• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Waiting almost a year for my non-resident permit, need advice

I applied for my non-resident permit with the Foster PD. Made sure I gave them everything they asked for. I sent my application in last January registered mail and I know that they received it. Have not heard a word. Sent a couple emails and made a phone call but no one has replied. While I am not happy with a crazy long wait time, it would be nice to know that I am in line or if something is incorrect, let me know that. Does anyone know if this is a normal thing? Should I just wait or should I keep contacting them?

You would not have to wait that long for a response from the AGs office.

I applied for my non-resident permit with the Foster PD. Made sure I gave them everything they asked for. I sent my application in last January registered mail and I know that they received it. Have not heard a word. Sent a couple emails and made a phone call but no one has replied. While I am not happy with a crazy long wait time, it would be nice to know that I am in line or if something is incorrect, let me know that. Does anyone know if this is a normal thing? Should I just wait or should I keep contacting them?
That seems excessively long. I got it about this time last year. It took 6 months from the time I dropped the app in mail. Actually MA non resident was a bit faster.

Problem with Foster is it a popular place cause they have a no BS app. But they have a HUGE backlog. A guy at my local club said they were backlogged over 9 months now. And while I don’t have first hand knowledge there was only one guy handling apps last I heard. Foster is small PD (think Hooterville). Lovely scenery but not much there.

Avoid the AG…they are “may issue” and a pain I’ve heard.

If you don’t want to wait maybe you apply in another town like Cranston. But your qual
Is only good for a year I believe.

If you’re a year in not sure what to say.

That seems excessively long. I got it about this time last year. It took 6 months from the time I dropped the app in mail. Actually MA non resident was a bit faster.

Problem with Foster is it a popular place cause they have a no BS app. But they have a HUGE backlog. A guy at my local club said they were backlogged over 9 months now. And while I don’t have first hand knowledge there was only one guy handling apps last I heard. Foster is small PD (think Hooterville). Lovely scenery but not much there.

Avoid the AG…they are “may issue” and a pain I’ve heard.

If you don’t want to wait maybe you apply in another town like Cranston. But your qual
Is only good for a year I believe.

If you’re a year in not sure what to say.
Ahh a huge backlog with a smaller workforce. That would explain it. I can't get any response but if there is only one person handling this, I am thinking that they don't have time to answer the million emails a day. I looked up Cranston and they are not taking any applications at the moment. I am just going to wait a bit longer. Might as well. Then I wont have to re-qualify and all that. I had a bit of trouble finding an NRA person who would help qualify here in Maryland. Most instructors are very busy with CCW classes. The instructor that I found allowed me to shoot at the end of one of his classes. Thank you very much for your response. Sure is nice to know that we have a helpful community here

You would not have to wait that long for a response from the AGs office.
The AG's office still clings to "may issue" claiming it is consistent with Bruen since town permits are a shall issue alternative.

I looked up Cranston and they are not taking any applications at the moment.
is this still true? Website State of Rhode Island: Cranston Police Department says

Attention CCW Applicant: Due to a high volume of CCW applications, the Cranston Police Department will no longer accept applications from in-state residents holding out-of-state CCW permits who do not reside in or own a business in the City of Cranston.

seems to me that means Cranston won't issue to other RI residents from other towns? Or did some peon f*** up the website.

is this still true? Website State of Rhode Island: Cranston Police Department says

seems to me that means Cranston won't issue to other RI residents from other towns? Or did some peon f*** up the website.
The site does say they will process an application for residents of other RI towns if the CoP of the town of residency will write a letter saying they can't process the application.

The site does say they will process an application for residents of other RI towns if the CoP of the town of residency will write a letter saying they can't process the application.
Be sure to confirm you have the latest Cranston app.... may be friendly to out of state applicants but they now require medical release forms from many RI / MA psychiatric facilities.

Back
Top Bottom