Time for a .45

I have decided that my next firearm will be a .45 but I am unsure which variety to go with. I understand the 95 years of history behind the 1911 concept but I am not sure if single action is for me. The Para LDA is interesting but I'm not sure about that either. I'm also considering the Sig P220 and the Smith and Wesson 990L. Can anyone offer some compelling advice to convince me one way or the other? Note to the usual suspects: I only want one .45 so please do not suggest that I buy them all. TIA

Regards,
Chris

Chris,

If the P990L in .45 is a serious contender, you'll have lots of time to think about it... not on "the list". (In fact S&W changed the P99's in 9mm and .40S&W, so the new ones are no longer compliant even though they are on the list.)

So, maybe that narrows things a bit for you. Can't tell you about the others.
Matt

If you are buying a .45 and it isn't a 1911 then you're wasting your money... All the other guns will get old quickly... They all have the terrible double/single action triggers. They are not good competition guns and the grip angles are all off. The 1911 offers the best ergonomics, the best triggers, and the best aftermarket than any other gun. That being said if the stock 1911 isn't perfect then for short money you can "make" it perfect. I don't know what type of shooting you do but if you ever plan on competition shooting you will be shooting a 1911. Ever since I went the 1911 route I've never looked back. Only problem is now the guns just get bigger and more expensive.

Pete

PistolPete said:
If you are buying a .45 and it isn't a 1911 then you're wasting your money... All the other guns will get old quickly... They all have the terrible double/single action triggers. Pete

Uhhh...So my USP Tactical is old, a waste of money and have terrible triggers? Actually, the Tactical comes with the HK Match Trigger, which is a fantastic trigger.

I wouldn't say that any .45 that isn't a 1911 isn't a good gun...Then again, it's up to the individual. I still say my HK SOCOM tops your 1911 [smile] [smile] [smile]

I still say my HK SOCOM tops your 1911

I doubt the HK Socom will top my SV.

The other question you need to ask is then why do MOST the top dawgs use 1911's? I can't recall any top shooters using the HK. Again, I could be wrong...

Last edited:
Pete,
Thats a bold statement. No gun is a waste of money, I am very fond of the 1911 but I still look at others also.

I was only joking with that statement but I'm sure I'll get bashed for it. All I'm saying is the 1911 is the way to go (for me anyways). As for no gun being a waste of money I'll disagree with that as I've owned a few that just wouldn't function thus were a waste of money.

PistolPete said:
I doubt the HK Socom will top my SV.

The other question you need to ask is then why do MOST the top dawgs use 1911's? I can't recall any top shooters using the HK. Again, I could be wrong...

I wasn't bashing you or your statement. Like I said, it is up to each individual for which 45 you prefer.

And I wasn't bashing your 1911, either...I've shot a 1911, and yes they are pretty awesome guns, but I would have to say that you aren't giving the SOCOM credit though either. Can't recall any top shooters using a SOCOM?...This handgun was developed under request from US SOCOM (Special Operations Command).

They are BOTH awesome guns and should both be held with reverence.

dreppucci007 said:
I wasn't bashing you or your statement. Like I said, it is up to each individual for which 45 you prefer.

And I wasn't bashing your 1911, either...I've shot a 1911, and yes they are pretty awesome guns, but I would have to say that you aren't giving the SOCOM credit though either. Can't recall any top shooters using a SOCOM?...This handgun was developed under request from US SOCOM (Special Operations Command).

They are BOTH awesome guns and should both be held with reverence.

I hope yer not comparing my 1911 to all others.....mine is in desperate need of a trigger-job.

Still I'm a huge fan of the USP and the SOCOM...if yer not opposed to havin a BIG GUN.

Still nothing feels more at home in my hand than a 1911.

Arrr

-Weer'd Beard

dreppucci007 said:
That's what I'm ultimately saying...It's each person's preference. You say potato I say potato (Doesn't really work well without hearing it). [smile]

Most of the time I call them "Shpurtatos". And Tomatos are often refered to as "Matatos". I rarely call anything by the right name.

ya wonder why they call me "Weer'd"

Arrrr

-Weer'd Beard

My Two Cents

Or, you could go with the Ruger P345...

rugerbig.JPG

...and use the money you saved to get yourself a nice purdy shotgun.

shotgun2.jpg

Least, that's what I did.

You didn't say what it's primary mission would be.

I have a 1911 and love it, but for carryin, the SW CS45 is a bit nicer. Light, accurate and feels great in my hand... also both fit in the same holster so you can carry the 1911 when you want.

cs45.jpg

Here are a few thoughts:

Sig 220: I have one, and have had it for a looooong time. It is a hell of a gun, as accurate as I could ever want, and, if you don't mind the heft, a heck of a full-sized carry gun. Since it is a Sig, you know it is a high quality piece.

Glock 21: Sturdy, easy to customize, and plenty accurate for IDPA/IPSC games. Not flashy, just damn good.

Glock 30: Kinda like a Glock 21, but in slightly smaller clothes. Enough size for a comfortable grip, but not as long or as bulky as big brother G21. Another great gun from Gaston Glock. Clever compromises balanced to perfection.

S&W 1911: My newest sweetheart of a gun. The single action trigger on my full-sized steel 1911 is to die for, especially once I had my gunsmith, Greg Derr, perform one of his exquisite trigger jobs on it. I shot my S&W 1911 at the S&W IDPA Winter Championships a couple weeks ago, and the gun didn't miss a trick. Hit where I aimed, never jammed once, and ran well all day long. I love it!

Any of these guns might be a great choice for you. If you can, shoot 'em all and then decide.

Last edited:
Hey Massbackwards, hows that Ruger P345 shoot anyway? At least Ruger is moving in the right direction as far as its guns looking OK. The only part of the 345 that strikes me as looking kind of cheap is the safety lever. But really, how does it shoot? I know it is relatively cheap to buy too...

Regards,
Chris

Cross-X, thanks for the recommendations. I really like Sig products having owned a 228 in the past and a 229 (.40) now. I very well may go for a 220, especially if Carl at FS has a nice gently used one for the right price. I'm just exploring all of my options at this point.

Regards,
Chris[thinking]

I have a funny feeling that I will be getting a new S&W 1911 this Sat. [smile]
Being a noob to the S&W 1911 (and 1911 in general) what extras should I get right off the bat? I am sure they have a basic model and top notch one available.
I will be using this for a combat pistol league, lots of just lead will be going through this if that matters as well. Any info would be GREAT ! Kepp in mind I don't want to break the bank too bad here, the basic gun is costly enough.
Thanks in advance [bow]
Should I have posted a new topic with this? sorry....

Last edited:
Ed,

S&W 1911 doesn't really need much.

- Short trigger if you find the trigger reach a bit too long,
- MANY mags,
- A good holster for your purposes,
- Mag carriers if appropriate for your purposes,
- Tons of ammo!

That's it.

edin508 said:
I have a funny feeling that I will be getting a new S&W 1911 this Sat. [smile]
Being a noob to the S&W 1911 (and 1911 in general) what extras should I get right off the bat? I am sure they have a basic model and top notch one available.
I will be using this for a combat pistol league, lots of just lead will be going through this if that matters as well. Any info would be GREAT ! Kepp in mind I don't want to break the bank too bad here, the basic gun is costly enough.
Thanks in advance [bow]
Should I have posted a new topic with this? sorry....

Here is what I have had done to my S&W 1911:

Trigger job by Greg Derr of Greg Derr Precision in Marshfield. The phone number at the shop is 781 834-3225. Amazingly outstanding work!

Fiber optic Dawson Precision front sight in red.

Wilson Combat thin wood grips.

I also purchased a bunch of Wilson Combat 47 and 47DAB eight round mags. I have never had a jam caused by any of these outstanding mags. They help my gun run as reliably as I could ever want.

--Sparky

Just make sure to start with the target model. This gun has the better adj. rear sight and ambi thumb safety. If you have the extra cash get the DK as this has even more feature. I would then recommend a trigger job and a fiber optic front sight. Other than that it should be good to go right from the box. The trigger job and front sight are not needed though to be a good pistol.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom