Transportation for Competition

I have been searching around with not much result.

I am a Vermont resident who is thinking about taking up some competition shooting. I was wondering how I would go about transporting my firearms to neighboring states. What if any permits I will need and so forth. NH is easy as I will likely just get a nonRes LTC. For Ma that option is a little cost prohibitive and NY offers no such animal.

Am I limited to NH and VT meets?

Some for instances:
How would I get my gear to a three gun in NY?
Is there an option less than an LTC to transport in MA? Long gun or Hand gun?

In any instance I would imagine the gear would have to be locked in the trunk but beyond that what hoops should I expect to jump through?

Thanks for your time!
-Dustin

Unloaded and locked in the trunk and you're good to go in NH without any permit. MA has an exception to the requirement for LTC/FID to possess for competition. You should bring a copy of your registration or a flyer for the competition. I can't help you on NY.

There are two non-resident exceptions in MA. The first (C 140 S 129C) allows non-residents who have a hunting permit to possess rifles and shotguns, and allows other non-residents to travel in or through MA with them unloaded and in a locked case and to use them on a firing range. The second (C 140 S 131G) allows non-residents to carry a "firearm" (a.k.a handgun) for the purposes of competition or hunting, if you have a license to carry permit in your home state. But it doesn't apply to VT residents, unfortunately, because VT doesn't issue permits.

JDubois, Thanks for those quotes. I will have to look those up and read them first person. 129C solves an immediate problem of mine. I like to shoot long gun with my grandfather who lives in MA and have waited for situations which involved him carrying all the equipment(He is LTC-A). It will be nice to freely shoot with the old man. Showing up your mentor is always fun.

I will probably get the NH LTC just for the ease of the process and to have something in my wallet. I don't believe that will get me around the 131G stipulation though. I guess I will just have to keep reading.

Thanks everyone for your input!! Now I have some starting points for my searches!

-Dustin

Back
Top Bottom