TPMS part of inspection?

Your joking right?

if the tire is low enough it can severely affect your steering and braking.

yea, those are not important.... carry on.

Even if it is somewhat low, it lowers the load carrying capacity. That was the problem with the Ford Explorer. The Explorer was prone to rollover so Ford solved the problem by speccing a lower tire pressure and reducing the lateral forces the tire will generate. In other words it makes the car slide before tipping. The problem was it reduced the load capacity and increased the heat generation within the tire carcass causing separation. Some seriously shitting engineering.

Your joking right?

if the tire is low enough it can severely affect your steering and braking.

yea, those are not important.... carry on.

Well it is not if you buy one of those cars that can back up into it's own parking spot at the push of of silly button.

I learned how to do it right the first time then moved on in later years on how to teach others to do it in a big truck.

Even if it is somewhat low, it lowers the load carrying capacity. That was the problem with the Ford Explorer. The Explorer was prone to rollover so Ford solved the problem by speccing a lower tire pressure and reducing the lateral forces the tire will generate. In other words it makes the car slide before tipping. The problem was it reduced the load capacity and increased the heat generation within the tire carcass causing separation. Some seriously shitting engineering.

You do know why the Exploder TP was changed. The truck rides like shit due to spring rates. The CHEAPEST thing for FORD to do was dump tire pressure to soften the ride. When it blew up in their faces they blamed it on Firestone. Both lost.
Yes, we still own a 2003 Sport that might get 500 miles a year as a second auto at a second place. Too mint to dump for a fun 4WD and not worth what the trade was back in 2008. Hasn't seen salt from 08 and had it Fluid Filmed.
I think it was Buddy Guy who sang "It's cheaper to keep her".

You do know why the Exploder TP was changed. The truck rides like shit due to spring rates. The CHEAPEST thing for FORD to do was dump tire pressure to soften the ride. When it blew up in their faces they blamed it on Firestone. Both lost.
Yes, we still own a 2003 Sport that might get 500 miles a year as a second auto at a second place. Too mint to dump for a fun 4WD and not worth what the trade was back in 2008. Hasn't seen salt from 08 and had it Fluid Filmed.
I think it was Buddy Guy who sang "It's cheaper to keep her".

The reason they lowered the pressure wasn't the ride. They lowered it so it wouldn't roll over as easily (less pressure means less tire grip which meant it would slide instead of tip).

This is why I hate TPMS. It's just another stupid idiot light.

Check your tire pressure weekly. Best to check after the car has been idle and on cold pavement for at least 12 hours. Adjust tire pressure as necessary.

</thread>

TPMS is overall annoying.
its like having a sensor to tell me to blow my nose or wipe my arse....unnecessary.
anyone w 2 brain cells will check tire pressure anyway.

TPMS is psychologically the same as a loaded chamber indicator.
anyone who actually trusts it is a retard.

I'm on my third car with TPMS and never had a luck of trouble with it. I do wish it was user controlled though... Same way DRL should be settable by users.

How exactly do you disable the TPMS system?? I was not aware you could.

If you just remove the TMPS sensors in the 4 tires, you would have a constant "low air" warning

I desoldered the LED and added a resistor on a car once.

I check my tires pressure the old fashioned way. The tpms system is too quirky and expensive to maintain. The batteries in the direct sensors die after 5 years and there is no standard system to reset them. Each car is different.

I just had my car inspected with the TPMS light on. They didn't care.

One of the transmitters is dead. Got a new one off eBay for $50, will pay a tire place $10 to install it and then reset the system myself as the methods can be found online and some can be DIY. Tpms is just more of a headache than what it's worth.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Great haha I got new rims and tires without the monitors and my light is always on. So this will suck now

Why? I just got a sticker for my wife's Nissan Armada yesterday and the light has been on for 4+ months as 3 of the sensors are no longer reading. I asked the guy if he could check to see if they needed to be reprogrammed and he said nope, the batteries in them are dead. If you want I can replace all 4 and reprogram them for you but it will cost around $430. I asked him if it would pass without fixing and he said why not, you don't need those.

Well...I stand corrected. I went to the ma.gov site and it is not listed as a requirement. This was told to me by Monroe at BJ's in Auburn last month when we had new tires put on. Still pisses me off though. 2010 RAV 4 and the thing has been on intermittently since a few months after purchase 3 years ago. First new set of skins and they told me that tire goop was used and crapped the sensor, $80 to replace.

Oh, and if you don't check your tires regularly, you DO deserve a bonk on the head. You are putting money in the state's pocket with your added fuel consumption. DO NOT FEED THE BEAST. Far from a safety issue. Don't drive like an idiot and certainly not in a vehicle with a propensity for rollover.

I bought some tires from BJ"s in Stoneham that were installed by the adjacent Monroe's. All I wanted was tire installation and balance, but the shop manager really pushed me for a front end alignment which I didn't need. After 60,000 miles the front tires showed absolutely no signs of abnormal wear. When I mentioned this to the manager, he said "you can't be too careful". I do all of my own service and pay close attention to the tires, but won't spring for an alignment unless its necessary. That was the last time I bought tires from BJ's and the last time I had anything to do with Monroe's.

PS The last truck I owned, a Toyota Tacoma, had a TPMS which gave faulty readings on a regular basis. Given the choice, I would rather monitor my TP the old fashioned way.

Last edited:
The reason they lowered the pressure wasn't the ride. They lowered it so it wouldn't roll over as easily (less pressure means less tire grip which meant it would slide instead of tip).

I think you have that backwards.
Lower pressure increases the size of the contact patch on the road, which equals more grip.
This is why you lower your pressure for driving on sand, mud, ice and snow.

TPMS systems were a big item at SEMA last year.
Lot's of companies selling new "smart" valve stems and systems for programming them.
The problems come from each car company using their own systems, there is no industry standard that they all use.
Chrysler especially is creating a lot of problems for the repair industry because their proprietary TPMS system requires a trip to the dealer to program the ECU to recognize a replacement valve stem.
TPMS was originally mandated by the DOT for new cars that were sold in the US with run-flats and no spare tire.
Back in the late 90's, the .gov told them "OK, you can sell cars without spare tires if you equip them with run-flats, but you also have to add a TPMS so drivers know when a tire is going flat"
Since then, the gov has tightened the regs and gone as far as mandating all cars have TPMS regardless of the tire type they're delivered with.
Yes, lot's of high-end cars don't come with spare tires anymore, such as Corvettes, BMW's, Mercedes, Mini Coopers, etc.

Well it is not if you buy one of those cars that can back up into it's own parking spot at the push of of silly button.

I learned how to do it right the first time then moved on in later years on how to teach others to do it in a big truck.

What in the shit are you talking about???

It's for the children. Because putting more air in your tires gives better gas mileage which means less CO2 which means no global warming which means the oceans will stop rising which means the polar bears will not go extinct.

Isn't high pressure also a safety issue?

I usually see the light on twice per year. Start of winter and beginning of warm weather. Still waiting.

I think you have that backwards.
Lower pressure increases the size of the contact patch on the road, which equals more grip.
This is why you lower your pressure for driving on sand, mud, ice and snow.

TPMS systems were a big item at SEMA last year.
Lot's of companies selling new "smart" valve stems and systems for programming them.
The problems come from each car company using their own systems, there is no industry standard that they all use.
Chrysler especially is creating a lot of problems for the repair industry because their proprietary TPMS system requires a trip to the dealer to program the ECU to recognize a replacement valve stem.
TPMS was originally mandated by the DOT for new cars that were sold in the US with run-flats and no spare tire.
Back in the late 90's, the .gov told them "OK, you can sell cars without spare tires if you equip them with run-flats, but you also have to add a TPMS so drivers know when a tire is going flat"
Since then, the gov has tightened the regs and gone as far as mandating all cars have TPMS regardless of the tire type they're delivered with.
Yes, lot's of high-end cars don't come with spare tires anymore, such as Corvettes, BMW's, Mercedes, Mini Coopers, etc.

Tires are designed to have even contact at a given pressure. Too much pressure and the center of the tire tread wears, too little amd the outer egdes wear out. Low pressure is needed for sand so that the tire forms a cap to ride on the top as opposed to sinking in. Look at pressures in racing tires, it is a valuable tool for stagger etc. but the surface in contact with the track is always 100% of the tire for optimum performance. Why do you think there are holes for depth gauges on racing rubber?

Well there is a way that the people who Race new corvettes use,
get a 8-12 section of 4 in thick wall PVC pipe and the needed endcaps.
drill a hole in one end cap that will accept the TPMS stem.,
link all 4 sensors to the car
drop 3 sensors in the pipe and install the endcap with the mounted sensor
inflate the now sealed PVC tank to whatever your car needs
mount the tank in the trunk or where ever.

Race tire run at very different pressures then runflat street tires, the computer on the vettes would freak out at some random point( usually as you were approaching a corner at a high rate of speed) and activate many systems like traction control, stability control, ABS, and even cut engine power to slow the car down on what it thinks is a flat tire. this can upset the handling and make for a really bad day

All the above being said, TPMS do serve a needed function and are critical on todays cars with runflat tires. Add to this that most people are Idiots and that tires are the #1 most critical part on any car( everything else on the car is just there to help the tires) and are ignored untill they cause an issue.

Tires are designed to have even contact at a given pressure. Too much pressure and the center of the tire tread wears, too little amd the outer egdes wear out. Low pressure is needed for sand so that the tire forms a cap to ride on the top as opposed to sinking in. Look at pressures in racing tires, it is a valuable tool for stagger etc. but the surface in contact with the track is always 100% of the tire for optimum performance. Why do you think there are holes for depth gauges on racing rubber?

I know this. I would like to think that dealer service departments would know this, and really should expect that a store that sells tires almost exclusively would know this... but every time I end up at a dealer they "adjust" my tire pressure to the bead seating pressure on the sidewall instead of the correct inflation pressure on the vehicle placard.

I just bought new tires they send me out the door at 40 psi. The placard on the door says 26 psi front, 29 psi rear. I have them down to about 30 psi and am still a little high based on how my crayon marks on the tread are wearing. I will probably end up about where the placard says.

I have an issue with the failure rate. Some of these are failing after two years! At $150-$200 per tire, it's crazy money to pay for something that used to be monitored with a kick, or a thump.(or a gauge) Another nanny state intrusion into our freedom. (freedom to travel, unmolested!)

Edit: I was told by my mechanic, even overfilling by a couple pounds, or more, will cause the light to activate. They are VERY sensitive.

That's my objection to the whole thing : the nanny state BS and the DIRECT effect on your wallet.

I grew up when you could buy a $300 car - and limp that thing along for a few years if you were willing to get your hands dirty and spend some time fixing the thing. For poor people - or college kids - this was a survival strategy. Now with all of the mandated BS, the airbags and the TPMS and now the backup cameras and all of it - cars have gotten so complicated that the average person has no hope in hell of fixing a lot that goes wrong with them.

My Suburban flunked inspection TWICE in the last 3 years because the damn airbag light was on. All in all - it's cost mey around $1000 over those last three years - to basically just get a light to turn off.

I would choose to NOT have an airbag in the car - if I was even given a choice. But I'm not - and it keeps costing me a crapload of money because SOMEBODY ELSE decided I "need" this thing - and they require that it be working.

Stuff like this is exactly why the Chinese are taking things over and why all of the jobs in this country are going away.

In the larger picture - it's a recipe for complete and utter failure as a nation because we have over-complicated and over-bureaucratized the shit out of everything.

I like the TPMS in my car - and it's now 8 years old and has been completely reliable - BUT: I completely disagree with making this crap mandatory.

I have an issue with the failure rate. Some of these are failing after two years! At $150-$200 per tire, it's crazy money to pay for something that used to be monitored with a kick, or a thump.(or a gauge) Another nanny state intrusion into our freedom. (freedom to travel, unmolested!)

Edit: I was told by my mechanic, even overfilling by a couple pounds, or more, will cause the light to activate. They are VERY sensitive.

That must a car by car thing - because the one on mine definitely has an acceptable *range*. Below 30 pounds it starts to bitch - I don't know what the high limit is because my tires never get there.

Last edited:
Well there is a way that the people who Race new corvettes use,
get a 8-12 section of 4 in thick wall PVC pipe and the needed endcaps.
drill a hole in one end cap that will accept the TPMS stem.,
link all 4 sensors to the car
drop 3 sensors in the pipe and install the endcap with the mounted sensor
inflate the now sealed PVC tank to whatever your car needs
mount the tank in the trunk or where ever.

Didn't realize you could do this with some units but won't work for me. Some TPMS (and I'm guessing most newer units) require rotation to function, apparently to extend battery life. For now, my TPMS light is a "snow tires installed" light.

TPMS do serve a needed function and are critical

All modern cars have ABS and can use the ABS sensors as a sufficient means to monitor tire pressure. Otherwise, I agree with you. A low tire pressure situation can occur at any point on a long trip and no amount of checking your pressure daily, weekly, etc. will protect you from that situation. Is it a risk I concern myself with? No. Do I want it since the tech is already in the car via the ABS? Sure, why wouldn't I?

Last edited:
That must a car by car thing - because the one on mine definitely has an acceptable *range*. Below 30 pounds it starts to bitch - I don't know what the high limit is because my tires never get there.

It is a car-by-car thing.

The factory service manual for my car actually has two low pressure ranges depending on which wheel and tire package the car comes with. There is no high pressure trigger point

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom