Tried to buy a SA 1911 RO

Holy Shit is this thing tight. With mag in almost impossible to depress slide release so slide goes forward. Drop mag 1/2" and much easier. Is it the mags? I need to purchase ammo from target sports, what's good target ammo?
for starters its not a slide release its a slide lock. A slight tug on the slide and it will unlock.
That said, use it shoot it wear it out fix it shoot it sum mourz! My short thumb does not really reach the the slide stop anyway

Last edited:
Keep it up and you won't have to worry about that. Then you will be replacing parts.
Holy Shit is this thing tight. With mag in almost impossible to depress slide release so slide goes forward. Drop mag 1/2" and much easier. Is it the mags? I need to purchase ammo from target sports, what's good target ammo?
185 grain cast semi wad cutters. Jacketed work too.
i reload and the hornady 185 XTP hollow points are doing well also.
at this point any ammo is good.

Last edited:
I texted one of my former co-workers about the B's and Nascar and mentioned I bought a .45 and bitched I can't find any ammo. She replied she has around 2000rds and asked if I wanted it. HUH! She's not a gun owner so I replied are you serious and she calls me and says talk to my husband. Wally tells me his
late Father was a big 1911 shooter and he and his sister grew up shooting and reloading. When he was cleaning out parents house a few years ago after they died he came across a stash of military ball .45 cal ammo. He thinks around 1500rds, going to look at it tomorrow and if any good we agreed on $10.0 a box.

I texted one of my former co-workers about the B's and Nascar and mentioned I bought a .45 and bitched I can't find any ammo. She replied she has around 2000rds and asked if I wanted it. HUH! She's not a gun owner so I replied are you serious and she calls me and says talk to my husband. Wally tells me his
late Father was a big 1911 shooter and he and his sister grew up shooting and reloading. When he was cleaning out parents house a few years ago after they died he came across a stash of military ball .45 cal ammo. He thinks around 1500rds, going to look at it tomorrow and if any good we agreed on $10.0 a box.

That potentially could be of more value as collector ammo rather than plinking ammo. Based on the age and any original packaging.

Of course, we will need require pictures.

for starters its not a slide release its a slide lock. A slight tug on the slide and it will unlock.
That said, use it shoot it wear it out fix it shoot it sum mourz! My short thumb does not really reach the the slide stop anyway
you are correct but both my thumbs and index fingers are killing me trying to depress the slide lock. If I drop the mag 1/2" it's much easier so something is up with the mags. "I HAVE BLISTERS ON MY FINGERS", John Lennon.:)[rockon]

That potentially could be of more value as collector ammo rather than plinking ammo. Based on the age and any original packaging.

Of course, we will need require pictures.
Meeting him tomorrow at 1:30, pics show ammo in cardboard boxes that look like standard Mil issue. Only have pics of boxes in ammo can.

Looks like they change the roll marks. It looks more subtle

Bought it. Very stiff, with slide locked back and mag in can't release the slide. drop the mag and press release and no problem. recommendations for new mags? not thrilled with the Packmayr grips, will need to order VZ G10 grips. It will take a bit of practice to get the field stripping process down. I owned a S&W stainless 1911 years ago but sold it.
Stiff slide release when the mag is empty is not an issue. As someone else pointed out, you generally don’t want to release your slide on an empty chamber, particularly on a 1911. You always want to ride it closed on an empty chamber. When you chamber a round, the slide is slowed a bit by picking up a round from the magazine and then cushioned by the brass being chambered. When you release on on an empty chamber with no round in the mag (or no mag at all) the slide will hit harder (whether this really can cause a problem is up for debate, by why take chances). Since you really don’t want to be dropping the slide with an empty mag, the only real concern is if the release is that stiff with a loaded mag. Since a loaded mag will disengage the follower from the slide release the same way as dropping the mag does, I think you’ll find the release will work just fine for its intended purpose, dropping the slide to chamber a round on a fresh mag.

I speak from experience since several of my pistols (not just 1911s) have really strong slide stop engagement that is hard to disengage with the empty mag in place. I look on this as an advantage, as I have a very “thumbs forward” grip and have been known to ride a slide stop and keep it from engaging when the mag is empty. A really strong engagement prevents this.

Wilson etm, Tripp cobra some top end mags. Metal forms or Brownells ( think they are metal form) decent for cheaper.

Stiff slide release when the mag is empty is not an issue. As someone else pointed out, you generally don’t want to release your slide on an empty chamber, particularly on a 1911. You always want to ride it closed on an empty chamber. When you chamber a round, the slide is slowed a bit by picking up a round from the magazine and then cushioned by the brass being chambered. When you release on on an empty chamber with no round in the mag (or no mag at all) the slide will hit harder (whether this really can cause a problem is up for debate, by why take chances). Since you really don’t want to be dropping the slide with an empty mag, the only real concern is if the release is that stiff with a loaded mag. Since a loaded mag will disengage the follower from the slide release the same way as dropping the mag does, I think you’ll find the release will work just fine for its intended purpose, dropping the slide to chamber a round on a fresh mag.

I speak from experience since several of my pistols (not just 1911s) have really strong slide stop engagement that is hard to disengage with the empty mag in place. I look on this as an advantage, as I have a very “thumbs forward” grip and have been known to ride a slide stop and keep it from engaging when the mag is empty. A really strong engagement prevents this.
Thanks for the advice, looking at the ammo at 2pm now and if time allows will stop at Harvard on the way back. If not I will hit the range tomorrow. Will report back later on ammo purchase and practice session.

Nice, good old 230gn ball
Yup, what a find, Price was right. I need to persuade him to sell me the 03, he has paperwork from 1957. He showed me pic and it has the straight stock, I'm thinking Arsenal refinish and never issued. Serial Number says A3

Attachments

• Remington 03 Serial Number.JPG
    Remington 03 Serial Number.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 26
  • Remington 03.JPG
    Remington 03.JPG
    279.4 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Yup, what a find, Price was right. I need to persuade him to sell me the 03, he has paperwork from 1957. He showed me pic and it has the straight stock, I'm thinking Arsenal refinish and never issued. Serial Number says A3
Is it a DCM / NRA purchase?
My friends dad has one with origial papers and box. Much like yours it looks "unissued" i dont know enough to tell if it was rearsenaled or original.
IIRC , $26 in the early sixties.
nice rifle, love my A3 shoots well but its far from "original" bought it from a competitive shooter.

Last edited:
... Rona already killed off the weakest ones at this point, any dealer suffering at the beginning of this has already long run out of inventory to sell and can't get more etc. There are several in MA and NH that likely got hosed by this because they didnt have enough cred with distributors to get product allocation......
Wonder if the owner of the late Riley's
is kicking themselves for folding shop
not too long before the next dempanic...

Wonder if the owner of the late Riley's
is kicking themselves for folding shop
not too long before the next dempanic...

Well IIRC Ralph (the long time owner) sold it to his kids or someone else or some crap like that, and from what I understand they basically murdered it. Rileys was sort of in full derelict mode from the time before Trump was even elected.

Well IIRC Ralph (the long time owner) sold it to his kids or someone else or some crap like that, and from what I understand they basically murdered it. Rileys was sort of in full derelict mode from the time before Trump was even elected.
I'm sure it was a process not an event.

But if only knowing then what we know now,
they could have locked the doors for <n> seasons
and they'd have been printing money once the panic started.

I'm sure it was a process not an event.

But if only knowing then what we know now,
they could have locked the doors for <n> seasons
and they'd have been printing money once the panic started.

The biggest travesty with Rileys was they surely had credibility with distributors, etc, and could have gotten a sizeable amount of inventory before the panic...

you are correct but both my thumbs and index fingers are killing me trying to depress the slide lock. If I drop the mag 1/2" it's much easier so something is up with the mags. "I HAVE BLISTERS ON MY FINGERS", John Lennon.:)[rockon]

Can’t really tell if this is just humor or you didn’t understand what he posted to you. I’m sure this is something that’s been beat to death on Gun forums as well, and everybody has their own comfort of doing things, but I’ll repeat it anyway just for clarification,

A lot of people, myself included, have been trained and drilled into our heads that it is a slide LOCK, for locking the slide back only, and not to be used as a slide release. Something something muscle memory and fine motor skills.

We were taught to use our off hand up and over the slide, not pinching it between two fingers, but over the top, palm on the slide, with your thumb towards you, gripping the slide and giving a good pull back before releasing it fully to put the pistol into battery, then just sliding your off hand down and back into a good grip.

Some people will say this is BS and the slide lock is also a slide release. I’m not saying anyone’s right or wrong here, whatever works for you as far as I’m concerned, just saying that’s how a lot of people are trained and are training others.

Regardless, glad you found something and the Gods have rewarded you with a fair lot of ammo for it!

fired 150rds of the surplus ammo and all is well, pistol ate it all without one jam or misfeed. Sights suck in the light, very small tritium front and rear, need to replace with Truglo's.

fired 150rds of the surplus ammo and all is well, pistol ate it all without one jam or misfeed. Sights suck in the light, very small tritium front and rear, need to replace with Truglo's.
Can’t really tell if this is just humor or you didn’t understand what he posted to you. I’m sure this is something that’s been beat to death on Gun forums as well, and everybody has their own comfort of doing things, but I’ll repeat it anyway just for clarification,

A lot of people, myself included, have been trained and drilled into our heads that it is a slide LOCK, for locking the slide back only, and not to be used as a slide release. Something something muscle memory and fine motor skills.

We were taught to use our off hand up and over the slide, not pinching it between two fingers, but over the top, palm on the slide, with your thumb towards you, gripping the slide and giving a good pull back before releasing it fully to put the pistol into battery, then just sliding your off hand down and back into a good grip.

Some people will say this is BS and the slide lock is also a slide release. I’m not saying anyone’s right or wrong here, whatever works for you as far as I’m concerned, just saying that’s how a lot of people are trained and are training others.

Regardless, glad you found something and the Gods have rewarded you with a fair lot of ammo for it!
Of course that ammo ran well. Its the stuff those 1911s crave.
I shot a bunch of 230gn ball 20 years ago most dated 1920s

Back
Top Bottom