging handle and you a high quality SBR for about $1600 with the stamp, engraving, and trust.

Its funny i have just started looking into getting a SBR also. I live in Canton Ma and recently had to have my license renewed and they were very good to deal with. My question is would that extend to a SBR? I am not sure I want to go to the expense of setting up a trust.
You need to find out if they will sign off on a Form 4. Or if they even know what that is. Jack.

You need to find out if they will sign off on a Form 4. Or if they even know what that is. Jack.

Yep, licensing officer and chief in my town had no idea what a Form 1 or Form 4 were. I had a trust drafted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What happens if you want to SBR a pistol that would otherwise be illegal in MA? Case in point, CZ Scorpion Evo as a Pistol not only isn't on the "list" and is not compliant so it can't be transfered, but it also can't even be possesed in MA as it would fall under "assault pistol"

It would be perfectly legal to SBR with 922r conversion parts, but, since no factory SBR exists, there's no way to take possession to even file a form 1

It may be irrelevant, as CZ has announced a carbine version that already has the stock and 922r parts but that also means cutting down a barrel and replacing a handguard

That's where an 07 SOT comes into play.

There is an extra stamp involved for the 07 to form 1 it to an SBR then form 4 it to you.

Last edited:
That's where an 07 SOT comes into play.

There is an extra stamp involved for the 07 to form 1 it to an SBR then form 4 it to you.

I can't rep you again for the same post, but +1. That seals the coffin on the Pistol conversation to a SBR. The carbine version will have to work

There would not be an extra stamp for the FFL/SOT to make it into an SBR - FFL/SOTs make NFA items tax-free, that's the whole point of the SOT.

You would, however, have to leave it with the FFL/SOT until the Form 4 to you is approved, whereas if you get the carbine version you'll be able to hang onto it while the Form 1 is in process.

There would not be an extra stamp for the FFL/SOT to make it into an SBR - FFL/SOTs make NFA items tax-free, that's the whole point of the SOT.

You would, however, have to leave it with the FFL/SOT until the Form 4 to you is approved, whereas if you get the carbine version you'll be able to hang onto it while the Form 1 is in process.

My bad, you right. Forgot about the SOT not having to file form 1's.

I looked into doing an MPX this way. Helps to have a friendly SOT.

My bad, you right. Forgot about the SOT not having to file form 1's.

I looked into doing an MPX this way. Helps to have a friendly SOT.

Somewhat related, but not really: I was at the range a little while ago and an SOT was there with an MPX he had converted to full auto and put a can on. Hoooo boy was that sweet.

Somewhat related, but not really: I was at the range a little while ago and an SOT was there with an MPX he had converted to full auto and put a can on. Hoooo boy was that sweet.

Harvard? Couple of MPX's there. Fun gun, less fun for a civilian with 10 rd mags.

Harvard? Couple of MPX's there. Fun gun, less fun for a civilian with 10 rd mags.

Yup, Harvard. Yeah, I thought about the MPX for a bit too, and immediately ditched the idea since I'd be stuck with 10 rounders.

Back
Top Bottom