to answers LenS ?

LenS

I have been back for a few months now. I thought I had posted it a coupl,e times but will do so here just to make sure everyone knows I am back in Vermont.

I must say that in a lot of ways I miss being over there. At least there I felt like I was doing something meaningful with my life. Of course I was though, what we are doing there is a very noble cause and as you all know I tried for a third straight deployment while I was still there.

To come home and go back to being a truck driver is almost enough to make me hang myself. The only people that can afford to have stuff shipped to their houses are the upper middle class and the rich folks,,,, most of which we all know to be Dems and Libs. these people look at me with PITY ARRRGG.
It pisses me off that every day I have to answer questions to them about the tats I have that they can see that show them I am a soldier and that I am proud to be one. And the all have the nerve to tell me they are SORRY I had to go overseas to fight in this war. Imagine how pissed they get when I tell them that I spent to years over there because I VOLENTEERED to go and that I would gladly go back over to keep fighting for the Iraqis because they are to cowardly to go.

Any way I am back and will be for a little while though, I must admit that my heart still pulls at me to go back to Iraq so who knows.....

Sincerely, thanks for your service and welcome home!

I do like your answer to their "sorry" comment . . . that ought to shut up some of the idiots! [devil]

LenS said:
Sincerely, thanks for your service and welcome home!

I do like your answer to their "sorry" comment . . . that ought to shut up some of the idiots! [devil]

Once could only wish, but as Shiller noted, "Mit der Dummheit, kampfen Götter selbst vergebens." (Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.)

Ken

Tank said:
...I tell them that I spent to years over there because I VOLENTEERED to go and that I would gladly go back over to keep fighting for the Iraqis because they are to cowardly to go......

+1000 ! Thanks for serving Tank.

Thank you for your service, Tank.

I just wanna share a quick story, somewhat related to Tank's being apologized to about the service, that happened today while I was at work...

A mother came in to the pharmacy to pick up her son's prescription today. I noticed he had the prescription coverage given by Tricare (provider for the Services) and mentioned that it was a $0.00 copay! I said it was good to know someone is trying to help our boys, and started to ask about her son. She said he is in the Army. I then told her to please thank him for his service...She almost started to cry when I said that, and said that I would be suprised how many people haven't/wouldn't bother to say such a thing, and that she really appreciated hearing it. She thanked me and went on her way.

+2. Thank you for keeping us safe, Tank. Thanks for guarding our freedoms with your life. Even the small-minded idiots need protecting...

Welcome back and thank you. I am sure your wife appreciates having you home for awhile. I know your heart is telling you one thing, since I also know Alan is feeling the same and talking of a second time already.
Enjoy your time home. I also like your replies. Alan has a tat he got when he was on R&R that shows where he was and for how long. I'm sure someone will say something at some point.
Spoil your wife for awhile while you are here before going back.

Yea, thank you for your service...

ANd HEY!! I get things shipped to my house and I don't pitty you. I thank you guys for both doing what you do and bringing me things from places that I wouldn't otherwise be able to get.

So you get two thanks for me. One for your service, and another for bringing me my stuff! [smile]

Tank said:
The only people that can afford to have stuff shipped to their houses are the upper middle class and the rich folks,,,, most of which we all know to be Dems and Libs.
Not all of us. (I'm not sure I'd call myself "upper" middle class, either - lots of folks will tell you that I have no class!)

Tank said:
these people look at me with PITY ARRRGG.
It pisses me off that every day I have to answer questions to them about the tats I have that they can see that show them I am a soldier and that I am proud to be one.
Tank, if you ever show up at my house with a delivery and I ask you about your tattoos, I'm just as liable to ask where you got them done. [grin] Not to mention telling you thanks for your service and telling you about my cousins who were over there.

Not all civilians have their heads jammed up their rears. Some of us appreciate what you do.

Ross

I appreciate all the thanks, please everyone remember that I am not the one that deserves it though. These guys do;

SSG Grey
SGT Sheehan
SGT Bean
SGT Normandy

May they all rest in peace knowing they have fought the battle with honor and say it through to their very end.

These are the ones that deserve the real thanks for their service. It is the ease with wich this country forgets them and the sacrifice they have made that pisses me off soo badly. It is not the folks here on this forum that I have aproblem with FAR from it. YOu all have showed me soo much support it is not expressible. I write here because it is a proven sounding board that I can use to try to bring these issues to light.

Hardly a day goes by that someone does not that me for my service. And for that I am glad. On the other side of that coin though NEVER does a day go by that I can avoid being told that I was wrong for going over or that they are sorry for me having to go or that I should rot in hell for fighting in such an unjust war. It is these comments that are so pervasive and yet are so little heard about. We who have come home from the war have to face this accosting daily. The only way to avoid them is to hide the fact that we were ever there. I AM TOO PROUD OF MY SERVICE TO HIDE IT. Thus I must face these comments daily.

When will America wakea realize she has lost her will and lost sight of what is right and wrong? When will the people decide to stand behind the president they put in office? And when will I as a soldier of this great land be able to proudly display that I am a soldier without fear of reprisal?

Oh how far we have come from what the Founders wanted for this country...
We are supposed to be a the "land of the free, home of the brave" and a "beacon of hope" for the rest of the world. Why is it that now when we take up that task and help those around the world that need it are we being accosted by our OWN people for it. Do they not teach in the schools anymore what the founders faught for???

Tank, one of the reasons so many of us VETS make sure you are thanked and appreciated is because we will be damned if anyservice member has to endure anything remotely like what our Viet Nam vets had to.
Unfortunately we live in the wrong part of the country, but in the midwest it truly is a whole different ball game. We were amazed, when we were down in Missouri last year.
Glenn and I make an effort to let anyone wearing the uniform know they are appreciated, and yes we get some surprising looks for it.
Now if we ever meet up we'll definately do the same for you. Remember some of us that wore the uniform after VietNam, it was not cool to even mention you were in the military, the tides turned after Beirut. The vocal minority shouldn't get to you and don't let them, and be proud of your service. Don't ever feel ashamed. Wear your uniform with pride, and the rest of us will do our part too.

Tank said:
I appreciate all the thanks, please everyone remember that I am not the one that deserves it though. These guys do;

SSG Grey
SGT Sheehan
SGT Bean
SGT Normandy

TISSUE WARNING!!! I need it even if you don't!

Just so everybody else knows, I knew every one of these guys.

Jamie Grey was a coworker at both my full time job and a maintenance guy in the unit.

Kevin Sheehan, I've known since 1991, we were in the same Battery (Field Arty) for 7 years. He was a Field Arty surveyor in the unit. I moved to another Battery in the Battalion, but I support the entire Battalion.

Allen (sp?) Bean, I've known since his first Driill Weekend. He was in the DS Maintenance Detachment, and I worked real close with those guys. He got called in March 2003, when I initially was given "a tap on the shoulder". I was going to be his supervisor, but they didn't like one of my meds (I've since quit taking it). That mission got cancelled after a couple of months duty stateside prepping to go.

Bill Normandy was a member of the same Battery I'm in. Ironically, I knew him the least of the 4. He was an Ammo guy, he drove the big PLS's we have, and hauled ammo. He died of a heart attack in Kuwait, before going into Iraq. Stress definitely got him, and I'm sure anxiety was a major part of it. Some folks would say fear, but I won't. We had guys that went to a lot of trouble to go out on a Medical Discharge when they processed. Bill wasn't one of them. He had a job to do, abd he went to do it. That's courage, not fear in my book.

Just so everybody knows, this is a pretty emotional subject for me. I consider all 4 guys to be really good friends.

Finding out about Jamie Grey was the absolute worst hour of my life. We were at Summer Camp, they knew somebody was killed, but not who yet. The First Sergeant (also a friend, as is his father) of the unit I was working with came to tell me what he knew, knowing my son was a part of the unit overseas. He rightly assumed that I'd rather hear it from him, than through the grapevine, or at the same time they told everybody (if it was my son). My First Sergeant (or Battery Commander) doesn't have that kind of class, sad to say. Well, after an hour, he came back to the Motor Pool, and told me they knew who, and it wasn't my son. MASSIVE ANXIETY was over. Another hour or os later, and they told us who it was. Boy, worst Guilt Feelings of my entire life.

Sorry for the ramble.

And Sue, don't worry about Tank wanting to go back. If he thinks about going, his Section Chief is going to talk him OUT of it for now. [wink]

Last edited:
Tank hun - for those people who say...

On the other side of that coin though NEVER does a day go by that I can avoid being told that I was wrong for going over or that they are sorry for me having to go or that I should rot in hell for fighting in such an unjust war. It is these comments that are so pervasive and yet are so little heard about. We who have come home from the war have to face this accosting daily.

...you tell them that if it wasn't for people like you and everyone you've served with, they wouldn't have the freedom to say those things. How about, "Well ma'am, (or sir), if it wasn't for folks like me willing to defend this country and our way of life, your sorry ass wouldn't have the freedom to insult those of us who defend it for you, so in light of that, feel free to pucker up and kiss my ass." Say it with a smile and walk away.

And...
The only way to avoid them is to hide the fact that we were ever there. I AM TOO PROUD OF MY SERVICE TO HIDE IT.

Don't EVER hide it. You wave your pride like a HUGE American flag, and you wave it in their face.

Thank you, for the service you've given and the service you want to continue giving. And thanks to Mrs. Tank for her sacrifice in giving up her time with you for you to serve. This country can never repay what both of you have given.

And lastly....you haven't decked anyone yet?????? [smile] [wink]

Nickle said:
He died of a heart attack in Kuwait, before going into Iraq. Stress definitely got him, and I'm sure anxiety was a major part of it. Some folks would say fear, but I won't. We had guys that went to a lot of trouble to go out on a Medical Discharge when they processed. Bill wasn't one of them. He had a job to do, abd he went to do it. That's courage, not fear in my book.
Roger - as Robert Heinlein once said:
Courage is the complement of fear. A man who is fearless cannot be courageous. (He is also a fool.)

Your friend may have been scared, but obviously courageous enough to go ahead and deploy anyway. That makes him even more of a man in my eyes, not less.

Nickle, if you are able to talk him out of it good luck,because we won't even try with Alan. He informed us this weekend he already has the paperwork going so he can try and get on with Justin's unit when he gets back. He will be back in time to go in Oct.
They're all heroes. They will never be forgotten. Also my sig line says it all.

I'm proud of what you and the rest of our Army does. You are truly heroes. I think you may be surprised at how many people actually think this... not just on this board. Bless you and your colleagues.

Lugnut said:
I'm proud of what you and the rest of our Army does. You are truly heroes. I think you may be surprised at how many people actually think this... not just on this board. Bless you and your colleagues.

This is typical of the good responses I hear. It really brings a tear to my eye and a lump in my throat every time I hear it. I'm not great, I just work with some fantastic young Americans. I'm very proud to be a leader of a few of these folks, and I hope I continue to measure up to the task. Some folks talk about their "dream job". Well, I've got mine. The hours and conditions can really SUCK, and you can get killed doing it, but, having the troops that we do makes it all worth it.

Lynne said:
Thank you, for the service you've given and the service you want to continue giving. And thanks to Mrs. Tank for her sacrifice in giving up her time with you for you to serve. This country can never repay what both of you have given.

And lastly....you haven't decked anyone yet?????? [smile] [wink]

once again thank you for the sentiment. It means more to me than you will ever know. It really helps to KNOW that there really are people out there that feel proud of us for what we have done and what we continue to do.

No I have not decked any of them yet, not even the one that hit me in the face. I know the court would side against me and there is no way I will do time over one of these f**ktards. I know that we do not have it like those coming back from Nam did and THANK YOU for making sure it did not happen. All I am saying is that, at least here in New England, there is a lot of stuff being said and done that is not right.

Nickle said:
TISSUE WARNING!!! I need it even if you don't!

Just so everybody else knows, I knew every one of these guys.

Jamie Grey was a coworker at both my full time job and a maintenance guy in the unit.
[wink]

TISSUE WARNING
TISSUE WARNING
TISSUE WARNING

While I knew all of these guys as well I knew none better then Jamie Grey. He was a extraordainary friend, an expert teacher and role model, and the finest soldier I have ever known. He taught me more about being a mechanic then anyone else, and somehow in the process taught me how to be a better man.

I was there when he got hit and took part in the ensuing firefight. I will never forget the feeling of numbness then hatred then just pain that went over and through me. We all loved this man. Our platoon would never be the same, COULD never be the same. He was not related to any of us, nevertheless we had just lost a brother. A treasued family member. Our platoon still feels his loss whenever we are together.

I couldn't care less what your stand was about GOING to war...but we did and we are there now....

DO NOT MAKE OUR LOST LOVED ONES TO HAVE DIED IN VEIN.

we are there and we need to stay there until the job is done and done RIGHT.

Tank said:
I was there when he got hit and took part in the ensuing firefight. I will never forget the feeling of numbness then hatred then just pain that went over and through me. We all loved this man. Our platoon would never be the same, COULD never be the same. He was not related to any of us, nevertheless we had just lost a brother. A treasued family member. Our platoon still feels his loss whenever we are together.

I couldn't care less what your stand was about GOING to war...but we did and we are there now....

DO NOT MAKE OUR LOST LOVED ONES TO HAVE DIED IN VEIN.

we are there and we need to stay there until the job is done and done RIGHT.
For what it's worth, Tank, you have my respect as well as my thanks. I hope I can get to meet you face to face next time I get up to VT.

Ross

Tank said:
No I have not decked any of them yet, not even the one that hit me in the face. I know the court would side against me and there is no way I will do time over one of these f**ktards. I know that we do not have it like those coming back from Nam did and THANK YOU for making sure it did not happen. All I am saying is that, at least here in New England, there is a lot of stuff being said and done that is not right.

Someone actually HIT you???

Jesus H. Tap-Dancing Christ, but that makes my blood boil. I can't say any more, because it would involve lots of curse words, veiled and naked threats of bodily injury, and a whole mess of other stuff the mods would have to clean up...

Let me just apologize for the sorry excuse of a human being that would do such a thing. NO ONE deserves that, ESPECIALLY someone that's put their ass on the line to keep said sorry excuse free.

f*** them. And thank you. You are a FAR better man than I, Tank.

Tank, I'll say thank you a second time. You've got more self control than I do. I got out of the Navy a little while after 'Nam ended and I got my share of sh*t but nobody ever took things that far. I have to respect you not going down to that idiot's level. God bless you man.

Dwarven ... and to the rest, thank you for your heartfelt thanks. I know you all mean it and that there are a lot of folks out there that feel the same way. Just remember that there are a lot out there that feel the other way.

Unfortunately due to the way the human mind works the bad things are much more memerable and strike a stronger impression. Therefore as I have said before, it is not those that say thank you or even nothing at all that are the problem here. It is the ones that are doing and saying the bad things that are making the situation so bad.

I mean look at it this way;

In the morning you are deliverying 6,000 lbs of ammo on two pallets to a guys home, in the process of handing down the boxes one at a time the guy sees the dogtags you are wearing cause they came out of your shit. Then he proceeds to tell you thatnk you for your service and asking all kinds of stuff about where you went and what you did and thanks you several more times.

That is great and a wonderful memory!!!!!!

In the afternoonyou back your freight truck 2/3 of a mile down a driveway that is way to narrow and twisty all the way in to the house where you are to deliver three pallets of slate floor tile (weighing in at about 9,000lbs). Here you are met by the owner who wants it brought in the house and neatly stacked in a certain place. You tell him no it is just your job to get it off the truck and from there it is the owners responsibiility. YOu finally get it sorted out by calling dispatch and you are to unload it by hand to the ground and drive away. The same thing happens again and the customer sees your tags and asks if you have been deployed. To which you of course proudly say yes. Then for the next 45 min it takes you to unload the tile (by hand with NO help) you have to listen to his diatribe about how we never should have gone over and that any soldier who goes is a murderer and ...........

Which on do you think will be the memerable point for the day?

I hear you on that. Just don't let the libtards get to you. Remember they are the minority, but they scream the loudest. We truly do try to go out of our way to make sure NO servicemember feels that way. I will be damned if I will even let it happen.

Back
Top Bottom