• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Transporting an Air Gun Through Mass...

Christ, I can't believe I have to ask this question, but better safe than sorry ...

We'll be heading up to Maine for Labor Day weekend. I had planned on bringing an Air Rifle to do some plinking and target shooting out in the woods where we'll be staying. It is a "Grown Up" Air Rifle, nothing like the Daisy Red Ryders of our youth. Shoots a .22 cal pellet in excess of 900 fps and can easily take down small varmints and yard pests.

So, the question is ...

Does Massachusets have any ridiculous laws controlling the possession or transport of AIR guns, that would label me a dangerous felon the moment I crossed the border into Mass with a "toy" that I was able to purchase in my home State without even having to show the gentleman behind the counter my driver's license?

My preferred route to get from my home in NH to our place in Maine takes me briefly behind the Iron Curtain and into Massachusetts (93S through Salem,NH into Methuen, East on 213, then up 495 until I get back into NH in Seabrook). This is generally the route I prefer to take because it saves time, but if there's any risk of violating any of Massachusetts numerous and vexing general laws I can take a longer alternate route.

As long as you're over 18 years of age, you're good. No special transportation laws or regs.

Massachusetts General Laws
Chapter 269: Section 12B. Air rifles; possession by minors; shooting

Section 12B. No minor under the age of eighteen shall have an air rifle or so-called BB gun in his possession while in any place to which the public has a right of access unless he is accompanied by an adult or unless he is the holder of a sporting or hunting license and has on his person a permit from the chief of police of the town in which he resides granting him the right of such possession. No person shall discharge a BB shot, pellet or other object from an air rifle or so-called BB gun into, from or across any street, alley, public way or railroad or railway right of way, and no minor under the age of eighteen shall discharge a BB shot, pellet or other object from an air rifle or BB gun unless he is accompanied by an adult or is the holder of a sporting or hunting license. Whoever violates this section shall be punished by a fine of not more than one hundred dollars, and the air rifle or BB gun or other weapon shall be confiscated. Upon a conviction of a violation of this section the air rifle or BB gun or other weapon shall, by the written authority of the court, be forwarded to the colonel of the state police, who may dispose of said article in the same manner as prescribed in section ten.
http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/269-12b.htm

Great! Thanks. For a moment I felt a little ridiculous asking the above question, but then ... it's Mass we're talking, so who knows what zany laws they're going to come up with next!

Great! Thanks. For a moment I felt a little ridiculous asking the above question, but then ... it's Mass we're talking, so who knows what zany laws they're going to come up with next!
You're welcome.
I don't blame you in the least.
BTW: No storage laws either.

Back
Top Bottom