Time for a .45

mAss Backwards said:
The only trouble I've had with it has been from shooting the cheap aluminum cased CCI Blazer ammo. Other that that, it's performed remarkably well.

It's a great gun for the money.

Roger that, Ted at the gunshop said that if he had to outfit the employees with guns; Power, Reliability, Price ratio he would give us P345's

ChristosX said:
Cross-X, thanks for the recommendations. I really like Sig products having owned a 228 in the past and a 229 (.40) now. I very well may go for a 220, especially if Carl at FS has a nice gently used one for the right price. I'm just exploring all of my options at this point.

Regards,
Chris[thinking]

I bought my Sig 220 from Carl several years ago -- I got a gently used one for about $500. I still have it today, though it does not see quite as much use as it once did.

I understand the advantage of an adjustable sight for target use,but can someone tell me what the deal is with an ambidextrous safety on a 1911?

I'm starting to think that this old technology may not be the way to go. If I have to buy so many aftermarket parts and have a trigger job and re-engineer the whole thing, why not just get a modern .45 that shoots well right out of the box. I'm thinking Sig P220 or HK USP .45. Perhaps the 1911 is not all its made up to be. [pot]

Regards,
Chris

The Box stock 1911 trigger is 10 times better than that of the P220 and the HK trigger. The single action 1911 trigger is the trigger that all other guns are compared to. A trigger job isn't needed but it will make the gun that much "better". As for the comment on "old" technology, No gun has been able to dethrone the 1911 for the fact that it has the best trigger, best grip angle, best features. More 1911's are sold each year than any other gun. Think about it for a minute...

I had a Sig P220 .45 and it was a decent gun. I no longer have it yet have quite a few 1911's in my collection. I will never own another P220 for the fact that the double action trigger is terrible, the single action trigger is marginal at best, and the sights leave a lot to be desired. Add that to the akward grip angle and the gun just doesn't compete with a 1911.

You wonder about what's so great about the ambisafety. First if you're a lefty it's wonderful, second if you shoot weak handed then the safety is a must have. When you shoot a 1911 your shooting hand always rests on the safety which aids in recoil control. I would suggest shooting a 1911 and other guns such as the Sig before you buy a .45.

Pete

PistolPete said:
More 1911's are sold each year than any other gun. Think about it for a minute...

Pete

Every year Toyota sells more Camrys than any other car. Does that make the Camry the best car? DeWalt sells more cordless drills than any other tool maker and the DeWalt is a piece of crap. McDonald's sells billions of burgers... well, you get the idea. I want some real evidence before I spend my $1000 on a .45, be it a 1911, Glock, Sig, HK, Ruger or S&W (non-1911). At this point all I have heard is that the 1911 is best because it is the best. Of course the single action trigger should be superior to a DA/SA set up. It sounds like a MAC user telling a PC user that the MAC is superior just because. Come on, guys. [pot] [pot] [pot]

Regards,
Chris

I dunno, I'm behind Pete 100%

But again, cars, burgers, and guns in the end all boil down to personal preference.

If I was GIVEN a Glock, the first thing I'd do is sell the damn thing and get a "Better" gun.

I'm not calling Glocks "Bad" perse, I just personally can't stand them and want nothing to do with them.

And more than likely I might get a Para Warthawg SS cause they look frikkin sweet! [smile]

Arrrr

-Weer'd Beard

I see your point with the Camry or Corolla or whatever.

However, the difference being is that there are dozens of 1911 manufacturers not just the one brand like "Toyota".

the 1911 is superior for many reasons.

1.) best triggers that can be as heavy or light as you want.
2.) Best grip angle
3.) Perfect ergonomics. All the controls are where they should be
4.) Sights- any and every type of sight is avail for the 1911. If you want night sights, combat sights, adj. sights, big sights, small sights, red dot sights, fiber optic sights etc. The same can't be said for all other pistol types.
5.) Aftermarket support. You mentioned that you don't want to "have" to spend money to make the gun run. Well you don't "have" to touch the gun in any way shape or form. BUT, if there is something you don't like about the gun or want to improve on it is available. Regardless of what you think you need or want the part is out there for you. This can't be said for other pistols.
6.) Grip angle and recoil control. The grip angle of the 1911 is such that it is easier to point and easier to control recoil with. Esp. with a proper grip with the thumb resting on the thumb safety.
7.) The 1911 pistol is hands down the top dawg in pistol competition. Most are using the double stack frames with high capacity mags.
8.) Ease of using. A 1911 is simple to use. Load a mag insert it into the gun rack the slide and that's it. You can click the safety on and you're ready to go. No decocking of the hammer, no mag. disconnect safety.
9.) avail. 10 round mags for single stack .45's. Doesn't sound like much but you'll def. want the 10 round exteneded mags. Very easy to find for 1911's not so much the case for others.
10.) Style- If you're one of the guys that cares how his gun looks then you can't go wrong with the 1911. The cool factor is always there.

I don't know what type of shooting you do but if you ever decide to shoot competitively you'll be shooting either a 1911 or a Glock. If you're going to shoot a .45 them I would obviously recommend the 1911. If you're shooting limited division in IPSC a glock would be a good option because a double stack 1911 for the most part will cost at least $2000.

Will you pay more for your 1911 than another .45? YES, most likely you will. Just remember you get what you pay for. Not saying the other guns are bad because they def. are not they just aren't as good as a 1911. However, they all have a purpose and each will be better for certain things.

You still haven't told us what the primary use of this gun is either? That will help narrow the decision as well. I have other guns but I only shoot my 1911's. Granted I have a ton more money wrapped up in the 1911's but that's due to trial and error and now for me the 1911 is king and I'm sure will always be.

NOW THATS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!!!!!!
Thanks Pete!!!!![cheers]
Finally some intelligent reasons for thinking 1911. Pete, for the first time someone has listed some serious advantages for me. I'm not into formal competition (yet), but I'd like to reserve that option for my .45. You have given me some good points to research. I'm going to reconsider and start the analysis part of my .45 purchase again. I may yet end up with a 1911. Pete, I owe you one for your good, INTELLIGENT advice.

Regards,
Chris

I say go for the SW1911 with adjustable sights too. It is just because I think it is the best choice of a .45 available to us in MA. Outside the state and in different calibers, you'd have more options and more intelligent arguments for other guns.

I just can't believe Round Gun Shooter hasn't stepped in and suggested the 625. Another, classic design.

Last edited:
GTOShootr said:
I just can't believe Round Gun Shooter hasn't stepped in and suggested the 625. Another, classic design.

I refuse to resort to moon clips to fire .45 ACP. The round was designed for a semi-auto, period. I really do not understand the appeal of a .45, or 9mm or 10mm in a wheelgun. It just does not make sense to me.

Regards,
Chris

ChristosX said:
I refuse to resort to moon clips to fire .45 ACP. The round was designed for a semi-auto, period. I really do not understand the appeal of a .45, or 9mm or 10mm in a wheelgun. It just does not make sense to me.

Regards,
Chris

Chris,

Maybe, just maybe, you might want to hold any final opinion about revolvers and the .45 until you have shot a .45 in a 625, especially one of Round Gun Shooter's 625 revolvers. Round Gun Shooter is way too modest to tell you what a helluva gunsmith he is.

If you condemn this gun before you have even shot it once, you just might be missing out on something big!

I shot a 625 just once, then, as soon as I spotted a lightly used one at Four Seasons, I bought the sucker!

If you are willing to withold judgment for a bit, there are lots of interesting handguns out there.

Last edited:
ChristosX said:

Regards,
Chris

The ballistics, recoil, and size of the .45 Auto round, plus the simplicity, and reliablity of a wheelgun, I can see the appeal in it.

I've never shot one (would LOVE too) but aren't moon-clips MUCH faster to load than a speed-loader?

Arrrr

-Weer'd Beard

My experience was the same as Cross-X's (ha, cross examine, I get it now!). I tried RGS's 6.5" M-25 and my response was "that's not a revolver." On top of having a great trigger, I couldn't see ME investing in anything other than a .45 for fun or competition. Firstly, unlike .38 specials, the caliber carries over to my other guns. Secondly, moonclips reload so effortlessly and smoothly (everything about revolver shooting seems to be about smoothness), which was a major problem I had with my 686. Thirdly, picking up brass is so easy. I'm on the lookout for a good deal on one so I can, as my new friend Craig says, join the REVOLution.

Also, I forgot in my first post about my SW Performance Center 945. They are in a league of their own as single stacks go.

what's so great about the ambisafety. First if you're a lefty it's wonderful, second if you shoot weak handed then the safety is a must have. When you shoot a 1911 your shooting hand always rests on the safety which aids in recoil control.

I agree about the ambi safety if you are a lefty. Its a much needed addition to a 1911. I do not agree that for a "righty" to shoot a 1911 an ambi safety is a must have. I've been shooting this IPSC game a long time, I do not have an ambi safety on my 1911. I personally think there is more strength in your weak hand grip when your thumb is down on the grip instead of up on the ambi safety lever. Notice how much grip panel is exposed next time you practice weak hand if you thumb ride the safety. Just my .02 on that subject. Something for you to think about.

Hamar said:
I agree about the ambi safety if you are a lefty. Its a much needed addition to a 1911. I do not agree that for a "righty" to shoot a 1911 an ambi safety is a must have. I've been shooting this IPSC game a long time, I do not have an ambi safety on my 1911. I personally think there is more strength in your weak hand grip when your thumb is down on the grip instead of up on the ambi safety lever. Notice how much grip panel is exposed next time you practice weak hand if you thumb ride the safety. Just my .02 on that subject. Something for you to think about.

Do you have some clever method for releasing the safety when you are shooting left-handed with a non-ambi safety 1911?

I couldn't come up with anything that worked, so I have ambi'd all my 1911 guns.

Cross-X

I would recommend the S&W1911,
but you should get what feels right in your hand when shooting.
When I first started shooting I did not like the feel of the 1911, to narrow for my hands, it wasn't until I got the chance to shoot one that I found out what all the fuss was about. Great trigger and natural point of aim. the safety and mag release are right where they should be.

There is a huge aftermarket, so you can easily modify your gun for performance or looks

Cross-X, When I make my draw, my right hands removes the pistol from the holster, as my right hand comes up to about chest level where it meets my left hand, just before the transfer my right thumb removes the safety. The pistol then moves into the left hand and I start looking for the front sight as the weapon is pushed forward. I'll make my first shot as soon as I see the sight and I have a secure grip in place.

Because of the way we competition shooters ride the safety with our thumb, everything is the same during the draw except for the transfer to the weak hand.

Hamar said:
Cross-X, When I make my draw, my right hands removes the pistol from the holster, as my right hand comes up to about chest level where it meets my left hand, just before the transfer my right thumb removes the safety. The pistol then moves into the left hand and I start looking for the front sight as the weapon is pushed forward. I'll make my first shot as soon as I see the sight and I have a secure grip in place.

Because of the way we competition shooters ride the safety with our thumb, everything is the same during the draw except for the transfer to the weak hand.

I should have framed my question more carefully. If you are starting from low-ready with your gun in your left hand with the safety engaged, how do you disengage it?

Good Question, In that situation, I would use my left thumb or my left trigger finger. I must say, I have never had to start from the low-ready position weak hand. Out of curiousity, where have you run into this starting position?

Hamar said:
Good Question, In that situation, I would use my left thumb or my left trigger finger. I must say, I have never had to start from the low-ready position weak hand. Out of curiousity, where have you run into this starting position?

We use this position when shooting during IDPA practices, where the shooter must shoot weak-hand starting from the beep. To avoid the possibility of dropping the gun, the start position is with the gun in the weak-hand, held at low ready.

I have to say that the SIG P220 is an amazing .45acp out of the box. I have never had a problem with mine and it is stock, so no trigger or spring work at all. It eats EVERYTHING in the ammo department without fail. Period. It is dead nuts accurate too for a fixed sight .45. Something about the SIG's I guess, cause I can group tight at 25yds with the .45 and the .380 P232 as well! Of course, the pistol may be great, but you have to do your part and practice and all...

The Sig P220 is an OK gun. I wouldn't say it is amazing. I had one before I got into 1911's and it was quickly replaced after my first 1911. The problem with the P220 is the trigger is terrible esp. in MA and for target/competition the DA/SA trigger system stinks. Then to top it off it is hard to find good 10 round mags for it. Most of the aftermarket 10 round mags don't function well in the gun. Add that to the fact that aftermarket parts are few and far between. It is a good gun but just can't compete with a 1911. Plus, the gun weighs more, has an akward grip angle, and the sights leave a lot to be desired.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom